• Why do you use Antergos?

Antergos is a great combination of features:

• easy and fast to install
    • very up-to-date packages!
    • a large amount of packages
    • includes directly some very useful proprietary packages
    • great community!

So far I haven’t seen any other distro with all of these features combined. Technically Manjaro comes quite close but comparison between these distros is not easy since they seem to have slighly different goals (technically speaking the unstable branch of Manjaro has about as up-to-date packages as Antergos).
    Naturally a big part of the glory here goes to Arch, but I must say that the Antergos team and people have done a really great job!
    So these are the reasons why I use Antergos.

• A small addition to my previous post: Manjaro was the first distro that worked on all of my PCs. Then later I discovered Antergos, but wasn’t able to install it on my mostly used laptop. But that also is just history, I’m running Antergos now with the laptop to write this!

• @testsieger73 Thanks!
    Nice, a full DisplayPort as output on your computer, never seen that before.
    One more question:
    If you don’t mind, which type external LG displays exactly?

I have for now Mini DisplayPort output > DVI converter > DVI input Dell display.

Impossible to get it working with Gnome, only partly working with OpenBox and full working with XFCE.

• @bartatantergos said in Why do you use Antergos?:

@testsieger73 Thanks!
    Nice, a full DisplayPort as output on your computer, never seen that before.
    One more question:
    If you don’t mind, which type external LG displays exactly?

I have for now Mini DisplayPort output > DVI converter > DVI input Dell display.

Impossible to get it working with Gnome, only partly working with OpenBox and full working with XFCE.

LG 29UM58 and LG 22EA53. It’s a desktop computer with GTX 1070 and 3 DisplayPorts. DVI is a pretty old standard, I guess that’s why it’s not working properly.

• Slipstream of Nvidia drivers into OS install is huge. Once you are inside the default Gnome desktop, using the tweak tool to change the global dark theme is a breeze. Bleeding edge or rolling release means I do not have to spend hours after install looking for updated drivers / packages. This is IDEAL for anyone moving away from winblows™ looking for usable performance out of the box. Cnchi is pretty much perfect. Maybe have a section which allows you to see a visual representation of how the mirrors ping/rank and manually select would be my only suggestion. Using a unstable wireless connection can cause shifty results when ranking mirrors.

Screenshot

• Antergos … WHY ???

In my early days in Linux/Unix back in 1996 I have started with Red Hat 5.1 and my 2nd distribution was Mandrake Linux 5.1.

Since then I have tried (not in chronological order)
    Red Hat, Gentoo, Mandrake, SuSe, Debian, Mandriva, Knoppix, KaOS, Neon, Ultimate, ROSA, Calculate, Mint, K/X/G/Ubuntu, OpenSuse, CentOS, Solaris OS, HP-UX, Chakra, Manjaro, Sabayon, TrueOS, Arch and recently ANTERGOS …

Tried means - USED the distro for more than 3 months …

IMHO the top 5:

1. Antergos --> The best of Arch without the hassle of the console install
    2. Chakra / Manjaro --> Really good distros but they moved apart from true Arch
    3. Arch --> the mother ship of linux but … community too proud of themselves
    4. Mint --> Beautiful and easy
    5. CentOS --> the stability

4.12.10-2-zen - KDE Plasma 5.10.5 (Qt 5.9.1)
    i7-4820K 3900 - 32GB RAM - GTX 1060 6GB
    HDD 2000.4GB, SSD1 250.1GB, SSD2 480.1GB
    Init: systemd, zsh 5.4.2

• @mbalino !

0_1504923643167_206c1396-9673-4579-8cc5-ecfa94ab7b2a-image.png

• Whatare the best apps or ways to “slipstream” packages to an Antergos installer ISO?
    Edit: moved this question to https://forum.antergos.com/post/53279

• @mbalino said in Why do you use Antergos?:

the mother ship of linux but … community too proud of themselves

0_1504955128944_arch.png

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

@mbalino !

0_1504923643167_206c1396-9673-4579-8cc5-ecfa94ab7b2a-image.png

i miss KDE4!

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @fernandomaroto

KDE 3.x …It was one of the kind !!!

In other topics, that is FreeSpire (the spinoff of LinDows… did you remember it?)

