• \[Solved\] Removal of temp files

Hi,

I just noticed that /tmp directory and /var/cache/pacman directory combine is taking 5.5 GB space on my / . I need some space on / so I was just wondering if these temp files get automatically cleared after reboot or by corn job at some specifc time or should they be cleared manually and is it safe to clear them manually.

I could not find appropriate forum to post it, this is why I posted it in Kernel & Hardware.

Thanks

• Hi,

I just noticed that /tmp directory and /var/cache/pacman directory combine is taking 5.5 GB space on my / . I need some space on / so I was just wondering if these temp files get automatically cleared after reboot or by corn job at some specifc time or should they be cleared manually and is it safe to clear them manually.

I could not find appropriate forum to post it, this is why I posted it in Kernel & Hardware.

Thanks

• Hi,

/tmp is actually using some of your RAM so it’s not affecting disk space. Pacman will keep previous verisons of packages in /var/cache/pacman which is helpful when an update contains a bug that prevents you from doing something important. You can have pacman clean its cache, keeping only the current version and one previous version, by running:

sudo pacman -Sc

You can also perform the task with the PacmanXG GUI by selecting Tasks>>Clean Package Cache. Space is not a problem for me so I don’t do this often. However, I think a good practice would be to clean the cache every 2-3 weeks or as needed. Hope it helps!

Best Regards,
    Dustin

• Thanks for reply. I have cleaned pacman cache. But I am still not sure about /tmp

• What are you unsure about in regards to /tmp? Do you think it is using disk space instead of RAM? Just to be sure post the output of:

df /tmp

Cheers!

• df /tmp

The output is

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    tmpfs 2.0G 36K 2.0G 1% /tmp

• Okay its set up correctly and is not using disk space.

• Thanks for help

• You’re welcome!

Posts 9Views 1107