• No longer login in Gnome after installing GDM

Hi guys,

I’ve changed my display manager and change the default one for GDM.
    My problem now is when I try to login in Gnome Session computer freezes after login. On the other hand, I can login in Gnome on Xorg without problems. Any idea to be able to login in Gnome Session again?

Cheers.

• choose gnome-Xorg session inside gdm…
    Bild Text

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad Thanks for the answering, I was answering what is the difference between both.

Cheers

• Ahoi ;)

Gnome standard is now wayland session called only Gnome is the Gnome-Wayland session…

Normal behavior is that if you choose gnome (wayland) GDM try to start a wayland session and if this fails taking Xorg session… but as you see it freeze for you on fail…

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad Thanks for the information. Are there any difference in terms of performance, characteristics, etc?

Cheers.

• I get wayland working a month ago and it was just better quality on watching video and also better fonts…
    But never get back to starup with wayland under gnome…

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• and thank to you reminding me on Wayland i get it back working!

I can not start wayland session because of conky! After disable conky autostarting i am back to wayland session.

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad I have been using conky for a while in other distros but it is not configured in my laptop with Antergos yet. Because of that I suppose that it cannot be the problem. Are you using Gnome as well?

Cheers

• gnome here too…
    And you are right i reenable conky and put sleep to 25sec. and i can start wayland and conky under xwayland then…
    But before i disable all autostart programms + shell extensions and reenable one after the other … last one was conky …
    Wayland is not that stable itself then…

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad Maybe the question is effectively disable start up programs and extensions and login into Wayland. After that reenable everything. I have to check out that.

Cheers.

• As i can see at my System and Setup nouveau+gnome+wayland is still not working well… i go back to Nvidia Driver and xorg-session because i got Screen flickering with noveau.

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad Deactivating Startup apps and extensions worked partially. I was able to log into Wayland but some parts of the system worked funny. Some extensions that usually works with Wayland didn´t work. There was no way to make to work plank and other apps. Because of that at the end I left the laptop working in xorg-session.

longer6 installing66 gnome242 login77 Posts 12Views 868