I can’t make it work the internet… I am too rusty :(

also Mandrake 5.1 … can’t make it boot … buuu

@fernandomaroto

KDE 3.x …It was one of the kind !!!

In other topics, that is FreeSpire (the spinoff of LinDows… did you remember it?)

I can’t make it work the internet… I am too rusty :(

also Mandrake 5.1 … can’t make it boot … buuu

hehehe though i’m not that old using linux (started june last year) i tried to run lindows in VM because i always loved win xp but didn’t work very well.
    Under Arch there wasn’t kde4 even less kde3, but i used kde4 under slackware and i missed it, and i don’t like plasma (kde5).

About internet problems, if you’re running under VM you an try to set network to “bridge mode”

Sorry, i’m going offtopic here…

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• Thanks for the tip
    It worked

Now I am testing ReactOS with internet access

• Support is another HUGE reason I use Antergos. Not only can you quickly find valid information on forums / wiki / IRC but the Arch following is huge as well.

After a failed quest to install Corel Graphics Suite in wine & winetricks I have now installed my winblows™ hard drive and managed to get Oracle VM VirtualBox to boot the raw physical disk.

After activating vm guest additions cd I can drag and drop and share clipboard data ect with ease between both OS at the same time. Once I find an image editor = or > Corel I can format the winblows™ drive for good.

• Arch based distro, very easy to installation with different DE flavors in a single ISO file and stable as far as I could tested.
    I’m new in this forum, but based on some articles that I read, it seems to be a very friendly community.

• @baco said in Why do you use Antergos?:

I’m new in this forum, but based on some articles that I read, it seems to be a very friendly community.

In that case, welcome friend! I hope to see you around:grinning:.

Keep trying, never give up. In the end, you will find that it was all worth it

Community ISO: https://antergoscommunityeditions.wordpress.com
    Linux Basics: https://linuxbasicssite.wordpress.com

• Been using Linux off and on since 2008 and in Jan 2016 I moved to Ubuntu 16.04 as my main OS. I only boot into Windows 10 for compatibility and PC gaming (which I hardly have time for anymore sadly) now. Even using Linux in a Microsoft environment at my University with no issues. Though, I do have a SeamlessRDP remote app set up going on where I can run stuff from my Win7 VM at University in their own windows.

Anyways, things in Ubuntu just didn’t work right. I would have crashes and the WiFi refused to work after sleep (which I had to find a systemd unit to restart network manager every wakeup). When I heard about Ubuntu abandoning the Unity desktop, I decided to jump ship. I thought about returning to Arch as I installed it by hand once before in 2010 I think. I didn’t care for it so I just used Arch Anywhere which was good but still had to find quite a bit of packages right away. When my new laptop lease came up for University, I decided just throw Antergos on it because it was quick and easy. I juggled between Manjaro and Antergos for a week or two but just picked Antergos because Manjaro seems to be slowly straying from Arch repos and model. Sounded like more breakage potential to me so I went with Antergos for more of a “pure” Arch system. First time with GNOME in years but it’s been working great. Only 3 weeks in with Antergos so let’s hope things stay working perfectly!

• @null0 said

Only 3 weeks in with Antergos

So, welcome aboard and feel free to ask anything that might trouble you.
    Cheers

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @null0 said in Why do you use Antergos?:

I juggled between Manjaro and Antergos for a week or two but just picked Antergos because Manjaro seems to be slowly straying from Arch repos and model.

I would certainly agree with that observation! I wonder how long it will be until Manjaro completely severs ties with Arch…

Only 3 weeks in with Antergos so let’s hope things stay working perfectly!

Good to hear and welcome to the community:grinning:. If you ever have any problems, just let us know! We would love to help you solve them (it’s why we’re here ;)).

Keep trying, never give up. In the end, you will find that it was all worth it

Community ISO: https://antergoscommunityeditions.wordpress.com
    Linux Basics: https://linuxbasicssite.wordpress.com

• Hello, I use it because it is simply “the best”. Not that I am biased towards the more commercial software, but more towards the gracefulness and the beauty of all the enhancements this community/software provides. I wish I could do more to expand this wonderful experience. I’ve only begun on the edges of using “it”. I’ve a simple site … visit and expand if you’re willing and able … “thepups.ml” … thx

ThePups

Posts 101Views 10266