• My screen is going to h*** in a hand basket at night.

I have what I think is a rather strange problem; when I first use the system in the morning the screen is crystal clear. Text on reddit and any other site is very easy to read, great contrast, BUT around about 7:00PM my display starts to turn to s**t but then when I leave for the night the next morning the screen is great again.
    Gets all grainy and text on some sites is incredibly hard to read.
    I have tried running without xf86-video-intel using modesetting instead, no change, I disabled the DM, sddm in my case, and use startx, no change. I have rebooted so many times it’s ridiculous, thinking that might be the problem; long usage.
    My computer is 9years old, or there abouts, Toshiba L355 S7902 and runs great.
    My system is totally up to date, as I run pacman or pacaur -Syu more than 2-3x;s a day.
    I tried install xflux but that didn’t help at all, in fact, to me, it made it worse.
    I have run out of ideas, do any of you guys/gals have an idea?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

• Try to run another OS or distro in live mode or install it on a small partition (ubuntu, mint, or Windows, whatever), just to rule out that it isn’t a hardware problem.

KDE/XFCE/i3-WM

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing its stupid.

• Just booted up the Antergos live dvd and opened Chromium and went to reddit.com/r/linux
    and the screen is grainy.
    Now, I can guarantee, tomorrow morning the screen will be fine.
    Sure wish I knew what is going on.

• Well I booted up Linux Mnt 18 Xfce and the results are the same, grainy.
    Guess I will have to keep looking. Tried xflux iwith different gammas and that didn’t help either.

• @herbie
    Hi!
    Is not a monitor problem?
    Do you have redshift or blueshift installed (or any other color/temperature monitor changer)?

Portergos site
    https://github.com/Portergos/portergos-iso

Still in love with Antergos (default OS)
    I3wm

Linux newbie since 06/2016

• No nothing else is started. I had thought that maybe using xflux, from commandline, would do something, but alas, nothing different.
    I think it is a h/w problem but be darned if I know what as I said, it will be fine in the morning. Just that at about 7:30pm the screen gets grainy.
    I have looked thru the BIOS and there iis nothing there to modify in the way of display brightness/contrast.
    Thanks so much for your reply as any help now is deeply appreciated.

• @herbie And you didn’t create any systemd service about that?

And here is the link text of some tools that you maybe played around 🙂

Portergos site

I3wm

• My display is perfect this morning soI may give that a try tonite if my display goes wonky, which I am sure it will.
    Thanks so much for the link, now I have to determine video, as in Integrated Intel.
    Just found I have G45.

• @herbie Ok, you’re welcome, i must say i have no more ideas hehehehe.
    Good luck 👍

Portergos site

I3wm

• Well, it’s past 7:30PM and I have rebooted as well and the screen if fine so far.
    What I did was use xbacklight -inc 20 until the screen was what I thought it should be.
    Now, crystal clear, really sharp. Sure hope it stays this way cause this is one great screen.

display46 screen17 Posts 10Views 1297
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.