• Login loop and X.org problem

Hi there. I’m having a problem trying to get into my desktop.

I have an nvidia GT8600 video card and it was properly set up in the 10-monitor.conf and 20-nvidia.conf files. I wanted to increase my screen resolution from 1024x768 to 1920x1024 so I checked the available modes with xrandr which showed me 1024x768 @75.00, [email protected] and others, then I edited the 10-monitor file into the Display subsection in the Screen section from

modes “1024x768_75.00” to:
    modes “1920x1024_60.02”

i wanted to see the applied settings without reboot, so I installed xorg-xinit package with pacman in order to use the command “startx” and restart the X window system and I got a “(EE) can’t open display” error, so I decided to reboot and I can’t pass the login screen.

I went into tty4, edited the 10-monitor.conf file and left it how it was before and removed the xorg-xinit package I installed, but the error persists, now If I run xrandr i get “can’t open display error”.

I’m freaking out right now since I have to do some important work. I know this is offtopic but I would really appreciate any help, I have looked into the arch linux forums and no luck.

Thanks in advance.

• Hi there. I’m having a problem trying to get into my desktop.

I have an nvidia GT8600 video card and it was properly set up in the 10-monitor.conf and 20-nvidia.conf files. I wanted to increase my screen resolution from 1024x768 to 1920x1024 so I checked the available modes with xrandr which showed me 1024x768 @75.00, [email protected] and others, then I edited the 10-monitor file into the Display subsection in the Screen section from

modes “1024x768_75.00” to:
    modes “1920x1024_60.02”

i wanted to see the applied settings without reboot, so I installed xorg-xinit package with pacman in order to use the command “startx” and restart the X window system and I got a “(EE) can’t open display” error, so I decided to reboot and I can’t pass the login screen.

I went into tty4, edited the 10-monitor.conf file and left it how it was before and removed the xorg-xinit package I installed, but the error persists, now If I run xrandr i get “can’t open display error”.

I’m freaking out right now since I have to do some important work. I know this is offtopic but I would really appreciate any help, I have looked into the arch linux forums and no luck.

Thanks in advance.

• Hi,

Are you able to reach the greeter screen and enter your username and password? What desktop are you using? Are you using our default greeter (lightdm) or something else?

Cheers!

• I reached lightdm, when i typed my password, screen went black and sent me back to the login form. We can close this thread. I backed up my data to reinstall antergos and now cnchi doesn’t let me… I will post this new issue in the installation forum I guess…

• It shouldn’t be necessary to reinstall everything. Which desktop are you using?

• Too late Superdustin

[http://forum.antergos.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1615][0]">viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1615

[0]: <a href=

Please give a feedback after you get help so the thread can be set to solved.

Posts 6Views 1557