• GRUB problem

I’m opening this thread in order to report a weird behavior with my previous the antergos installation.

A month ago, when I made my first setup. I tried installing antergos and in the end of the installation the computer booted into a “Missing Operating System” black screen. So I tried again, and still the same…

I came to the conclusion that it was a grub problem, and it was. I booted into my antergos live usb and mounted and chroot’d the partition where i made the installation (dev/sda3) in order to reinstall grub in /dev/sda, and got several errors I can’t remember at the moment. But I read somewhere that the grub installation failing it may be related to having low free space at the beginning of the disk.

So, I moved the first partition 2048kb beyond and tried again… And the grub installation wen’t successful through my live usb.

I want to know if this is a normal behavior of the grub installation, and if it is normal, it would be nice that Cnchi could notify this issue before doing the whole antergos setup.

Cheers.

• I’m opening this thread in order to report a weird behavior with my previous the antergos installation.

A month ago, when I made my first setup. I tried installing antergos and in the end of the installation the computer booted into a “Missing Operating System” black screen. So I tried again, and still the same…

I came to the conclusion that it was a grub problem, and it was. I booted into my antergos live usb and mounted and chroot’d the partition where i made the installation (dev/sda3) in order to reinstall grub in /dev/sda, and got several errors I can’t remember at the moment. But I read somewhere that the grub installation failing it may be related to having low free space at the beginning of the disk.

So, I moved the first partition 2048kb beyond and tried again… And the grub installation wen’t successful through my live usb.

I want to know if this is a normal behavior of the grub installation, and if it is normal, it would be nice that Cnchi could notify this issue before doing the whole antergos setup.

Cheers.

• Hi,

Cnchi is suppose to notify you at the end if there is a possibility that GRUB did not install successfully. I will check the logic and make sure that it doesn’t miss any cases. Thanks for the report. BTW, which method did you install with, automatic or advanced? If it was advanced, what partition setup did you use? THANKS!

Cheers!

• @“lots.0.logs”:2928zewt said:

Hi,

Cnchi is suppose to notify you at the end if there is a possibility that GRUB did not install successfully. I will check the logic and make sure that it doesn’t miss any cases. Thanks for the report. BTW, which method did you install with, automatic or advanced? If it was advanced, what partition setup did you use? THANKS!

Cheers![/quote:2928zewt]

Advanced, I have a 120gb partition with windows installed (my family is not very linux friendly), a 300gb partition for data, a 2gb partition for linux swap and the last 40gb one to install antergos (dev/sda3).

I remember that in the last part of the installation it said “installing grub” or something like that, but didn’t report any errors, just rebooted. Yet, showed the message “Missing Operating System”. I think that Cnchi should warn before beginning the installation if possible, if there’s maybe a tool to determine whether grub can be safely installed or not.

I think I read that it depends on the size of some image that is going to be placed into the mbr, and when that image size is too big for the available space at the beginning of the disk, grub doesn’t installs correctly (Correct me if I’m wrong, I don’t have a concrete background with booting stuff).

• Hi,

What version of Windows? Is the system a BIOS boot or UEFI boot system?

Cheers!

Posts 5Views 1674