• Cinnamon Theme and icons is not working

Hello…
    Newbie so please be gentle…
    Updatet the system today with a lot of packages. After update all my icons is set to Numix and it is not possible to change icons. I have a lot of icons installed, but even if I select another icon the system does not change. The themes are also locked. I can change theme in the settings, but nothing happens in the system.

Please help. If you need logs or other data please specify where I can find it.

/Ståle

• @stanil Same issue here. Desktop background disappeared and window decorations dissapeared after update. Desktop configuration GUI can be brought but doesn’t work anymore. Cinnamon is not very usable, now.

• Same problem here as well. Updated PC yesterday, and when I started it up today my desktop background was black, and theme customization not working. Even custom media keys for changing the current song playing aren’t working anymore. Any help would be appreciated.

• After some more research I found that my Desktop Enviroment has been replaced by GNOME. It was possible to log in to GNOME by changing DE at the login promt. All desktop configuration worked fine in GNOME. Even GNOME tweak tool. Some changes I did in GNOME followed over to Cinnamon. Icons for example, but not desktop background.
    In some way an application in the update has installed the GNOME enviroment. I did not have this installed before the update.
    Since my installation was only a coupple of weeks old, I reinstalled. Byt I will not mark this as solved as other users has the same problem.

Is there a manual way to reset the desktop enviroment to Cinnamon?

• Cinnemon Desktop Enviroment has been replaced by GNOME, caus of the update to Gnome 3.24 ?
    Is this reproducible on all Cinnamon installations?
    @developers

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    http://gofccyourself.com
    my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• Cinnamon is still present, but icon themes, backgrounds, and window decorations are not working properly. GNOME is also present (as described above) and can be used. Hopefully, Cinnamon will not be replaced - GNOME is not my DE of choice (to say the least).

• I can confirm this has also happened to me, and while I can log in to the Cinnamon desktop, my wallpaper has now disappeared and I can’t change it.

Also, my themes don’t work, nor does the text scaling option under the fonts configuration which was all working fine before the latest gnome updates.

I have Antergos running Cinnamon desktop on 2 machines and have the same issues on both.

Additionally, for some reason when I try to delete something from Startup Applications, it disappears, and I can see the shortcut has been deleted from ~/.config/autostart, but when I log out and log back in again, the shortcuts have re-appeared. Not sure if it’s related to the Cinnamon issues mentioned above of just something weird with the Startup Applications, but thought I would mention it in case it’s related.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• cinnamon depends on:
    gnome-themes-standard what is not yet updated to 3.24
    But i can not see that much more dependences to Gnome…
    if you simple reinstall it all should be fine ore we get some error messages out of this:

sudo pacman -S cinnamon

my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• Hi,

I tried re-installing Cinnamon as suggested, but as far as I can tell nothing has changed. My screen is still blank and the theme is still the Numix theme rather than my chosen theme.

The output from pacman on the re-install:

warning: cinnamon-3.2.8-2 is up to date -- reinstalling
    resolving dependencies...
    looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) cinnamon-3.2.8-2

Total Installed Size:  12.79 MiB
    Net Upgrade Size:       0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
    (1/1) checking keys in keyring                                                                                                  [#############################################################################] 100%
    (1/1) checking package integrity                                                                                                [#############################################################################] 100%
    (1/1) loading package files                                                                                                     [#############################################################################] 100%
    (1/1) checking for file conflicts                                                                                               [#############################################################################] 100%
    (1/1) checking available disk space                                                                                             [#############################################################################] 100%
    :: Processing package changes...
    (1/1) reinstalling cinnamon                                                                                                     [#############################################################################] 100%
    :: Running post-transaction hooks...
    (1/4) Compiling GSettings XML schema files...
    No such key 'scroll-method' in schema 'org.cinnamon.settings-daemon.peripherals.touchpad' as specified in override file '/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/90_antergos.gschema.override'; ignoring override for this key.
    No such key 'keyboard-applet-use-flags' in schema 'org.cinnamon' as specified in override file '/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/90_antergos.gschema.override'; ignoring override for this key.
    error parsing key 'overview-corner' in schema 'org.cinnamon' as specified in override file '/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/90_antergos.gschema.override': 0-5:can not parse as value of type 'as'.Ignoring override for this key.
    (2/4) Updating icon theme caches...
    (3/4) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
    (4/4) Updating the desktop file MIME type cache...

I logged out of my machine and then logged back in after re-installing Cinnamon to make sure that everything was reloaded cleanly.

One interesting thing to note is that when the lock screen is on, I can see my wallpaper. If I change the wallpaper then I can see it reflected when the screen is locked, but when I’m logged in, my desktop is just black and there is no wallpaper at all.

• I tried reinstalling Cinnamon as well. No fix. I also deleted all references to cinnamon, gnome, gtk2, gtk3 in my home folder. Included in the .config folder and any other hidden folder. No fix with this either.

• It can be everything @developers someone needs to get in here, i never used cinnamon so do not have a clue about this.
    Can be also a permission issue inside /home/user folder…

my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• Hi,

Not again… ;)

Each time a new Gtk version is out, Cinnamon shows some issues.

Maybe Cinnamon just needs a rebuild?

Let’s see what @lots.0.logs says.

• Bild Text
    Hm installed suddenly inside VM no issue on new install…

my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• As I stated earlier I reistalled the day after the issue started. Everything was fine with the reinstall. It was of cause Cinnamon. My other machne (A Surface pro 2 with Antergos Cinnamon on) never got the issue. I therefore suspect an application that was updated in the massive update some days ago (150 updates). The application was on my main machine, but not on the Surface 2. The upgrade probably messed things up, but maybe a new install of the same application works fine?

/Ståle

• I had the very same issues: Unchangeable missing background image, not working Shortcuts, unchangeable icons.

Inspired by the comments in this thread I removed the package “gnome-desktop” which removed a bunch a related packages as well.
    Result: Gnome is not listed as DE anymore, logout of cinnamon and login again -> everything is now back to normal.

I do not know how I ended up with these gnome-packages (might be my own fault) but at least it solved the issue for me and perhaps it helps you folks out there!

• @Datenpunk Thanks, this did the trick for me. I uninstalled gnome packages that were not required by Cinnamon, and then I reinstalled Cinnamon. Everything was fixed on next login.

• @sleeeep What gnome packages did you remove?

• @henryz have you tried removing gnome-desktop as @Datenpunk suggested?

• @sleeeep Will try that when I get off work.

• @sleeeep Removing gnome-desktop fixed the problem! Thanks very much.

theme32 cinnamon73 icons29 Posts 21Views 2680