• Virtualbox Problem

Hi, whenever I try to start a virtual machine in virtualbox I get this error:

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

‘/sbin/vboxconfig’

as root.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT

How do I fix this?

• You need to install linuxXX-virtualbox-host-modules. The XX is replaced by your kernel version.

• I can’t find any such package, but I have tried both packages virtualbox-host-modules-arch and virtualbox-host-dkms neither worked.

• @jurgen type the command bellow in a terminal:
    modprobe vboxdrv
    then try to run virtualbox again.

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @fernandomaroto said in Virtualbox Problem:

@jurgen type the command bellow in a terminal:
    modprobe vboxdrv
    then try to run virtualbox again.

When I try that command with either package installed (virtualbox-host-modules-arch or virtualbox-host-dkms) I get:
    modprobe: FATAL: Module vboxdrv not found in directory /lib/modules/4.10.5-1-ARCH

• sorry for double posting, but in /lib/modules/ directory I don’t even have a ‘4.10.5-1-ARCH’ directory, I only have ‘4.10.6-1-ARCH’ and ‘extramodules-4.10-ARCH’. The extramodules-4.10-ARCH directory contains these files: vboxdrv.ko.gz,
    vboxguest.ko.gz, vboxnetadp.ko.gz, vboxnetflt.ko.gz, vboxpci.ko.gz, vboxsf.ko.gz, and vboxvideo.ko.gz.

• @jurgen Sounds like the kernel was updated and you haven’t rebooted yet. I think a reboot will fix your issue since you have the 4.10.6 host-modules. In the future it should be fine since the updater will keep them synced.

• @jurgen Hi! recommend you to unistall first:
    sudo pacman -Rns virtualbox
    then reinstall, and when a message appear for you to choose “number 1 or 2” select 2!!
    sudo pacman -S virtualbox
    Then see if worked, if not then i don’t know, since i usually solve doing that.

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @Shryp said in Virtualbox Problem:

@jurgen Sounds like the kernel was updated and you haven’t rebooted yet. I think a reboot will fix your issue since you have the 4.10.6 host-modules. In the future it should be fine since the updater will keep them synced.

Hi, I restarted and then uninstalled all virtualbox packages and reinstalled and now virtualbox works great. So my issue is resolved, thanks for the help everyone.

virtualbox20 startup12 error166 Posts 9Views 741