• 2 questions, remove sudo from normal user, and install "vboxdrv"

Loving Antergos so far! Never dabbled around with Arch outside of Manjaro until I heard about Antergos. I’m only having 2 problems.

1. VirtualBox isn’t working yet, since I’m not sure how to install the “vboxdrv”.

2. I have a root user so I want to remove my normal user’s sudo ability.

I know my questions are Arch nooby but this is the “Newbie Corner” :)
    Any and all help will be appreciated!

• Hi!

1. If you mean to use your OS as a guest system, you must install these two packages: virtualbox and virtualbox-host-dkms

2. You can remove the sudo package: sudo pacman -Rs sudo

Cheers!

• @antergosfgm Is a little messy to make 2 questions in one post…

To enable virtualbox about “vobxdrv error” just open a terminal and type:
    sudo modprobe vboxdrv
    Cheers!

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• Thanks for the helpful responses everyone! Also @karasu do you mean use my OS as a host system? Is it called being the host system or the guest system when my Antergos is running virtualbox and there is another OS running within Antergos? In this case is Antergos the being used a host system or a guest sytem? and @fernandomaroto I think it started working when I installed the dkms package, what does that command do exactly?

• @fernandomaroto When I run

sudo modprobe vboxdrv

I get:

modprobe: FATAL: Module vboxdrv not found in directory /lib/modules/4.10.3-1-ARCH

• Today after restarting my virtualbox driver isnt working again, but it started working yesterday after installing a package? Is there a way to see what packages were installed when like with DNF in Fedora?

I got virtualbox and sudo modprobe vboxdrv to work by installing:
    "virtualbox-hosts-modules-arch"
    then I ran @fernandomaroto 's solution

sudo modprobe vboxdrv

• @antergosfgm said in 2 questions, remove sudo from normal user, and install "vboxdrv":

…Is there a way to see what packages were installed …

Yes, there is. Everything pacman does, it keeps in its log:

/var/log/pacman.log

Installed | uninstalled pkgs, warnings, errors, upgrades, initramfs rebuilds, everything is there.

• Thanks @just !

@karasu should I do:

sudo pacman -R

or

sudo pacman -Rs

• also, what does

sudo pacman -Syuw

do?

and does the -w or -W by itself have a function?

• Hi,

It’s better to use pacman -Rs, because the ‘s’ removes all dependencies:

-s Remove each target specified including all of their dependencies, provided that (A) they are not required by other packages;
               and (B) they were not explicitly installed by the user. This operation is recursive and analogous to a backwards --sync
               operation, and it helps keep a clean system without orphans. If you want to omit condition (B), pass this option twice.

The -w option tells pacman to download new updates but not apply them. It’s necessary for this “patch” this time, but you do not need to use it, so next time a pacman -Syu will suffice.

Cheers!

• Thanks! @karasu that clears that up, 1 more question, maybe you can answer it. Why do some files have a x-trash file created for them? They are hidden files with ~ appended to the end for example song.mp3~ which is hidden and says its an “x-trash” file. Got any idea what that is? Thanks for the amazingly helpful responses guys!

• Hi,

A ~ in the end only means that it is a backup created by a text editor or similar program. Did you edit that mp3 file?

A x-trash only means that is a backup file that, if you have the original, can be safely deleted:
    application/x-trash ~ % bak old sik

I got curious and scanned my hd for ~ files. I only have a few of them, mostly edited text files.

If you want to check your system:
    sudo find / -type f -iname '*~'

Cheers!

vboxdrv1 remove13 sudo8 normal1 Posts 12Views 315