• Premiere Pro-like video editor suggestions

This may be a silly/stupid question, but I am trying to decide on a video editor and thought I would reach out here for suggestions.

I recently took a short class in using Adobe Premiere Pro, which is considered (I gather) as one of the standard video editors for professionals. I’m not a professional, but I would like to find a video editor that works similarly to Premiere Pro, so that what I learned in the class is still useful. Ideally, I want to be able to edit music videos and perhaps short films/vlogs.

I am using Gnome (if that matters) and ideally would rather not install a bunch of KDE libraries on my system, which probably eliminates Kdenlive, as I’d like it to integrate well (if possible). The three I’ve glanced at so far are OpenShot, Pitivi, and Cinelerra. I vaguely recall having tried Pitivi once and not caring for it, so OpenShot and Cinelerra are the current frontrunners. All thoughts and suggestions (aside from going back to Windows) are welcome. Thanks to everyone in advance.

• I recently found a top quality commercial one called Lightworks. The price is decent for what it offers.

In other cases, for free/open source ones, a search on the net will get your plenty

Antergos & Windows 7 Pro | Asrock x370 K4 - Ryzen 1600 - GTX 950 (replace with Radeon 570/580/Vega) - 16GB DDR4 2400 - Samsung 960 pro 512GB (Windows) + Samsung 850 EVO 256 GB (Antergos) + 2x 2TB HGST HDD + more storage - RM550x Gold PSU

• @EarthMind - That might be worth a look as well.

@EarthMind said in Premiere Pro-like video editor suggestions:

In other cases, for free/open source ones, a search on the net will get your plenty

I know there are plenty of video editors out there. I’d just like to find one that somewhat closely replicates Adobe Premiere Pro if at all possible while also not pulling in a lot of KDE stuff since I do not (and do not want to) run KDE on my system. Thanks.

• I understand.

I know you pointed out that you wanted similar software. So I’m not trying to point out “do some effort yourself” or something like that. It’s just that with the open source tools, I don’t know much about, so I could just forward you to the internet :-)

Antergos & Windows 7 Pro | Asrock x370 K4 - Ryzen 1600 - GTX 950 (replace with Radeon 570/580/Vega) - 16GB DDR4 2400 - Samsung 960 pro 512GB (Windows) + Samsung 850 EVO 256 GB (Antergos) + 2x 2TB HGST HDD + more storage - RM550x Gold PSU

• @EarthMind - I understand. There is so much out there. As I said in another post elsewhere, the amount of choice is both the greatest strength and the greatest weakness of Linux. Strength in that there is likely something for nearly everyone. Weakness in that there is often so much to choose from it can make it hard to decide on something, especially if, like me, you don’t really want to install a bunch of stuff on your machine.

• @WaltH That’s true.

Have you checked review or “how to use” videos of the available editors on youtube? Maybe that can help you out more than this quiet thread :-)

Search for a video editor in edited videos. That’s actually quite funny!

• @EarthMind - That’s actually a good idea. I also just thought that whatever I install should also be available for Windows, as that is what my son and wife have on their systems (can’t convince them to make the switch). Since my wife and I do music together, it would be nice if we could both work on the videos using the same application.

With that additional criteria in mind, I guess I need to look at which video editors work in both Windows and Linux, then see which ones look at least similar from one platform to the next, then which ones are available in the Antergos repositories or AUR.

If nothing else, this “quiet thread” has helped me begin to flesh out a bit better what I want and need.

• Since I want it to also work on Windows, I can eliminate Cinelerra. That leaves me with eight possibilities:

• Avidemux
    • Blender
    • DaVinci Resolve
    • DaVinci Resolve Studio
    • Kdenlive (my last resort choice since it is KDE)
    • Lightworks
    • OpenShot
    • Shotcut

Now to do some more research.

• Good luck with that! I didn’t know Blender could be used as a video editor. I thought it was purely for 2/3D design.

You do sounds like you’re really into what you’re doing. What kind of music do you both make? Looking at your avatar, I’d guess Jazz :P

• @EarthMind - Although I wish I could write jazz, we’re a bit more in the singer/songwriter vein. My wife plays acoustic guitar and provides almost all the instrumentation whenever we perform, although I occasionally through in a little hand percussion (shaker, wood block, etc.). So most of what I write tries to fit with that, and we also look for songs by others that we think can work or that we have seen work with an acoustic guitar.

