• Steam Not Loading - Crash on Start

I had steam installed during a fresh Antergos install.

When I run the application it crashes and provides the error g1XChooseVisual failed

Any ideas? I am running the latest Nvidia drivers (378.13-4) (980TI)

• This is what I get in the terminal for it.

/home/nebutron/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 154: VERSION_ID: unbound variable
    /home/nebutron/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 154: VERSION_ID: unbound variable
    Running Steam on antergos  64-bit
    STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1490228413)

(steam:30966): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",

(steam:30966): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",

(steam:30966): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

(steam:30966): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

glXChooseVisual failedMain.cpp (313) : Assertion Failed: Fatal Error: glXChooseVisual failed
    Assert( Assertion Failed: Fatal Error: glXChooseVisual failed ):Main.cpp:313

assert_20170323203524_6.dmp[30978]: Uploading dump (out-of-process)
    /tmp/dumps/assert_20170323203524_6.dmp
    assert_20170323203524_6.dmp[30978]: Finished uploading minidump (out-of-process): success = yes
    assert_20170323203524_6.dmp[30978]: response: CrashID=bp-d756d40f-10dd-4aac-a12f-3781c2170323
    assert_20170323203524_6.dmp[30978]: file ''/tmp/dumps/assert_20170323203524_6.dmp'', upload yes: ''CrashID=bp-d756d40f-10dd-4aac-a12f-3781c2170323''

• Another weird thing. I have an xorg.conf file under /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d with the following details

# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
    # nvidia-settings:  version 378.13  ([email protected])  Thu Feb 16 23:29:17 CET 2017

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Layout0"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        Option         "Xinerama" "0"
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
        Identifier     "Mouse0"
        Driver         "mouse"
        Option         "Protocol" "auto"
        Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
        Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
        Identifier     "Keyboard0"
        Driver         "kbd"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"

# HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
        Identifier     "Monitor0"
        VendorName     "Unknown"
        ModelName      "KJT HDMI4K2K60"
        HorizSync       30.0 - 81.0
        VertRefresh     56.0 - 76.0
        Option         "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Device0"
        Driver         "nvidia"
        VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
        BoardName      "GeForce GTX 980 Ti"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"

# Removed Option "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0 {ForceCompositionPipeline=On}"
        Identifier     "Screen0"
        Device         "Device0"
        Monitor        "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    24
        Option         "Stereo" "0"
        Option         "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-1"
        Option         "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0 {ForceCompositionPipeline=On, ForceFullCompositionPipeline=On}"
        Option         "SLI" "Off"
        Option         "MultiGPU" "Off"
        Option         "BaseMosaic" "off"
        SubSection     "Display"
            Depth       24
        EndSubSection
    EndSection

I am hoping this may be my issues. If you look at the section with “HorizSync” and “VertiRefresh” it seems to be the refresh rate. My monitor is 60hz, yet none of those numbers are that.

Also does this file look correct? Nothing weird

• Hi,

Hardly ever you will need a xorg.conf file anymore. If everything goes well, X will autodetect your settings (monitor, graphics card, keyboard…).

Move it to a another place and try logging again.
    sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/xorg.conf /opt

If it doesn’t work, you can move it again:
    sudo mv /opt/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d

Cheers!

• That file was created by the Nvidia Settings when I turned on Full Pipeline.

What happens to that when this is changed. Also, this issue occurred before this was added, so I don’t think removing it resolves my issue.

Sorry, I am mixing up my issues. The above xorg stuff is related to screen tearing stuff, not steam. Are you saying removing that will help steam? That seems weird as well?

**Also do I need to reboot after running each of those commands?

• Hi,

No, removing that file won’t solve anything, it’s just that you don’t need it.

Please, check that you have these installed:
    nvidia, nvidia-utils, lib32-nvidia-utils

Also, you can try with the LTS kernel. You should install (including the ones above):
    linux-lts, nvidia-lts

And yes, it’s best to reboot (easier) after removing xorg.conf or after installing lts kernel or drivers…

Oh, and maybe this helps you:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam/Troubleshooting

Cheers!

• I tried the LTS Kernel recently for other reasons and I’d rather stay on the current if possible. If all else fails, then I will go to it.

I have nvidia and nvidia-utils installed but not lib32-nvidia-utils. What exactly is that?

Will read through that doc, though I usually find them not easy to understand.

• I have nvidia and nvidia-utils installed but not lib32-nvidia-utils. What exactly is that?

That’s the same as nvidia-utils, but for 32bit programs. I’m positive you need this if you’re using steam (it replaces the old lib32-nvidia-libgl)

• I’ll install it and see what happens. Thanks.

Though I had steam installed during the Antergos installer, so if it’s needed why was it not installed?

• You were right.

Installing lib32-nvidia-utils allows Steam to open and run. Thank you very much!

• Steam does not boot/ run

[[email protected] ~]$ steam-native
    /home/vinces/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 154: VERSION_ID: unbound variable
    /home/vinces/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 154: VERSION_ID: unbound variable
    Running Steam on antergos  64-bit
    STEAM_RUNTIME is disabled by the user
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(0)
    libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
    libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

either from CLI or menu icon. Fresh install of Antergos KDE

steam53 loading13 crash17 Posts 11Views 798