• Lost GDM when removing libsoup package

Please help me login again my Antergos. My mistake is removing libsoup package when it can’t updapte.
    Now i cant login with GDM.
    Thanks for your help.

• Boot into non-graphical mode (bash shell) with networking enabled by adding either one or another boot parameter:

• in Poettering’s slang
      systemd.unit=multi-user.target

• or, in native Linux language

Login with your user, and use pacman normally, as you always did. For example, to install a package:

sudo pacman -Syu libsoup

• Here also, Latest system update was only possible when i skip the libsoup update. Could reinstalling libsoup fix the impossibility to update libsoup? I don’t use gdm, so maybe i can delete libsoup without problems?

• @bartatantergos said in Lost GDM when removing libsoup package:

Here also, Latest system update was only possible when i skip the libsoup update.

Partial upgrades is the shortest way to break a system. It’s better to not upgrade at all than upgrade partially.

Could reinstalling libsoup fix the impossibility to update libsoup?

You should figure out why libsoup cannot be upgraded. Blindly reinstalling a pkg almost never solves anything in Linux.

I don’t use gdm, so maybe i can delete libsoup without problems?

I’m sure that libsoup is not used by and has no relation to GDM. Libsoup is needed by other, very important system packages though. Like webkitgtk, webkitgtk2, geoclue2, pidgin, totem, gvfs and related packages, networkmanager, caja, nemo, nautilus, to name a few.

Removing libsoup will cause many problems.

• uninstalling libsoup will break gnome for shure, and yes it is not directly related to gdm but uninstalling it will uninstall gdm also + all this here:

pacman -Rscp libsoup

If you want to get a working gnome Desktop again after uninstalling you will need to reinstall gnome totally:

$ sudo pacman -S gnome gnome-extra

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    http://gofccyourself.com
    my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• Should do I connect with LAN before log in and set up. Now I’m still at Non-graphic mode screen.
    I try “sudo pacman -Syu libsoup” and “sudo pacman -Rscp libsoup” but failed T_T

• If connection worked previously in GUI, and the problem is with display manager only (unable to login), then no. There’s no need to do anything special with the connection. It works independently from GUI. If it worked in DE, it will work in bash.

But again, libsoup is not directly related to GDM. If libsoup is missing, you can’t login not because GDM doesn’t work - the whole system is broken.

If a missing libsoup is the only problem with the system, then download libsoup from ALA (former ARM) using another OS. It is here:

https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/l/libsoup/libsoup-2.58.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

Then boot into bash shell, and install downloaded file as a local package:

sudo pacman -U /path/to/downloaded/libsoup.tar.xz

Once installed this way, the package will be treated by pacman as a regular package. Pacman will be automatically upgrading it thereafter.

• Libsoup is needed by NetworkManager to work. If libsoup is missing, I do believe that Internet connection doesn’t work. Once in bash, check the Network Manager daemon status with

systemctl status NetworkManager

If the Network Manager works correctly, its status is:

┌──[just]@[alexasm]:~$
    └─> systemctl status NetworkManager
    ● NetworkManager.service - Network Manager
       Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
       Active: active (running) since Thu 2017-05-04 07:32:02 MSK; 33min ago
         Docs: man:NetworkManager(8)
     Main PID: 498 (NetworkManager)
        Tasks: 3 (limit: 4915)
       CGroup: /system.slice/NetworkManager.service
               └─498 /usr/bin/NetworkManager --no-daemon

└─>

The NetworkManager daemon (service) is loaded, enabled, active and running.

If you connect thru mobile bradband, then check also ModemManager status. Both NetworkManager and ModemManager must be up and running for mobile broadband connection to work:

└─> systemctl status ModemManager
    ● ModemManager.service - Modem Manager
       Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/ModemManager.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
       Active: active (running) since Thu 2017-05-04 07:32:03 MSK; 37min ago
     Main PID: 492 (ModemManager)
        Tasks: 3 (limit: 4915)
       CGroup: /system.slice/ModemManager.service
               └─492 /usr/bin/ModemManager

└─>

The ModemManager daemon (service) is loaded, enabled, active and running.

• Never touched lib soup, because, yes it seams important. :-)
    Everything still working properly but impossible to update libsoup, see screenshot for error message:

0_1493976581729_Screenshot from 2017-04-29 15-57-47.png

Can somebody analyse from that error message what to do?
    Thanks.

• Where gstreamer0.10 pops up from? It is dead more than 3 months ago. Any upgrade after the end of January 2017 should reveal it and, hopefully, induce to a search for a solution.

Please, read the forum here, here, and here.

• @just Sorry, found only this topic while searching the forum. Thanks!

• @just I tried this, but my laptop cant found other hard drive, so I have no internet connection.
    What should I do now?

• @sambidao88 said in Lost GDM when removing libsoup package:

@just I tried this, but my laptop cant found other hard drive, so I have no internet connection.
    What should I do now?

If you believe that the missing libsoup is the only problem with the computer, and that there’s no Internet connection on it, than you can:

• So I decide to reinstall my Antergos, it’s problem when I dont have anything case for Backup my Data T_T. Thanks Guys for your helps!!!

lost6 gdm33 removing8 libsoup2 Posts 14Views 811