• Need pw to apply updates - did not set one on installation

Hi,
    I installed antergos without a pw, (XFCE) and the session starts automatically. Whatever file I look into to find a hypothetic pw that I might have set & forgotten, they all say “nologin”. But when I want to apply updates, suddenly a pw is required. Typing nothing does not help so I am stuck and don’t know what to do. I read pages and pages here about how to add a new user but that also requires a pw - which I don’t have. Do I really need to reinstall from scratch? Thx for your help;

• can you type “passwd” in a terminal and change your password?

• Thx Shrip - when I do that I have to type my CURRENT pw first - which I never set…

• Sorry: Shryp

• I was thinking maybe that would accept a blank password.

• Nope, I tried.

• Hi,

Boot again with the antergos iso, chroot to your system using arch-chroot and then you will be able to change any password you want.

If you don’t know how to do it please ask 😉

Cheers!

• @karasu Thx very much - I don’t know how to do that, very thankful for instructions.

• Ok, try this:

1. Boot with the usb iso
    2. Close cnchi
    3. Open a terminal
    4. sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda

4 will show your partition layout. Post it here so we know how to procede.

Cheers!

• @karasu Thx very much. Before I do that (laptop not with me right now) one last question: if one chooses to install antergos without a pw then updates are not possible? No way to update without a pw, correct?

• Hi,

Antergos installation always asks for a password. What I do not remember if it enforces it or not (it should, so I’ll check this one).

• @karasu said in Need pw to apply updates but did not set one on installing antergos:

Hi,

Antergos installation always asks for a password. What I do not remember if it enforces it or not (it should, so I’ll check this one).

Nope, I was right and Cnchi enforces entering a password or you can’t continue (even if you set autologin). Are you sure you didn’t establish a password and now you don’t remember doing it?

Please, try with whatever password you use normally 😬

Cheers!

• @karasu - Thx so much. I tried all possible pws, none works. How is it then that the session opens without asking for a pw? I have other computers with antergos installed where I HAVE to write a pw before the session opens.

• Hi,

How is it then that the session opens without asking for a pw?

Because you have lightdm set to autologin. When the installer asks for user/password it also shows a checkbox that, if activated, setups lightdm to autologin (I’m sure you activated it in this case).

Cheers!

• @karasu Sorry for the delay. Finally recovered that laptop. Output is:

[[email protected] ~]$ sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda
    Disk /dev/sda: 149.1 GiB, 160041885696 bytes, 312581808 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disklabel type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0x3a848630

Device     Boot    Start       End   Sectors   Size Id Type
    /dev/sda1           2048    524287    522240   255M 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2         524288  61417471  60893184    29G  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda3  *    61417472 304990207 243572736 116.1G 83 Linux
    [[email protected] ~]$

• Hi!

I believe the default username and password for Antergos is simply"antergos". Perhaps it is still set to the default one for some reason?

Hope this helps😀

Keep trying, never give up. In the end, you will find that it was all worth it

My ISO: https://rebornos.wordpress.com

Friend's Website: http://nwg.pl

• @A-User Thx - I suddenly remembered the pw - a pw I never use because it is too simple… too simple to remember too, apparently.

• @longliveantergos , to mark the topic as SOLVED , you just go to the bottom R-H corner & click on the TOPIC TOOLS to find the option (no need to do anything, I did it, already).

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 18.04 64bit Gnome
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

installing90 updates44 apply4 Posts 18Views 1596
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.