• Tutorial: Changing Gnome Wallpaper Method 2

In a previous tutorial I described how you can use Antergos OS to change your Gnome 3 wallpaper automatically using cron and crontab. This works great, but there is one problem. Once you reboot your computer, you have to manually restart cron using the command: “sudo cron start”

There’s probably someway to get your system to do that automatically for you, except you’re starting cron as the superuser when you precede it with “sudo”. I decided to look what other options Antergos had up it’s sleeve and low and behold along came my realization about systemctld - the Antergos way. Probably the Arch, Manjaro and Apricity way too, but I’m running Antergos. (For those of you who don’t know, Antergos, Manjaro and Apricity are 3 distros based on Arch.)

To get this to work, even after you reboot, carefully follow the instructions in this tutorial. When you are finished following those instructions, come back here. There’s still more to do.

Step 2: Install and open gnome-session-properties
    If not already installed, to get your wallpaper changer to work after rebooting your machine, you’re going to need to install a program (if not already installed) called gnome-session-properties

sudo pacman -S gnome-session-properties

Once installed go back to your desktop and press Alt-F2 and you will be prompted to enter a command.
    the command you enter will be the name of the program you just installed: gnome-session-properties

Step 3: entering commands for startup
    Now you will see Starup Applications Preferences open on your desktop.

Click Add.
    The Edit Startup Program dialogue pops up.
    Name: systemd timer p1
    Command: systemctl --user enable gnome-background-change.timer
    Comment: systemd wallpaper changer p1

Now click Save and return to Startup Applications Preferences.
    Again, click on Add
    Name systemd timer p2
    Command: systemctl --user start gnome-background-change.timer
    Comment: systemd wallpaper changer p2

Click Save, return to Startup Applications Preferences, Click Close.

Step 4: Make sure your gnome 3 wallpaper is changing
    Make sure it’s changing like it’s should be.

Step 5: Reboot
    Reboot your computer, login to your Gnome 3 session, and see if it still works. It should!

• I use this gnome-shell-extension here: random-walls

Bild Text

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    http://gofccyourself.com
    my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad said in Tutorial: Changing Gnome Wallpaper Method 2:

I use this gnome-shell-extension here: random-walls

Bild Text

I never noticed this reponse until now, and wow. Very cool. Never even imagined there was a gnome-extension for the rotating wallpaper. I’m using it on my machine now.

gnome250 changing11 wallpaper11 tutorial2 Posts 3Views 403