• Error in installing latest updates! please need help.

can anyone please help.
    this morning i tried to update using -Syu command. all packages downloaded but cant install . it gives me this error.
    what to do?

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
    (120/120) checking keys in keyring                   [############################] 100%
    (120/120) checking package integrity                 [############################] 100%
    (120/120) loading package files                      [############################] 100%
    (120/120) checking for file conflicts                [############################] 100%
    error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
    ca-certificates-utils: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt exists in filesystem
    Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

• Okay apparently linking to other forum posts is now considered “spam” :confused:
    Go to the “announcements” section of the forum and find the thread labeled: “ca-certificates-utils-20170307-1-upgrade-requires-manual-intervention” and follow the instructions there.

P.S. The main Arch site has been down for several hours now. (Which is very odd because I was told in IRC that Arch’s site is “even more reliable than Google,” which might have been trolling – who knows.)

• @fernandomaroto has prepared a good collection of different threads that answer the question, for those who don’t want have time neither read nor search the forum.

• thanks alot. i went to this below thread.

https://forum.antergos.com/topic/6337/ca-certificates-utils-20170307-1-upgrade-requires-manual-intervention/4

and used force command.
    sudo pacman -Syu --force

now it is resolved. thanks

i m sorry guys. i am newbie. i am new to undestand when such type of errors or conflicts happen during upgrade in arch based distros.

i will remember the above --force command.

many thanks.

• @Sam-N said in Error in installing latest updates! please need help.:

i will remember the above --force command.

No, don’t remember it It’s safer to forget about it.

It may be potentially dangerous. If a system is almost clean and stable, if there are no other issues except the only one, then --force may help to solve it.

If there are some other issues in the system, then --force will silently “fix” them all - with unpredictable results.

As with any Arch upgrade, --force must not be used blindly. The user must have a clear idea about what will be --force’d, before applying it.

many thanks.

You’re wlcome. Thanks for marking the topic as [Solved].

• For me, using the --force option resolved the issue of certificates not being updated, but another came up. After logging in, there is no screen. That is, the screen remains black. I can hear the disk, so something is executed, probably updates checked, but the screen remains black. So I cannot do much with this system.

I have able to use a virtual screen (text mode), but nothing else.

Any ideas where my UI is hidden?

• @vpp21 i Guess you should open a new topic about it, describe the problem, which Login Manager and Desktop you use for a start…

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• Thanks @fernandomaroto!

I have difficulties understanding this posting interface. How to eventually post the written new issue? I see no promising object…

• @vpp21
    THIS is one way to create a new topic

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @vpp21 said in Error in installing latest updates! please need help.:

Thanks @fernandomaroto!

I have difficulties understanding this posting interface. How to eventually post the written new issue? I see no promising object…

If you’re asking how to start a new topic, then it’s pretty simple.

1. While reading any post, press the Home button, to scroll up to the top of a topic. There’s the HOME screen button in the upper left corner. Click it.
      0_1489958341867_antergos-forum-new-topic-1920x0180-1.png

2. The forum’s home page opens, with the list of all available forums. Select one suitable for your question, e.g., Newbie Corner, and click its title.
      0_1489958458731_antergos-forum-new-topic-1920x1080-2.png

3. The list of all posts in selected forum opens. There’s NEW TOPIC screen button in the upper left corner. Click it.
      0_1489958558016_antergos-forum-new-topic-1920x1080-3.png

4. The form to compose a new post opens in the lower part of the browser’s window. Type in the subject, the post, click ASK AS QUESTION button. Or DISCARD, to abandon all changes.
      0_1489958751887_antergos-forum-new-topic-1920x1080-4.png

5. Done

• OK, now I see what I miss in this tablet interface. I have no way to enter the subject/title, so the Ask button does not work. If I cannot resolve this today, I will create the issue tomorrow. Thanks guys!

updates26 help15 installing51 error165 Posts 11Views 734