• Deepin DE available at install

Hi!
    I am a big fan of Antergos and Deepin DE. I would love to see Deepin available at the installation process.
    Yes, I know I can install it but I would like it to be able to choose it at the installation process without going through the hassle of doing it after installing another de.
    Is there a way to vote for that or donate in order for it to be implemented?

Thank you!

• Hi,

Thanks for our suggestion. The problems we face when adding a new DE are:

• Create a nice post-setup configuration. We don’t want to provide a “vanilla” DE (which can be acomplished by simply installing the correct packages), but we really want to provide a “unique” antergos setup. This takes a lot of time to do, but then it’s not a big deal maintaining it.

• Maintain an updated DE (mainly with GTK DE’s). It can give us a lot of headaches if the DE does not keep up with Gtk releases. Last time I checked Deepin was amongst these ones (hopefully this has changed, I really don’t know).

If you’re willing to collaborate, what would be best is to do some kind of list of all the setup changes you do from having a vanilla desktop to a full setup desktop (themes, icons, apps…). But of course you have to setup everything using gsettings.

You might want to check what it is already done for Gnome and other Gtk based DE’s:
    https://github.com/Antergos/Cnchi/blob/master/scripts/postinstall.sh
    and
    https://github.com/Antergos/Cnchi/blob/master/scripts/90_antergos.gschema.override

Cheers!

• I’m running Deepin next to KDE for over a month now and the Deepin DE updates on a regular bases without any problems. For the last month I’ve never run into any kind of problem after an update. My experience with deepin in the past, is that it eventually breaks or shows glitches at some point. That hasn’t been the case until now and I’ve been using it constantly in that time. I’m willing to participate with feedback, but my technical knowledge isn’t that big on Arch.

• But it has some issues, with theming+Icons, and for me it is not having any outstanding difference to other GTK based DM.
    Or what is making deepin “it” ?

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    http://kamprad.net/howto-installing-antergos/
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/1883/how-to-include-system-logs-when-asking-for-help

• @joekamprad You’re absolutely right with the theming and icons. I’d like to see that changed also, but to me Deepin has a certain appeal over Gnome. It’s the layout and the system menu, I really do like that one a lot. I agree that there are flaws, but if I compare it with the version from a year ago, it is seriously on its way to maturity.

• This post is deleted!
  • @joekamprad said in Deepin DE available at install:

But it has some issues, with theming+Icons, and for me it is not having any outstanding difference to other GTK based DM.
    Or what is making deepin “it” ?

All non Gnome 3 GTK DEs have theming and icon issues. My special thanks for this go out to the Gnome/GTK3 devs who hardcoded their adwaita ( sanskrit language meaning “the only one”) theme in the GTK toolkit.
    J.

• Sanskrit अद्वैत (ádvaita, “not dual”)

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    http://kamprad.net/howto-installing-antergos/
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/1883/how-to-include-system-logs-when-asking-for-help

• @karasu Thank you for the reply.
    Unfortunately, I lack the knowledge to that. I don’t even know what gsettings is. The only hope is if some linux knowing stranger, very fond of Deepin and Antergos, starts working on this problem.

• @bpoerwo I just intalled Deepin DE on Antergos. The first thing I encountered is I cannot change icons theme for the dock. Oh how I crave for a decent Deeping DE integration.

• @osomfinch Have you tried to restart the computer? Somehow the changes appear only after restart. The only icon that doesn’t change is the filesystem icon, the rest changes. There are inconsistensies, but Deepin is still a relatively young DE and still in development.

• There are inconsistensies, but Deepin is still a relatively young DE and still in development.

So not adding it is the right decision atm. ;)

Maybe in a few months… who knows?

• Absolutely, it’s much too early to add it right now. Otherwise I’ll let, for those who are interested, know in this post about the progressions within Deepin from time to time.

• @bpoerwo
    Yes, I did a couple times. Still no change. Sad.
    But anyway, it looks so gorgeous. Hope to see it as my main DE as soon as possible.

• @karasu
    Is there something not very linux-proficient person can do to help with that?
    For example, I know what things can be improved in Deepin DE to provide a much better DE experience.
    Some of them: Turning natural scrolling for touchpad exclusively, not making mouse wheel have it; ability to bind some of ‘f’ keys for volume and brightness control, power button behavior management, implementation of libinput gestures with possibility to manage it via GUI, etc.

• @osomfinch The problems you describe sounds like they are specific to your situation or hardware. I’m not running into those problems.
    First of all: Which icon set are you trying to work?
    Then, the problems you name in your second post are mostly basic functions, that do work at my system. The Deepin menu is very clear and works well to adjust those functions. Also the function keys on the keyboard work well under Deepin.
    Which DE do you have installed besides Deepin. I’ve tried it before with LXDE and Deepin didn’t perform well with that combination, but with KDe it works well. I guess there are some elements in KDE that makes Deepin runs smooth.

• I meant XFCE instead of LXDE.

• @bpoerwo U gave cinnamon isntalled. And after I installed Deepin, keyboard shortcuts for brightness leve doesn’t work anymore. How I am tired of this? Do you have any idea what might be the case and how to solve it?

• Try to install KDE or Gnome with it. Like you, I’m not a Linux wizzard, but the problems you’re running running into are quite the same as I had when I installed it with XFCE. There must be elements in those desktop enviroments that the Deepin package misses to run smoothly under Arch. Maybe my theory isn’t correct, but Deepin really works with them.
    All the basic functions and even icon switch or themes work well, with that combination.

• @osomfinch

Unfortunately, I lack the knowledge to that. I don’t even know what gsettings is. The only hope is if some linux knowing stranger, very fond of Deepin and Antergos, starts working on this problem

http://www.techytalk.info/customize-default-desktop-environment-settings-gnome-centric-linux-distributions/

deepin11 Posts 26Views 1749