• Why do you use Antergos?

@anarch said in Why do you use Antergos?:

That s easy…stop updating it–👼

This I haven`t tried yet!
    But I think it could never happen…
    Quit updating seems far more difficult than quit smoking…
    (and I quit smoking about a year ago after ~35 years of smoking…)

• @MyLifeInLinux said in Why do you use Antergos?:

I use Antergos because it is quick to update, and it allows you to select what you want to install when you install Antergos

I just installed Antergos today. I came from “another” Arch family member. I’ve been using Linux exclusively since the year 2002, so for a decade and a half. Now that I’m getting older and tired, I just want a desktop that works. I tried installing Arch, but when I realized what needed to be done I thought, “You know, I could do this,” but I just didn’t want to do it.

I am using Antergos because it is very close to a pure Arch distro, it is easier for me personally to install than Arch itself, it is a rolling distro which I’ve never used extensively, and it gets me away from the DEB/RPM Linuxes of which I am so familiar.

So this is also my hello!

• @linuxited said in Why do you use Antergos?:

Quit updating seems far more difficult than quit smoking

One of the problems of running any Linux system - updating, changing, this and that. Sometimes screwing up and reinstalling 🎱 . Never mind a rolling release, I’m usually screwing something up all by myself long before the rolling release rolls. 🌝

• I migrated to GNU/Linux when Microsoft declared that they were discontinuing support for Windows 7, as Windows 10 was not an option. Apple’s proprietary model has always disgusted me so that wasn’t an option either. I was already bored with Windows and had been experimenting with Cylon Linux on an old machine and really liked it. However, it wasn’t until after I had grown attached to it that I discovered support for it had just been withdrawn. After ordering all of the parts to put together my own build I began reading up on the different distros while waiting for the parts to arrive at my doorstep. I really liked what I read about Arch the best, but didn’t have the time to invest for the custom install, so instead I settled on Fedora. Once my build was assembled I tried to install Fedora, but couldn’t get it to work, so then I tried opensuse, with no luck there either. Frustrated, I began reading again searching for an acceptable alternative. It was then that I discovered Antergos, which I had missed on my earlier investigation. It sounded perfect, so I downloaded and installed it with no problems, except for my Bose speakers not working. With a little more reading I was able to tweak that problem. Other than the issue with the speakers it worked out of the box. I love the way the Plasma GUI looks and it runs faster than Windows. One of the reasons I was drawn to Antergos is because it is relatively new and it seems that the community is dedicated to support well into the future, which was important to me after the experience with the Cylon distro. I just want to be able to get things done on my computer without down time, so as long as Antergos remains stable I will continue to use it.

• @TEXCENTRIC said in Why do you use Antergos?:

I just want to be able to get things done on my computer without down time, so as long as
    Antergos remains stable I will continue to use it.

I’m a newbie to Antergos and this forum, but I’ve been dabbling with Linux since year 2000 and have been using it as my only OS since 2002. It’s not unusual for me to switch distros, but there are other options with Linux, and Antergos makes that pretty painless. You can actually change your desktop environment, so that when you login you can choose Xfce, Mate, Plasma, Gnome, etc. I spent some time today setting that up and although I went with an Xfce install (I like Xfce), I’m typing this message inside Gnome.

• @MyLifeInLinux
    I just read a disturbing article which pretty much sums up why I am not using Arch (and also why Arch != Antergos) … I mean I have thought to build a pure Arch box, and have even worked on it in a VM box, but this attitude from the Arch forum just turns me off from that whole community and why I feel much more comfortable here.

Why Arch != Antergos is the article. They are correct that Antergos is not 100% Arch for a number of reasons given in the article. I get that. But their attitude of believing they should NEVER help anyone from the Antergos community really gave me a bad feeling about Arch and their community which I don’t find here.

Also, although Antergos is not 100% Arch (at least according to them), I feel closer to Arch inside Antergos than I did in Manjaro, and the reason I switched from Manjaro to Antergos. --A good decision. 🐳

• @shwaybotx: The comments on that article are merely positive towards Antergos. Most of the Arch users want to help us or acknowledge that Antergos is Arch.
    But the Antergos community is friendly and willing to help someone out, I absolutely agree on that!

• @bpoerwo said in Why do you use Antergos?:

that Antergos is Arch

I don’t get this part. I mean, as a newbie to Antergos but not to Linux, it seems like Antergos users want to be accepted as Arch. Clearly Antergos has everything that any spin-off distro has. Antergos repos, wiki, team leaders, Antergos only software, forums and an active community, all separate from Arch. Frankly, Antergos may be closer to Arch than Manjaro, but Antergos is not just a graphical installer for Arch as many YouTube videos claim. Antergos is closely related, but Antergos is not Arch. Antergos is a distro for the reasons stated here.

I’m not sure why that’s a hard pill to swallow for Antergos community members, but it’s the reason leaders in Arch don’t like the Antergos community. Precisely because Antergos fans think they are exactly the same as Arch is one reason for the rejection.

I’m here not because I think Antergos is just a fancy installer for Arch. I do like the fact that it’s more closely related to Arch than Manjaro, and I do like the forums, even though I’m not allowed to post very much in here yet because the forum software still has me down as a newbie member. I also like Antergos because it isn’t Arch. There’s different coding which gives different results in several packages used by the Antergos community, as well as Antergos only software.

• I tried to point out, that not the whole Arch community agrees with the notion NOT to help Antergos users.
    I agree that Antergos is an Arch-based distro.

