• "Executing Dolphin as root is not possible"

Since the latest KDE/Plasma5 updates, it’s not possible to run dolphin as root, neither with sudo dbus-launch dolphion nor with su dbus-launch dolphin, all that appears in the terminal is “Executing Dolphin as root is not possible”.
    Any ideas how to fix this?
    J.

• That’s the most assholish and patronizing commit I have seen in years. Where are we? In moron land where users all have no idea what they are doing? I can only hope someone pushes dolphin and kate without hardcoded blocked root access to the aur. I am not 4 years old, i know what I am doing when I run stuff as root.
    I have downgraded dolphin and kate so I can have my workflow and freedom back without having to bend under M. Grässlin’s dictate.
    J.
    P.S. Dolphin root actions are dysfunctional now too.

• From the land of wobbly windows

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    http://kamprad.net/howto-installing-antergos/
    how to add system logs

• From the land of M.Grässlin who believes all users are utter morons.

• I have the same problem. It looks that the problem is because the last one actualization.

• @crick87
    It is, the usage of dolphin and kate as super user has been actively and intentionally blocked due to a code change made by the plasma 5 developers. “Thou shallt not use these applications as root!”.
    J.

• @Jeannie____ said in "Executing Dolphin as root is not possible":

@crick87
    It is, the usage of dolphin and kate

and also of kwrite

as super user has been actively and intentionally blocked due to a code change made by the plasma 5 developers. “Thou shallt not use these applications as root!”.
    J.

Which doesn’t seem logic - konqueror may be freely run as root. At least, for now. Until they’ll block it too.

• Hi,

I haven’t tried myself, as I do not use Plasma, but have you tried pkexec ?

• @karasu said in "Executing Dolphin as root is not possible":

Hi,

…have you tried pkexec ?

Yes, I tried it. It behaves exactly as sudo and kdesu - dolphin, kate, kwrite cannot be launced.

I even tried ssx in another distro - the same story, neither of three can be executed.

It doesn’t depend on sudo, pkexec, kdesu, ssx - the block is inside dolphin itself, as described in the link, provided by @joekamprad:

{
    +#ifndef Q_OS_WIN
    +    // Check whether we are running as root
    +    if (getuid() == 0) {
    +        std::cout << "Executing Dolphin as root is not possible." << std::endl;
    +        return EXIT_FAILURE;
    +    }

• I think it’s a (bad) joke. or a temporary Grässlin’s mental eclipse, or a piece of debug or testing code, leaved inside dolplhin by error. It seems so strange and illogic that it can’t be the truth. Though it is.

• @Jeannie____ , @just, I’ve followed this problem hither and yon, even tried kwrite/konqueror, but to no avail.

Interesting to note, is I can give ownership of most root-owned files to current user (me), edit the file, save & exit, then change ownership back to root. I only need Dolphin root-priviledges setting up Plasma initially, anyway–usually. ;)
    But yeah–cruel friggen un-funny joke. :(
    Regards

• Martin Graesslins reaction to the criticism in his decision is interresting too. He’s talking to a OpenSuSE maintainer here:
    alt text
    Just for this insult, every distribution should revert his commit
    J.
    Edit: OpenSuSE already has reverted Graesslin’s commit

• OpenSuSE already has reverted Graesslin’s commit

Do you have a link where I can find this, please?

• @Jeannie____ Is it possible that he found a serious security breach and doesn’t want to reveal it so he disabled the root access? (since root access is already a risk)

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• I doubt this, if this were the case, the suse guys wouldn’t have reverted it.
    J.

• @karasu https://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2017/02/editing-files-as-root/

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    http://kamprad.net/howto-installing-antergos/
    how to add system logs

• Please note M. Graesslin’s comment dating from 2.19, 2017, 6.17 pm in the mentioned link
    J.

• @karasu said in "Executing Dolphin as root is not possible":

OpenSuSE already has reverted Graesslin’s commit

Do you have a link where I can find this, please?

openSUSE guys talk about the dolphin’s problem here. The thread is long, they talk about patched and working dolphin 17.04.0 near the end of the thread. The final post even states that dolphin 17.04.0 may be run again as root, in openSUSE.

The thread is generic, it doesn’t contain details about their patch. I suppose they have simply commented out the function, which blocks dolphin, making it to return the successful exit code even for root’s UID.

I do not have a functional openSUSE right now. So I cannot check this fact. We have dolphin 17.04.0 in Arch too, but cannot run it as root.

• I was looking though these OpenSuse repos until my wife made me start a video, so I’ll leave it for you all to do: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/

executing1 root9 dolphin6 Posts 52Views 5623