• Resolv.conf - Preserving Search Names Upon Reboot

Hello,

As the subject states, I’m adding some additional search names to my /etc/resolv.conf file so I don’t have to type out the fully qualified domain name when I want to SSH to a server.

I made these changes to the resolv.conf file and everything works as expected. However, when I restart my machine, the file gets reset and my changes are gone.

How do I preserve the changes I make to the resolv.conf file? OR should I be making these changes in a different file?

Thanks in advance for everyone’s time and help, it is greatly appreciated!

• Anyone that can help please?

• @a4orce84

Hi

Preserve DNS settings

dhcpcd, netctl, NetworkManager, and various other processes can overwrite /etc/resolv.conf. This is usually desirable behavior, but sometimes DNS settings need to be set manually (e.g. when using a static IP address). There are several ways to accomplish this.

If you are using dhcpcd, see #Modify the dhcpcd config below.
    If you are using netctl and static IP address assignment, do not use the DNS* options in your profile, otherwise resolvconf is called and /etc/resolv.conf overwritten.

With NetworkManager

To stop NetworkManager from modifying /etc/resolv.conf, edit /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf and add the following in the [main] section:

dns=none

/etc/resolv.conf might be a broken symlink that you will need to remove after doing that. Then, just create a new /etc/resolv.conf file.

Source: Arch wiki

Regards

• @a4orce84
    You may wanna try this solution, it works for me:
    /etc/resolv.conf is not saving after server reboot

• I rather not make it only read-access, since a lot of other applications need to modify that file (Network Manager, vpnc, etc.).

Anyone else have any other solutions or suggestions? I just want to add a few additional DNS entrees, nothing super crazy.

Thanks,
    Asif

search9 resolv.conf2 preserving2 names2 Posts 5Views 669
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.