• I’m very curious about this. I made comment in the manjaro forum about the distro being similar enough but without what I perceive as elitism that we see from the arch community. You’d have thought I took a dump on a picture of Jesus holding a kitten.

The reaction was immediate and just obnoxious.

I run arch (even installed it the bloody “arch way,”) but I have to tell you that I find the community has enough abrasive and nasty people in it, and they tend to be more active on the forum. Sadly, though, this might be just true of life. I generally like a thing until I have to deal with all the peoply-bits. When I got it running, I totally drank the Arch kool-ade, but then after I saw how the community reacted to people who asked questions that weren’t up to their standards, well that kool-ade started tasting like vinegar and water.

The nicest bunch I’ve met so far have really been the Antergos community, but unfortunately, I cannot get playonlinux working well with Antergos, and that’s a deal killer. I’m still hoping to find a way to make Antergos an every day driver.

• So on and on this discussion about Archlinux v. Antergos is useless! in my opinion!!!
    We as Antergos user benefit from huge work Archlinux devs and user doing.
    Antergos is a distro on its own and with its goal to be usable by unexperienced Linux users also, there is for true a lag of knowledge about deeper insight into system-specific circumstances on this users, and this will disturb the philosophy of Archlinux in it self, Archlinux choose to do not have a easy installer and preconfigured system because the say that doing all this from scratch will force you to learn about how everything is working.

An experienced user will never have the problem to flag a AUR PKGBUILD out of date ore comment a problem there.
    Archlinux is our big brother and we have to pay them respect!

• I’m not an Antergos user; I use Arch. And I say respect is earned. I don’t care how much work is done by anyone- if they’re rude to others, they can sit down.

• @bpoerwo said in Why do you use Antergos?:

not the whole Arch community agrees with the notion NOT to help Antergos users.

Yes. That was refreshing to see. Thank you for taking the time to follow that link btw.

@joekamprad said in Why do you use Antergos?:

So on and on this discussion about Archlinux v. Antergos is useless! in my opinion!!!
    Now remember! ;) This thread is called “Why do you use Antergos?” I was just giving my honest opinion about why I use Antergos.

I brought it up because I am a member of the Arch forums when I came across that article. I read it and followed all the responses, and realized I found the whole attitude disturbing to me.

It wasn’t out of not wanting to pay them respect that inspired me to put a link back to that article. It was the shock of realizing how little respect some of the senior founders of that forum had for Antergos.

That brought me back to this thread, Why do you use Antergos? 1) There’s less politics and 2) I do prefer the graphical install!

It’s too bad that senior people like that over at Arch are so… that way!

@reisiger said in Why do you use Antergos?:

I’m not an Antergos user; I use Arch.
    You, my friend, are a good person. Thank you. :)

• @joekamprad said in Why do you use Antergos?:

So on and on this discussion about Archlinux v. Antergos is useless! in my opinion!!!

Now remember! ;) This thread is called “Why do you use Antergos?” I was just giving my honest opinion about why I use Antergos.

I brought it up because I am a member of the Arch forums when I came across that article. I read it and followed all the responses, and realized I found the whole attitude disturbing to me.

It wasn’t out of not wanting to pay them respect that inspired me to put a link back to that article. It was the shock of realizing how little respect some of the senior founders of that forum had for Antergos.

That brought me back to this thread, Why do you use Antergos? 1) There’s less politics and 2) I do prefer the graphical install!

• This post is deleted!
  • @shwaybotx said in Why do you use Antergos?:

@bpoerwo said in Why do you use Antergos?:

not the whole Arch community agrees with the notion NOT to help Antergos users.

Yes. That was refreshing to see. Thank you for taking the time to follow that link btw.

@joekamprad said in Why do you use Antergos?:

@reisiger said in Why do you use Antergos?:

I’m not an Antergos user; I use Arch.
    You, my friend, are a good person. Thank you. :)

well thank you very much! I do what I can. Being nice seemed like a good first step. :)

• I use Antergos Gnome because it works! I’ve been bouncing around between Windows 10 and many many distros and either I can’t get something to work or it just plain is visually unappealing. I just keep coming back to my Antergos Gnome and I can get everything I need to work and work the way I want it to. I appreciate the support I can find in the forum. Knowing that Antergos will keep me up to date with the latest technology also makes Antergos very attractive.

• triple boot: MacOs, Antergos Gnome, Antergos Openbox

MacOs: because i want to keep my job ;) and i need Max/MSP/Jitter
    Antergos Gnome: because it’s more open, flexible and faster then MacOs and i get things done
    Antergos Openbox: because i want to learn Linux more deeply and profound, step by step

Antergos: because after a year distro hopping Arch as base and Antergos as distro was simple the way to go, amazing distro, amazing community and all amazing goodies from Arch!

Thanks to your both!

• As a follow-up, I am now an Antergos user! I was running Manjaro on 2 machines, but honestly, after one of the mods in their forum was a dick to a member and then to me for calling him on it, I’m ditching that too.
    It happens everywhere- not saying it’s an Arch or derivatives problem only, but elitism is not to be tolerated. Nor is being a dick to someone just asking for help. Ultimately, I think I rather just dislike most people.

But I love Antergos!

• **@reisiger said in Why do you use Antergos?:

elitism is not to be tolerated

I couldn’t agree with you more. Essentially elitism is no different than racism. It just casts a wider net. In the end they are both about degrading people who are different in no way that is substantial enough to justify abuse.

Posts 129Views 42108
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.