I read that Blender could also be used as a video editor, though I don’t know yet what its capabilities are. I don’t know how much I know about the video aspect. We’ve talked about making videos of our original songs, and our son has expressed interest in movie making, so I’m researching.

• Well, my two cents are that if your son is interested in movie making, invest a bit in his hobby and buy the commercial lightworks software if the feature set has most of the features you need. It’s software of which you know is and will still be actively developed, while the open source alternatives many times are a hobby project for many and die after some time. LW is also used for big films as you can see on their website.

• @EarthMind - I will certainly take a look at it. My son has expressed an off and on interest, so the basic version might be where we start if Lightworks ends up being the choice. As far as the open source choices, I’m sticking mainly to those that have been in development for several years or more.

• @WaltH HI, i had to use one video editor for a very simple thing, i tried pitivi and openshot and i couldn’t use them (wasn’t willing to spend time on them), i concluded that both require a learning curve to use them, so it seems they are very complete and professional.
    Then i tested kdenlive which allowed me to do what i wanted (merge more than 100 classes videos into 1), which seemed easier to manage, but also appear to be a powerful tool.
    The others i didn’t test but i installed Avidemux here to test something else when i have time.

I’d be interested in discover a video editor that could edit audio files like audacity but without the need of extracting them from the video.

Sorry for the long post.
    Cheers!

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @WaltH I did use Kdenlive on gnome as well. It works fine but the playback is slow if you use many effects.
    Now I try to learn Lightworks as it is a professional video editor but takes time to get used to it.
    The free version has a limit to 720p video. But that is ok for me. It works smoother than Kdenlive as I started to use it.

• @fernandomaroto said in Premiere Pro-like video editor suggestions:

@WaltH HI, i had to use one video editor for a very simple thing, i tried pitivi and openshot and i couldn’t use them (wasn’t willing to spend time on them), i concluded that both require a learning curve to use them, so it seems they are very complete and professional.
    Then i tested kdenlive which allowed me to do what i wanted (merge more than 100 classes videos into 1), which seemed easier to manage, but also appear to be a powerful tool.
    The others i didn’t test but i installed Avidemux here to test something else when i have time.

I’d be interested in discover a video editor that could edit audio files like audacity but without the need of extracting them from the video.

Sorry for the long post.
    Cheers!

I tried pitivi a while back and didn’t care for it that much. I know some (most?) video editors do allow you to separate the audio track from the video track, which would allow you to add in alternate audio or trim audio, but I don’t how much processing of audio any of them allow. That would be a nice feature, though, even if it weren’t as extensive as what can be done in Audacity.

@earthmind - Given that my son’s interest in video editing (expressed verbally but not really demonstrated) is at times fleeting, I think Lightworks Pro, while a very cool looking program, is a bit out of reach at $440 (U.S.), and the free version is too limited in terms of video formats supported for export. It also appears to be packaged in .deb and .rpm formats only, which adds in the possibility of something going wrong when trying to convert and install it on an Antergos system.

While I intend to look at some videos on using Blender to edit video (especially since my son from time to time also says he is interested in animation), I think I’ve narrowed things down to a choice between OpenShot and Shotcut, though I may also take a look at LiVES and maybe another look at Cinelerra, although neither of those is available in a version for my son’s and my wife’s Windows machines.

The more I explore, the harder it gets.

• @WaltH
    "It also appears to be packaged in .deb and .rpm formats only, which adds in the possibility of something going wrong when trying to convert and install it on an Antergos system."

You can use pamac to install lightworks. It is in AUR. The new version 14 is available now. Wich makes usage more easy.

• @WaltH You can also pay for a monthly subscription which reduces your expenses a lot and you can always cancel the subscription if it doesn’t work out.

But if your son’s desire of doing movie production isn’t all too serious, maybe Blender is a good starting point. It’s also very actively developed and not going to disappear anytime soon. Plus it’s a decent piece of software too!

• @louis1 - I believe that is the light version, which only supports a couple of video formats at reduced resolutions, according to the company’s website.

@EarthMind = I did see the monthly subscription, though the Pro version is not packaged for Arch. I do plan to take a look at Blender to see if it might be a good fit. I read somewhere that there is quite the learning curve, but it may well be worth it.

The fact that it has been around a while and is still in active development (along with the others I am considering) is a big plus.

• @WaltH Good luck with that!

I hope it works out for your son too.

• @EarthMind - Thanks!

pro-like1 editor4 premiere1 video17 Posts 24Views 1333