• Antergos Repo Priority Update

Hello. I am inquiring about the update of today (3/17/2017). The notification window went away before I could read it. Is this update to replace the Arch mirror list in the config.d file?

Dell 980 SFF
    4 x Intel i5 CPU 660 @ 3.33 GHz
    8 GiB Memory
    HDD 250
    Current KDE Plasma 5

• I noticed the same thing. However, I think there may possibly be an error in the package.
    @euge said in Antergos Repo Priority Update:

Hello. I am inquiring about the update of today (3/17/2017). The notification window went away before I could read it. Is this update to replace the Arch mirror list in the config.d file?

Here’s a screen shot of the Antergos System Message as displayed on my system for your reference (Gnome 3.22.2, kernel 4.10.2):
    0_1489809989471_AntSysMsg-AntergosRepoPriority_20170317.png

The “For more information” link is to a wiki page, which explains what the package does (checks to see in what order Antergos repos are listed relative to Arch repos), and how to replace /etc/pacman.conf. (I tried including the link here, but my post gets rejected as spam–too new as a member?)

And that page has a link to an announcement from 12 Jun 2016, where (if I understand correctly) Dustin explains that the purpose of antergos-repo-priority is to temporarily position Antergos repos above Arch repos to enable properly updating MATE and Cinnamon packages that were at that time newly hosted by Antergos. (Again, sorry, but links seem to be prohibited for me.)

What’s confusing to me is that, at least on my system, the /etc/pacman.conf.pacnew file created today by the updated antergos-repo-priority package doesn’t contain any Antergos repo. The /etc/pacman.conf contains two Antergos repo entries (“antergos-staging,” which is commented out, and “antergos,” which is active).

Was that the intended result?

• @aphidophilus Hmm…that’s odd. I’ll look into it. Thanks for the report!

• Although I didn’t get any messages (that I’m aware of), I can also confirm the trimmed content of /etc/pacman.conf.pacnew. The only active repos listed in this file appear to be:

[core]
    Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

[extra]

[community]

• @lots.0.logs , thanks for your help and for all you’re doing with Antergos.

Some further info:

1. When I updated today (18 Mar 2017), antergos-repo-priority updated from ver 1.0.5-1 to 1.0.6-2:
      0_1489881436672_Screenshot from 2017-03-18 19-51-39.png
      However, no change to either /etc/pacman.conf or /etc/pacman.conf.pacnew for my system after these updates were processed.

2. I’m embarrassed to say that yesterday I didn’t think to check the date modified for these files–I did today, and it would appear that neither has been modified since 8-Mar:
      0_1489881731538_Screenshot from 2017-03-18 19-50-05.png
      IIRC, that matches the date I re-installed Antergos on this computer/drive, so no change since the installer created these.

So, is the antergos-repo-priority package doing what it’s supposed to do (at least for my system, which is evidently not making any changes, perhaps because I’m running Gnome rather than MATE or Cinnamon) and there’s nothing to be worried or confused about?

• @aphidophilus same “no modification made” behavior here on xfce. But again, (I believe) I never got any warning notifications.

• So what are we suppose to do with this if we are running KDE? I noticed that it said for Cinnamon and MATE DE’s. I have it just setting there in the update manager unticked. Thank you =-)

Dell 980 SFF
    4 x Intel i5 CPU 660 @ 3.33 GHz
    8 GiB Memory
    HDD 250
    Current KDE Plasma 5

• @euge said in Antergos Repo Priority Update:

So what are we suppose to do with this if we are running KDE?..

Just a personal point of view.

Until a year ago [antergos-staging] and [antergos] repos had lower priority than Arch repos - were placed below them:

#[testing]
    [core]
    [extra]
    [community]
    [multilib]

#[antergos-staging]
    [antergos]

Then, it was decided to give them a highest priority, for Antergos-specific Mate and Cinnamon adjustments. Highest priority is given by placing them above Arch repos:

#[antergos-staging]
    [antergos]

#[testing]
    [core]
    [extra]
    [community]
    [multilib]

The antergos-repo-priority utility was made for users, who weren’t confident with modifying pacman.conf by hand and move Antergos repos above Arch repos. The utility does it automatically.

AFAIK, the utility still does nothing more - only moves Antergos repos above Arch repos.

In Antergoses, installed after summer 2016, the repos should be already in correct order - Antergos above Arch.

Repos priority should not affect Plasma, Xfce, Openbox, Gnome users. For now, Antergos has no specific pkgs for these DEs, so repos order doesn’t matter that much in this case. But it’s better to have the repos in official Antergos order.

If Antergos repos are above Arch on your system, there’s no need to do anything. If they are still below Arch, then simply move them hand on top of the repos list.

Again, it’s only a personal experience. Antergos devs may disagree with it.

repo15 priority3 Posts 8Views 812