• How to get application menus?

In Gnome in Antergos, I don’t have many of the application menus, like the one in Spotify for example. How do I access these menus?

Thanks

Antergos & Windows 7 Pro | Asrock x370 K4 - Ryzen 1600 - GTX 950 (replace with Radeon 570/580/Vega) - 16GB DDR4 2400 - Samsung 960 pro 512GB (Windows) + Samsung 850 EVO 256 GB (Antergos) + 2x 2TB HGST HDD + more storage - RM550x Gold PSU

• without words:
    Bild Text

Bild Text

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• Want proper menus? Use something different than Gnome 3. Gnome 3 has decided to remove window decorations and menus that could confuse the user and to replace them with so called client side decorations that hide menus and everything behind cryptic icons.
    J.

• @joekamprad Thanks for the info!

It’s a strange development that menus in some applications are hidden, if you ask me… In that aspect I really like the Ubuntu style. The menus are removes from the application windows to save space and are display in the top bar, which Antergos also has. So why not make more use of that?

Antergos & Windows 7 Pro | Asrock x370 K4 - Ryzen 1600 - GTX 950 (replace with Radeon 570/580/Vega) - 16GB DDR4 2400 - Samsung 960 pro 512GB (Windows) + Samsung 850 EVO 256 GB (Antergos) + 2x 2TB HGST HDD + more storage - RM550x Gold PSU

• spotify is kinda “webapp” only like a browser window … so it has its own menu.
    What you say about ubuntu is different because of unity, what you get here is Gnome-Shell itself.
    You can change the “Application Menu” also with gnome-tweak-tool:
    Bild Text
    then you have this menu in top left windowtitle…

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @EarthMind
    Not everybody ( including me) likes the menus separated from the application. Especially on bigger screens this solution made for small form factors does not make any sense at all and slows down your workflow considerably.
    J.

• @Jeannie____ thats true… if i have a window open on right bottom of my screen and the menu is top left it is clearly unergonomic!

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• Thanks again joek!

Now that you mention it, I do agree that it can be troublesome sometimes, especially on bigger screens yes. What I found confusing and rather unintiutive was that it wasn’t always clear from the start which (hidden) menu was active in Unity. It caused quite some confusions and unnessary extra clicks, but it was nothing that was too torublesome or something like that.

The menu in the title bar is much more interesting, and if I’m not mistaken, in Ubuntu that was now standard?

I also read this now: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/global-menu-for-gnome-extension-development which is good news for me :P

• Gnome3 extensions, often a source of trouble and problems after the half-yearly Gnome updates. Let’s see what happens when Gnome 3.24 comes in.
    J.

• @Jeannie____ i have it already in a virt and extensions are having no issue.
    Open a treat for yor beloved theme KDE vs. Gnome is not an alternative for you???

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad said in How to get application menus?:

@Jeannie____ i have it already in a virt and extensions are having no issue.
    Open a treat for yor beloved theme KDE vs. Gnome is not an alternative for you???

No, it isn’t. I’d have to infect my system with Gnome 3 to do that.
    J.

application21 menus5 Posts 11Views 763