• Login loop and X.org problem

Hi there. I’m having a problem trying to get into my desktop.

I have an nvidia GT8600 video card and it was properly set up in the 10-monitor.conf and 20-nvidia.conf files. I wanted to increase my screen resolution from 1024x768 to 1920x1024 so I checked the available modes with xrandr which showed me 1024x768 @75.00, [email protected] and others, then I edited the 10-monitor file into the Display subsection in the Screen section from

modes “1024x768_75.00” to:
    modes “1920x1024_60.02”

i wanted to see the applied settings without reboot, so I installed xorg-xinit package with pacman in order to use the command “startx” and restart the X window system and I got a “(EE) can’t open display” error, so I decided to reboot and I can’t pass the login screen.

I went into tty4, edited the 10-monitor.conf file and left it how it was before and removed the xorg-xinit package I installed, but the error persists, now If I run xrandr i get “can’t open display error”.

I’m freaking out right now since I have to do some important work. I know this is offtopic but I would really appreciate any help, I have looked into the arch linux forums and no luck.

Thanks in advance.

• Hi there. I’m having a problem trying to get into my desktop.

I have an nvidia GT8600 video card and it was properly set up in the 10-monitor.conf and 20-nvidia.conf files. I wanted to increase my screen resolution from 1024x768 to 1920x1024 so I checked the available modes with xrandr which showed me 1024x768 @75.00, [email protected] and others, then I edited the 10-monitor file into the Display subsection in the Screen section from

modes “1024x768_75.00” to:
    modes “1920x1024_60.02”

i wanted to see the applied settings without reboot, so I installed xorg-xinit package with pacman in order to use the command “startx” and restart the X window system and I got a “(EE) can’t open display” error, so I decided to reboot and I can’t pass the login screen.

I went into tty4, edited the 10-monitor.conf file and left it how it was before and removed the xorg-xinit package I installed, but the error persists, now If I run xrandr i get “can’t open display error”.

I’m freaking out right now since I have to do some important work. I know this is offtopic but I would really appreciate any help, I have looked into the arch linux forums and no luck.

Thanks in advance.

• Hi,

Are you able to reach the greeter screen and enter your username and password? What desktop are you using? Are you using our default greeter (lightdm) or something else?

Cheers!

• I reached lightdm, when i typed my password, screen went black and sent me back to the login form. We can close this thread. I backed up my data to reinstall antergos and now cnchi doesn’t let me… I will post this new issue in the installation forum I guess…

• It shouldn’t be necessary to reinstall everything. Which desktop are you using?

• Too late Superdustin

[http://forum.antergos.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1615][0]">viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1615

[0]: <a href=

Please give a feedback after you get help so the thread can be set to solved.

Posts 6Views 1926
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.