• ISO Refresh: antergos 17.5

Notable Changes: Packages updated for the live and minimal install environments.

Click here to see the full blog post

• Cnchi vs. Calamares

More and more distros adopt Calamares as their installer. It’s pointless to compare it with Cnchi - two products do different jobs, made differently, work differently.

Still, which one is more comfortable to use preparing an installation?

1. On computers with multiple internal hard disks Calamares gets often confused between disks and their partitions. Especially when a user moves forward | backward between Calamares screens. sdb disk parts are shown as sdaN, and vice versa.

Cnchi recently presents all disks and their partitions in a single (long) tree structure. There’s no place to any confusion.

2. Each of my internal disks has 16 partitions. Some parts has a Linux installed, others are empty. All partitions, occupied and free, are labeled folowwing a rigorous, easy understandable scheme.

Calamares doesn’t present partitions labels. It presents only device names (sda1, sda2,…, sdb1, sdb2,…). A user must remember which parts are free when he installs a new Linux.

Cnchi shows up device names along with their labels. It’s very easy to see which parts are already occupied, which ones are free. There’s no need to memorize anything.

3. Calamares displays only a partition’s sizes. All my Linux parts are 20G in size. Calamares info about parts sizes is useless.

Cnchi not only displays parts sizes but also, most importantly, the space used by file system in each partition. Empty parts have 0b of used space. If a partition is occupied, it is immediately visible from the size, used by data on it.

Along with parts labels, effectively used space helps enormously to identify and select right partitions while preparing an installation.

4. Calamares doesn’t offer any possibility to relabel an existing partition, whether it is going to be formatted or not. For example, the / partition will never have a label once Calamares has finished to install something into it.

Cnchi allows to (re)label any partition, including /. Once Cnchi exits, all partitions maintain their old and new labels. Very handy.

5. Calamares LiveMedia almost never allows multiple reboots without extracting USB | DVD from a computer. If a LiveMedia is not extracted, fanny things may happen - computer doesn’t boot, or boots from LiveMedia but its disks are not detected, only one of internal disks is detected, etc.

Cnchi allows multiple reboots without extracting LiveMedia, and never gets confused. In fact, I install multiple Antergos instances - Mate, Cinnamon, Plasma, Gnome - from scratch and in different partitions, simply rebooting and never extracting the LiveUSB. Cnchi always boots and correctly detects all disks. Cool.

Calamares seems to be in endless beta state. Cnchi is very comfortable to use, very user friendly. I definitely prefer it over Calamares.

Regards

• @just As one of the devs of Cnchi I highly thank your words.

I know there is a lot to improve in Cnchi, though. (it has a BIG todo list…) and neither Dustin or me have enough free time to do it.

If somebody has python coding skills I could give him little tasks to do… or he/she could start by checking Cnchi’s github issues… :grin:

Cheers!

• May be i start up learning python coding, i want learning some coding for long time, but this will take mostly one year or so to be in a state of help on coding with it ;)

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    http://kamprad.net/howto-installing-antergos/
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/1883/how-to-include-system-logs-when-asking-for-help

• Zen of Python
    Although never is often better than right now.

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    http://kamprad.net/howto-installing-antergos/
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/1883/how-to-include-system-logs-when-asking-for-help

iso36 refresh17 17.52 Posts 5Views 344