• "Executing Dolphin as root is not possible"

How can we get these packages?

Downloading them and installing from the link above is ok. We devs have agreed to put them on “stable” repo, so they will be available with

pacman -S dolphin-root kate-root

(give 24h for all mirrors to update).

Question: should I/we do enything special in updating kate-root and dolphin-root?

Nope, they will update with new releases, because they will be on our repo (they could lag some days from original kate and dolphin, but only if some major changes make my patches unuseable, which I hardly doubt because they are really simple).

• @karasu said in "Executing Dolphin as root is not possible":

Nope, they will update with new releases, because they will be on our repo (they could lag some days from original kate and dolphin, but only if some major changes make my patches unuseable, which I hardly doubt because they are really simple).

Many Thanks! (again)

• @Ken-Miller127 has already reported earlier in this thread about a successful dolphin-root test in native Arch. I repeated the test, installing in native Arch both dolphin-root and kate-root, and can confirm Ken’s result - native Arch works with Antergos pkgs without a problem.

Then, I installed dolphin-root and kate-root in Bluestar, a Plasma-only Arch clone. With the same result - Bluestar regains root functionality and works flawlessly with Antergos pkgs.

Conclusion. Two Antergos pkgs work not only in Antergos itself, but also in native Arch and other true Arch clones.

• @just, they sure do but for some reason (post install) when running yaourt -Syua an error msg is generated. It is spurious, but should be fixed. Snippet below:

error: file owned by 'dolphin' and 'dolphin-root': 'usr/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/dolphin.mo'
    error: file owned by 'dolphin' and 'dolphin-root': 'usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES/dolphin.mo'
    error: file owned by 'dolphin' and 'dolphin-root': 'usr/share/locale/ug/LC_MESSAGES/dolphin.mo'
    error: file owned by 'dolphin' and 'dolphin-root': 'usr/share/locale/uk/LC_MESSAGES/dolphin.mo'

• @Ken-Miller127 said in "Executing Dolphin as root is not possible":

…It is spurious, but should be fixed…

Exactly the same situation here. Yaourt fires up fake error messages about dolphin and dolphin-root ownership during upgrades.

It’s because we were installing the pkgs locally, with pacman -U, and two pkgs aren’t exist (yet) in any repo.

From what I found in Internet, seems like it happens with most recent yaourt versions only. It didn’t happen with earlier yaourt versions. So yaourt people were saying that this fake error message should be fixed. Probably, it wasn’t done.

It doesn’t matter in Antergos. As you can see from @karasu’s post above, dolphin-root and kate-root will soon enter the stable [antergos] repo. As soon as it happens, the fake error message will go away. There’s nothing to worry about.

The easiest way to use Antergos pkgs in native Arch and true Arch clones is to attach [antergos] repo to them. It will allow to avoid the fake ownership error in target distros too.

• Thanks for the reply, @just. I’ll add the repo. Question: Will you upload the PKGBUILD to the AUR at some point, or do you intend to see if upstream first addresses the issues? For an experienced user, using the ‘proper’ commands is no problem. However, it would be awkward as all get-out for a newcomer to Plasma or Linux.

I’ve also posted regarding these two packages in the Manjaro forums, and one of their developers–@strit–expressed interest in it as well as several users, so it appears it could benefit the wider community, as well.

Regards

• @Ken-Miller127 said in "Executing Dolphin as root is not possible":

Thanks for the reply, @just. I’ll add the repo. Question: Will you upload the PKGBUILD to the AUR at some point,…

Stop, don’t move :-) . I have no relation neither to these two pkgs, nor to any development in Antergos in general. I’m an ordinary user only, as anybody else, not an Antergos dev.

Two pkgs were developed by @karasu. He is one of two Antergos devs.

Your question is not for me.

or do you intend to see if upstream first addresses the issues?

I doubt that Arch will decide to patch dolphin, kate, kwrite on its own. I think Arch will strictly follow what Kde-Gräßlin has to offer. I.e., no root in dolphin, kate, kwrite. I see no signs that Gräßlin might change his idea about limiting root access.

Other distros most ptobably will patch three packages, to allow root usage. Tumbleweed (openSUSE) has done it the same day when limited pkgs were arrived from Kde Project. Antergos is doing it now.

For an experienced user, using the ‘proper’ commands is no problem. However, it would be awkward as all get-out for a newcomer to Plasma or Linux.

Agree.

I’ve also posted regarding these two packages in the Manjaro forums,

Yes, I saw your post there, @c00ter ;-) . We keep our niks since Evolution times :-) .

and one of their developers–@strit–expressed interest in it as well as several users, so it appears it could benefit the wider community, as well.

Again, it’s not a question for me, I’m sorry. All Antergos sources are on GitHub. I hope that Antergos devs will be happy to share their work with other distros. All Antergos decisions are made only by them.

With respect

• dolphin-root and kate-root are in stable [antergos] repo now. Installed them both, contextually allowing pacman to remove dolphin and kate packages.

Everything works just fine. Simply continue to use kate and dolphin as you always did. Dolphin and kate may be used in regular user and root user modes.

There’s no need to use dolphin-root or kate-root names, nowhere. Continue to use dolphin and kate names.

@Jeannie____ Thank you to have started this topic. Thanks to your usual strong opinions :-) , expressed with strong words, the issue was solved in three days.

Edit

@Ken-Miller127 Two pkgs are in the regular repo now, and pacman removes dolphin. As expected, yaourt doesn’t return fake ownership error during upgrades anymore.

• My thanks go out to the whole Antergos team for solving this annoyance so fast!
    J.

• My thanks go out to the whole Antergos team for solving this annoyance so fast!

No problem! Thanks for reporting it!

I hope that Antergos devs will be happy to share their work with other distros.

It’s a really simple patch. Anyone can check our packages’ PKGBUILDs and patches at https://github.com/antergos/antergos-packages

Cheers!

• This is the “fix it” thread I was looking for. I finally got my old Kate and Dolphin function back!

Thanks to @karasu, the dev team and the whole Antergos community for this.

• @karasu great work thank you

root27 dolphin16 executing1 Posts 52Views 16923
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.