• Chromium does not start anymore

So, I tried to run my secondary browser chromium today. First I git an erro message saying error while loading shared libraries: libicui18n.so.58: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory. This could be, well, fixed ( or not) by installing the icu58 package from aur. After installing that package I git a different error saying error while loading shared libraries: libwebp.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.
    Any ideas how to fix this?
    How can something like this happen with official packages?
    J.

J.

• libwebp updated early. Now, they provide libwebp.so.7 instead of libwebp.so.6.

Be patient, wait for chromium to keep up.

• Patience? Where can i flag Chromium as broken?
    J.

• @Jeannie____ uau, that icu package is poping up bugs in our forums hehehe,

https://forum.antergos.com/topic/6594/instalar-navegador-iridium-ungoogled-chromium/31
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/6777/epiphany-broken-because-of-icu-update
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/6776/firefox-kde-is-broken/2

Cheers!

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• libicui18n.so vs. libwebp.so.6 lib ?

libwebp 0.6.0-1 Last Updated: 2017-04-29 15:10 UTC

usr/lib/libicui18n.so is provided by:
    icu Last Updated: 2017-04-29 15:04 UTC
    and is a second level dependency caus harfbuzz-icu is depending on it…
    reminds me on this here:

https://forum.antergos.com/topic/6667/chromium-58-won-t-start/4

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• @Jeannie____ yes, because you installed a package from AUR. I guess no one tried to downgrade the icupackage… ok then, i hope you solve your problem.

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• I had the same issue because the recent ICU update failed when I tried to install it together with munspell or something like that. There was an error during the installation and it broke everything, even pacman, so I couldn’t upgrade or install anything or do whatever with pacman. I couldn’t even open Nautilus and other software. All depend on the libicui18n.so.58 library.

I had to manually download ICU (or go to /var/cache/pacman/pkg) from the website, extract the files and rsync all of them into the /usr directory. I also did the same with several other software I updates before this issue. Luckily that solved everything and then I did a full update of all the available updates and everything was fine.

Lucky me

A few examples of the commands I had to use:

tar -xvf theicufile.tar.xv

cd usr
    rsync -a bin /usr/bin
    rsync -a lib /usr/lib
    etc...

I did all the rscyncing per folder to avoid any extra issues, because rsync was still quite new to me.

Antergos & Windows 7 Pro | Asrock x370 K4 - Ryzen 1600 - GTX 950 (replace with Radeon 570/580/Vega) - 16GB DDR4 2400 - Samsung 960 pro 512GB (Windows) + Samsung 850 EVO 256 GB (Antergos) + 2x 2TB HGST HDD + more storage - RM550x Gold PSU

• I wonder if anyone who advised me about the icu package and ciriticised me for installing aur packages for icu58 has actually read that my chromium doesn’t start due to libwebp.so.6 not being available?
    Any solution for the missing libwebp.so.6 lib?
    J.

• News: I reinstalled Chromium. Now the libwebp error is gone, replaced by this one:
    /usr/lib/chromium/chromium: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/chromium/chromium: undefined symbol: hb_font_set_variations
    J.

• @Jeannie____ My brained didn’t process that part of your message to be honest :P

Still, you could do the same with that library as I’ve written in my previous post.

Antergos & Windows 7 Pro | Asrock x370 K4 - Ryzen 1600 - GTX 950 (replace with Radeon 570/580/Vega) - 16GB DDR4 2400 - Samsung 960 pro 512GB (Windows) + Samsung 850 EVO 256 GB (Antergos) + 2x 2TB HGST HDD + more storage - RM550x Gold PSU

• your chromium is still 57 ? or the actual 58…
    actual libwebp is providing:
    /usr/lib/libwebp.so.7
    Last Updated: 2017-04-29 15:10 UTC

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• Using Chromium 58.
    The libwebp version in my system is libwebp 0.6.0-1. A pacman -Syyu shows me my system is up to date.
    J.

• but you are still ignoring harfbuzz to update?

pacman -Qs harfbuzz

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• @Jeannie____ Compile chromium-dev from AUR. Will take a while but i should work.

• @psscnp142 said in Chromium does not start anymore:

@Jeannie____ Compile chromium-dev from AUR. Will take a while but i should work.

I have been compiling iridium from the AUR for the last 2 hours, only 9000 out of 27000 objects are left to process now with my cpu temperature at constant 88°C. Won’t do the same with chromium.
    J.
    P.S. My harfbuzz packages are up to date.

• Well, that is the solution. Chromium just need to be re-compiled with libwebp.so.7. That is it.

Either you(@Jeannie____ ) wait for the package maintainer to compile chromium on a system with existing libwebp.so.7 and provide the binaries. Or, you compile it yourself. There is nothing we can do here…

• @psscnp142 said in Chromium does not start anymore:

Well, that is the solution. Chromium just need to be re-compiled with libwebp.so.7. That is it.

Either you wait for the package maintainer to compile chromium on a system with existing libwebp.so.7 and provide the binaries. Or, you compile it yourself. There is nothing we can do here…

So you’re proposing to compile packages from the official repos myself to keep them up to date or are you proposing to poke the maintainers to do their job?
    Who is “you” by the way?
    J.

• @Jeannie____ please, do not throw your fustration to others, they’re just trying to help.

Having said that, chromium is working perfectly well here (full updated system without the help of any AUR packages).

These are my installed packages (in case it helps):

local/harfbuzz-icu 1.4.5-2
    local/icu 59.1-1
    local/chromium 58.0.3029.81-4
    local/libwebp 0.6.0-1

Tell me if you need me to check any other package version.

EDIT: I correct myself, I was using a non updated mirror.

EDIT2: I fully updated the system now, no changes on those packages. Chromium still works indeed.

Cheers!

anymore7 chromium18 Posts 23Views 2313