• Splitting Antergos isos

Hi folks,

so I got this idea of splitting the Antergos iso files.
    I mean, Antergos’ default desktop is Gnome right?

Why not offer an iso with Gnome only where all necessary packages are included. Call it an offline installation medium where you don’t need an internet connection. This is that kind of iso that almost every distro offers.

And there is the well known normal iso where you do need an internet connection and can choose between several desktops. And this pretty much is like the “netinstall” iso of debian.

Would that be too much extra effort, or is it something that could be useful, since users can get the iso and install it offline?

Cheers

Please give a feedback after you get help so the thread can be set to solved.

• Hi folks,

so I got this idea of splitting the Antergos iso files.
    I mean, Antergos’ default desktop is Gnome right?

Why not offer an iso with Gnome only where all necessary packages are included. Call it an offline installation medium where you don’t need an internet connection. This is that kind of iso that almost every distro offers.

And there is the well known normal iso where you do need an internet connection and can choose between several desktops. And this pretty much is like the “netinstall” iso of debian.

Would that be too much extra effort, or is it something that could be useful, since users can get the iso and install it offline?

Cheers

• I’m unable to go into detail on the reasons (no time), but this is [b:1zy7xhta]not[/b:1zy7xhta] something that we would ever officially provide. I will gladly explain at another time

Cheers!

• Alright, waiting impatiently

• Hi,

Hehehe… I have something in mind that you’ll like… but first I have to persuade the other devs (It’s not going to be easy

Sorry I can’t be more specific because we have to discuss this first and I don’t want to make anything public until we reach a “consensus”.

Cheers!

• Like I said before
    @“b1n0ry”:1fs11rot said:

Alright, waiting impatiently

Maybe it doesn’t have to be 2 isos.
    It could be something like that:
    |–Antergos + KDE + Need to be online for downloading DE packages
    |–Antergos + MATE + Need to be online for downloading DE packages
    and so on

But If I dig deeper, I see that there could be some problems. You could provide the offline Gnome Antergos only from one major release to another. So if a user installs from an older iso, and packages and depencies etc. get changed meanwhile, he will end up with a broken desktop after updating. I think I see where the problem is
    Well, forget it, was just an idea

Posts 6Views 1133