• Windows 7 dualboot - Can't install Antergos - missing ESP

So, I’ve finally come to the decision to use Linux on my main PC aswell, like I do on all my other machines allready, but I’m can’t completely give up Win7 as there’s a couple programs that don’t work in Linux (mainly Photoshop and Illustrator), which I need for work.

Anyways.

My sysem uses two disks (SSD for OS and HDD for data/files). I made room on my SSD to install Antergos, but I can’t install it, as the needed FAT32 ESP (boot partition) is nowhere to be found. I disabled the secure boot option in the UEFI and fast boot is not available in Win7 anyways, rebooted the system but still nothing.
    There’s two partitions to be found, but both are formatted in NTFS, which doesn’t help ofc. One small partition and C:.

So, my question would be, how do I get this done?

Is there another option in Antergos I’m missing, or is there an option to install Win7 in a different way so that I have a FAT32 ESP partition.

I’m at a loss here, as this is the first time I try to setup a system with dualboot capabilities.

• @jrs77 welcome !

What does the console say ???

sudo fdisk -l

Autodidacta en la VIDA …y en Linux, también.

• @jrs77

The route is like this.

1. Backup data.
    2. use gdisk to convert mbr to gpt on OS disk. Like gdisk /dev/sda
    3. Use gparted to shrink win7 partition to make room for linux and 200-300mb for esp and for swap.
    4. Install and pray to god for grub to detect your Windows 7 which is what my system is missing.
  • Yeah, Windows 7 is not showing in the Antergos Boot Screen. But thanks for the help there. It worked to some extend.

I can boot into Windows 7 through the motherboard tools by pressing F12 and then choosing the Windows Boot Loader, but as there’s two of them showing it’s a 50/50 chance to get the right oine, as they don’t stay in order.

Why has this to be so complicated? Why isn’t there an easier solution? Questions over questions…

Anyways, this solution isn’t working for me in the long run, so I guess my work PC won’t use Linux after all :(

• The Antergos Boot Loader has vanished now. It doesn’t show up anymore in the Bios F12 boot menu and the system automatically boots into Windows 7 instead.

• So, after installing Windows 7 completely new with the appropiate UEFI-settings I had the EFI bootpartition necessary to start a new try. After having installed Win7 and the mandatory drivers, and all that I went on to installing Antergos - Mate in the therefore reserved partitions (boot, root, home and swap) which I allready created (unformatted) when I installed Windows 7.

All went well until it was time again to boot into Windows 7. The Grub-loader didn’t have an entry for Windows 7, so I went through the BIOS boot loader. After booting into Windows 7 all looked good and I called it a day as it was late.
    The next day I started the PC and it booted straight into Windows 7 again instead of showing the Antergos boot-loader. So I rebooted and checked in the BIOS boot loader again and lo and behold the Antergos-entry was gone again.

I did everything by the book from the start, and still dual-boot doesn’t work :angry:

Seriously. This has to be the crappiest system ever invented, as it simply doesn’t work. And I don’t even have fancy hardware (Gigabyte GA H97-N WiFi, i7-5775C, 16GB Cruicial Ballsitix, 256GB Cruicial MX200). No graphics-cards, no soundcards, no nothing that could make it difficult really. BIOS is upto date aswell and works just fine.

So today I went ahead and killed the whole thing again and only installed Antergos - Mate. So far, even after rebooting a couple of times it’s just fine, but that still isn’t a solution, as I can’t use my Adobe software, which I pretty much need for work.

Tomorrow I’ll be installing Win7 again and ditch the whole Linux-idea for good on my main-rig. Linux is good for all of my media/office/internet rigs, but it proofs yet again that it isn’t made for professional use :disappointed:

• @jrs77 said in Windows 7 dualboot - Can't install Antergos - missing ESP:

Tomorrow I’ll be installing Win7 again and ditch the whole Linux-idea for good on my main-rig. Linux is good for all of my media/office/internet rigs, but it proofs yet again that it isn’t made for professional use :disappointed:

One possible solution IF you really want to use Linux for all of your needs could be to install Crossover Linux. It is a commercial product designed to allow people to run a variety of Windows programs on Linux (with varying degrees of success). It can apparently be made to run with most versions of Linux and has versions specifically built for Mint, Fedora/Red Hat, Ubuntu, and Debian. You can also search for specific programs on the Crossover website to confirm they work before purchasing. I used it several years ago and found it worked pretty well (better than Wine, upon which Crossover Linux is built), but I no longer have a need for it. Here’s the website, if you’re interested: Crossover Linux.

• I checked the compatibility list of crossover, just as I did with PlayOnLinux (Wine) before, but Photoshop and Illustrator don’t really work very well on either of those solutions.

Let’s face it, without native support for all the professional graphics-, 3d, video- and audio-software Linux isn’t really an alternative to Windows or MacOS. I especially need Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign, as these are the standards used in the economy. Without them noone can work as a professional graphics-designer in print-media. Same goes for the others I’ve mentioned. Adobe CS/CC, Adobe Premiere, Final Cut, Logic Pro, Cinema4D, 3dsMax, etc, etc, etc… these are the tools needed on Linux to make it a viable workstation OS.

I was interested in using Antergos for everything else, switching to Win7 only for work, but it doesn’t seem to work reliably, so there’s really nothing left then to degrade Linux as a toy OS.

• @jrs77 - Yes, it is unfortunate that Linux does not work well with many of the applications you’ve listed. However, that is not really the fault of Linux. Adobe, in particular, has shown little to no willingness to either develop Linux versions of their commercial applications or to work with others to help them do so.

I believe Maya is a Linux alternative to 3dsMax (at least at first glance), and it has been used by several commercial entities, as indicated here:

It may be harder to use Linux in the ways you envision, but I don’t think it is impossible, especially if whatever software you use (such as Open Shot instead of Adobe Premiere - and both Maya and Open Shot are cross-platform) can save or export projects into formats that can be read/edited by other software.

In the end, however, you have to use what you decide is best for you, but that does not “degrade Linux as a toy OS.” It simply means Linux may not be right for you at this time. Big difference.

• @jrs77 I didn’t test this method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlTgaWs9BD0 but maybe can allow you to use dual boot. It uses windows boot manager not GRUB2.

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• EasyBCD actually looks like a workable solution, as it gets rid of the interfering boot-records.

Thanks for the tip.

• I just wanted to say that I use Photoshop (CS4 and CS5) running in wine version 7 and they run great. I havent tried later versions as I dont have or want them. I used to also run Sony vegas but then switched to Kdenlive which is fine but I mostly use Blender now for video editing.

windows37 dualboot11 missing23 esp1 Posts 12Views 530