• Pacman Update Messages

I didn’t really want to start a new one in case I figured it out after (been doing that recently) but.

I am getting these messages everytime I run updates.

0_1491659338580_Screenshot from 2017-04-07 22-09-59.png

I found this topic (https://forum.antergos.com/topic/4477/strange-update-notification/3) but that seems like doing nothing and these messages shouldn’t be occuring.

Is there away to remove these messages. Are you really saying this is normal?

• Please, share the full output of

sudo pacman -Syy

• [[email protected] ~]$ sudo pacman -Syy
    [sudo] password for nebutron: 
    :: Synchronizing package databases...
     antergos                 144.4 KiB   816K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
     core                     124.3 KiB   888K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
     extra                   1680.1 KiB  4.78M/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
     community                  3.8 MiB  12.0M/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
     multilib                 176.2 KiB  43.0M/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
    [[email protected] ~]$ 

• Your repos order - repos priority - is fine.

Somehow you’ve managed to install three pkgs from [community] repo. They are at slightly higher versions than their counterparts in [antergos] repo.

Now pacman correctly tries to install three pkgs from [antergos] repo, but finds already installed local pkgs - from [community] - at higher versions. Thus, pacman remains a bit surprised.

There should be no dramatic differences for these 3 pkgs between [[antergos] and [community]. It should be safe to allow pacman to downgrade them to [antergos] versions:

sudo pacman -Syuu

It will substitute [community[ pkgs with their [antergos] analogs. The errors will gone for the future updates.

• I ran that and everything went fine.

Any idea why/how this occurred? So that it does not happen again?

Thanks

• It’s hard to remotely diagnose an unknown computer, without having an access to it, and without knowning the history of the changes, made on it.

The most probable case is the fact that one time [community] was above the [antergos] in pacman.conf, and Cinnamon was updated during that period.

Almost improbable case is that one time was installed a pkg, that pulled those three pkgs from [community] by dependencies. But it’s almost impossible.

When a pkg is present in multiple repos, pacman by default installs it from the first repo in the list. But it doesn’t exclude the possibility to install a pkg from another repo. Pacman allows it. Though it requires some skills from a user.

I do not use graphical package managers, like pamac, octopi, pacmanxg, etc. Probably they allow to install a pkg from any repo too. By clicking here and there it is probably possible to select a pkg from inappropriate repo. It’s one of the reasons why I prefer the pure native pacman.

Graphical package managers serve to hide details from a user - to not scare him. It directly opposes to Arch philosophy - the user decides what to do, not a software or a computer. Pacman doesn’t hide anything, exposes all minimal details, allowing a user to make a concious decisions.

No, it’s hard to say what was happening on your computer in the past.

• I tend to use it because it is the one that pops up with updates.

I also use it because I don’t know enough of the commands in the terminal. I looked in the Arch Wiki and they seem to only mention sudo pacman -Syu (though I suppose I could not be looking good enough).

I can’t find anything on all the commands, such as -Syy or -Syuu or -Syu as I have seen around. If I can get a good page with each command and what it does that can help me learn.

Not that it is your problem to get me that. I will keep looking for that kind of detail.

Thanks for your help!

• There’s no such a manual for pacman, I’m afraid. More practical experience you gain, more you fall in love with pacman. It’s a long (and sometime a painful) process - a few years in my case.

Just a simple note about doubled switches. When a switch is doubled, it enforcess its action.

Updating local repos databases:

• -Sy updates local databases, for changed repos only
    • -Syy unconditionally updates local databases, even if the remote repos weren’t changed. As a side effect, it also lists all repos in pacman.conf, in their physical order (that’s why I asked for it).

Upgrading the system:

• -Su allows only to upgrade the local pkgs
    • -Suu allows not only upgrade but also downgrade the local pkgs (our case)

Querying an installed package:

• -Qi - returns almost all info about an installed pkg
    • -Qii - returns even more, really all info about an installed pkg

Querying a remote package (in a repo, not installed

• -Si - returns almost all info about a remote pkg
    • -Sii - returns even more, really all info about a remote pkg

Switches may be combined as we wish or need. Don’t be scared to type in a wrong switches combination - pacman doesn’t accept them, informs about it, and refuses to proceed. Cool.

You should now be able to figure out on your own what each of these combos does:

• -Sy - only updates local dbs, if needed, doesn’t upgrade anything
    • -Syu - updates local dbs, if needed, upgrades local pkgs, if needed
    • -Syyu - unconditionally updates all local dbs, only upgrades local pkgs, if needed
    • -Syuu - updates local dbs, if needed, not only upgrades but also downgrades local pkgs, if needed
    • -Syyuu - unconditionally updates all local dbs, not only upgrades but also downgrades local pkgs, if needed

It may have no sense to double some switches. For example, to list the full content of a repo:

• -Sl antergos - lists all pkgs in [antergos] repo
    • -Sll antergos - has exactly the same effect, lists all pkgs in [antergos] repo, and it’s still a valid command for pacman

Learn pacman, experiment with it. Pacman will generously reward you.

Good luck

• Very awesome. Thank you.

Bookmarked!

• This post is deleted!
pacman76 messages3 Posts 10Views 460