• Install Antergos in USB and use it as installer

Hi, as the title say, i’d like to know if it’s possible to install Antergos inside an USB (not use an .iso image) and at the same time install Antergos on real machines through it.
    OR perhaps install Antergos and save the latest .iso also, making the pendrive somehow prompt me the option to boot the installed OS or boot the live image, both on USB.
    More as curiosity, but very useful if i manage to do it, i can install basic softwares on it if i need to fix a pc, but also install the OS.

OBS: sorry i created the post in the wrong topic and don’t know how to move it.

Thanks for your attention,
    Cheers!

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @fernandomaroto A live USB will do that, though it will not have persistent memory (like TAILS). You can use USB sticks and external hard drives within the live USB. Anything not saved to one of those will not be saved with the OS.
    As to your question about storing software on the USB in addition to the OS, I would guess it is possible. You would have to mess with the partitions and make a separate one to store software. I’m being theoretica here, but I think it could work.

• @moredoor Do you mean using the live image in the USB and then try to redirect any persistent changes i want to a partition inside the USB?

I’ll try to take a look about installing grub inside pendrive and setting the live image in fstab, but no idea if this can work; that way i’d be able to boot installed system or cd image… And i’ll need to look if virtualbox here is reading pendrives, so i can test it.

I3wm - Mate desktop
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

• @fernandomaroto I think so. Like I said, I haven’t actually done this, but it’s a great idea. I will also try to do this. I feel like it should be possible…

• hehehe, yeah, it’s a little crazy, but is gonna be fun if work :+1:

I3wm - Mate desktop
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

• Interesting is how to get cnchi to run from a installed system and not a iso!

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    http://kamprad.net/howto-installing-antergos/
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/1883/how-to-include-system-logs-when-asking-for-help

• @joekamprad Yes. The installation to USB is about to finish here, took longer than i thought, so i won’t test today. Hopping to have more time soon. (i booted the cd on VM to install in pendrive)

I had 2 ideas as workarounds, maybe 3:

1. Iso and installed system on different partitions (then choose to boot one or another, unfortunately i have not much knowledge about GRUB2)
    2. Only installed system in USB and somehow use fsarchiver or some other way to clone to hd, may need an aditional tool to fix grub at the targeted pc.
    3. I won’t disclose that now, since it’s a very weird idea, a MacGyver install heehehe

I3wm - Mate desktop
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

• @fernandomaroto I made a USB as well, and am wondering if the additional partition might be confusing to the computer while booting. Have you considered this? I’m thinking there has to be a way to hide partitions.

• what is about something like this: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/multibootusb/ ?
    It is for multiple live distro but may you can use this.

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    http://kamprad.net/howto-installing-antergos/
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/1883/how-to-include-system-logs-when-asking-for-help

• @moredoor yes it’s not easy, not sure if i’ll be able to do it, i could use dd to copy the live image to USB but can’t make partitions or it won’t boot, bad.

@joekamprad thanks, i’ll look into it (as far as i read is about creating multiple images not really installed distros) About your previous comment: It would be nice if cnchi could read without .iso indeed, the best method was to use the own Antergos installer.

I3wm - Mate desktop
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

• Ok so far only Mcgyver way worked, using virtualbox hehehe.

*unfortunately Antergos is unbootable under VB when a partition is created during installation, only “erase and install” works in VB, so i can’t boot here for further tests.
    It’s booting fine now, i guess i perfected the method :)

TESTED on USB, anyway i’m not responsible with any problems you face, i recommend you to test in USB drivers first for learning the procedure.

Procedures:

1. Install Antergos in USB (real install not burned image)
      1.1) optional, set aditional partitions like swap, /home etc (pendrive won’t boot in VB)

Boot the USB

1. Install VB and all it’s stuffs
    2. unmount the parition where you want to install the new OS:
      unmount /dev/sdX
      Or with Gnome disks
      Or using GParted
    3. Change the drive permissions
      sudo chmod 777 /dev/sdX
    4. Create a vmdk link to the real hd with:
      sudo VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename path/to/file/filename.vmdk -rawdisk /dev/sdX
    5. Change the vmdk ownership:
      sudo chown your_user:users path/to/file/your_file.vmdk

X means you partition, if is an unalocated USB you can use sdb, sdc, but if was formated and contain 1 or more partition you should use sdb1, sdc1,sdb2 in step 5

OBS: can be sda, sdb or even partitions if you like
    7) Run VB as sudo
    8- Use the vmdk disk you created as disk, don’t create another
    9) Add the Antergos iso in VM (OR any other iso, YES you can use antergos that way to install any distro)

1. Start the VM, it will boot into the livecd, check if the hd was detected (browse the folders), install antergos the way you want in the real hd.

That way you have an USB installed Antergos with the ability to install in real hd, through VB.

Yeah, it’s weird, extensivelly tested in USB, not tested in internal nor external hd.
    I’ll test installing dual boot windows/linux in USB and see how it goes

Another interesting thing is that you can fool Clonezilla with this method to change the partition, example
    The original is sdb1 to sda4 (All you need to do is add disks before the targeted one in VB to iniciate the count, play with it and you’ll understand)

And yes, i really like VB :)

Cheers!

I3wm - Mate desktop
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

usb54 installer33 Posts 11Views 709