• Like 0

Issues with updating recently...

I noticed I hadn’t been getting any updates recently so I generated a new mirror set from the Arch mirror page, uncommented the ones I wanted, pasted them into /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist, and now a bunch of updates came through. :confused:

The last update before this problem was to pamac 4.3.0-1. The old mirrors generated from Cnchi seemed to be ok, none of them were commented out…the repos appeared to downloading/syncing upon clicking “refresh mirror list” in the pamac settings…I have no idea, there was simply no updates and it said the system was already updated. I only knew something was wrong because I knew FF 52 had come out recently.

There was 1 error I saw in journalctl, and it’s still present: pamac-daemon[x]: Error: Failed to execute child process "pacman-mirrors" (No such file or directory)…is that concerning? Could I have been blacklisted by the old mirrors and not known about it (ghost throttling) since a 404 would theoretically come back as an actual 404?

• Like 1

i use reflector for it if i get mirror problems:

reflector -l 50 -f 20 --save /tmp/mirrorlist.new && cat  /tmp/mirrorlist.new
    sudo cp /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist.bak
    sudo cp /tmp/mirrorlist.new /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    http://kamprad.net/howto-installing-antergos/
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/1883/how-to-include-system-logs-when-asking-for-help

• Like 0

How often does this sort of thing happen?

• Like 0
  • Like 0

@d_K said in Issues with updating recently...:

How often does this sort of thing happen?

depends on a lot of things… also stupid things ISP doing…
    But not often maybe one time two times a year…

https://forum.antergos.com/topic/1883/how-to-include-system-logs-when-asking-for-help

• Like 0

Hi,

You have to always check /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist.pacnew when the mirrorlist package is updated, as pacman will not change your mirrorlist by itself.

This is because the mirrorlist is updated from time to time.

Also, if antergos-mirrorlist package is updated, you’ll have to check /etc/pacman.d/antergos-mirrorlist.pacnew

Cheers!

• Like 0

@karasu I’m afraid I don’t understand you. Are you saying when pacman-mirrorlist gets an update, it will generate “mirrorlist.pacnew” and it’s your responsibility to copy its contents into “mirrorlist” (and the same goes for antergos-mirrorlist)? It really seems like this sort of thing can easily be automated and something like reflector-timer-weekly should be installed by default.

• Like 0

I’m afraid I don’t understand you. Are you saying when pacman-mirrorlist gets an update, it will generate “mirrorlist.pacnew” and it’s your responsibility to copy its contents into “mirrorlist” (and the same goes for antergos-mirrorlist)?

It’s not copy its contents but update them. Pacman can’t have the responsability to analize whatever changes you have made to your mirrorlist file and update it accordingly.

Cheers!

• Like 0

Not sure if it’s the same problem, but i noticed some problem in a VM when trying to install stuffs pacman had problem to connect, and it seem it jumped to the next mirror… Then i just executed reflector and the problem was gone…

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• Like 0

So we just got an update for antergos-mirrorlist…and there’s no antergos-mirrorlist.pacnew…just a recently modified antergos-mirrorlist? What exactly are we supposed to do with this file? I see there’s 2 “sections”: Automated Mirror Selection and Manual Mirror Selection…but all the mirrors in the file are uncommented? Does reflector have no integration with this file? Are we supposed to manually comment out all the Manual Mirror Selection mirrors and let the “automated mirror selection” handle things? I’m really confused right now. :confused: :confused: :confused:

• Like 0

my one looks like this:
    http://paste2.org/nev6B1Y8
    but no antergos-mirrorlist.pacnew too

• Like 1

So we just got an update for antergos-mirrorlist…and there’s no antergos-mirrorlist.pacnew…just a recently modified antergos-mirrorlist?

A new antergos-mirrorlist, when arrives, overwrites existing /etc/pacman.d/anteros-mirrorlist. An antergos-mirrorlist.pacnew doesn’t exist.

What exactly are we supposed to do with this file?

Nothing.

It is used by pacman. It lists the mirrors where [antergos] repo resides. It’s the repo that holds Antergos-specific pkgs. They are not part of regular Arch repos.

antergos-mirrorlist is made by Antergos devs. For example, to this 20170321-1 release they have added two new mirrors - one in Bulgaria, and another, a new one, in Germany.

I see there’s 2 “sections”: Automated Mirror Selection and Manual Mirror Selection…but all the mirrors in the file are uncommented?

Yes, they are all uncommented. It’s pacman’s basics. It is possible to have any number of enabled mirrors, not only one or two.

Pacman searches for a package on all enabled servers, until the pkg is found. If a mirror is unreachable, or the pkg is not found on it, pacman skips to next mirror in the list. Once a pkg is found, pacman stops searching. It’s the standard pacman’s behaviour.

Does reflector have no integration with this file?

No, it does not. Reflector works with regular Arch repos only.

Are we supposed to manually comment out all the Manual Mirror Selection mirrors and let the “automated mirror selection” handle things?

No, we aren’t. Do not comment out anything in antergos-mirrorlist. The file is good as is, usually there’s no need to modify it.

“Automated selection” simply means that the Server= will automatically select a physical mirror to use.

“Manual selection” means that Server= points to a physical mirror address.

I’m really confused right now. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Why? Everything is pretty simple.

• Like 0

@just thanks for that thorough reply…I was (and still am) confused because your comments about antergos-mirrorlist.pacnew seem to contradict @karasu’s statements about the file.

• Like 0

@just thanks for that thorough reply…I was (and still am) confused because your comments about antergos-mirrorlist.pacnew seem to contradict @karasu’s statements about the file.

Could you be so kind to point out where the contradiction is? Maybe I missed something.

• Like 0

@karasu said in Issues with updating recently...:

Hi,

You have to always check /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist.pacnew when the mirrorlist package is updated, as pacman will not change your mirrorlist by itself.

This is because the mirrorlist is updated from time to time.

Also, if antergos-mirrorlist package is updated, you’ll have to check /etc/pacman.d/antergos-mirrorlist.pacnew

Cheers!

True he is saying that there is a pacnew also for antergos ;)

• Like 1

@joekamprad said in Issues with updating recently...:

@karasu said in Issues with updating recently...:

True he is saying that there is a pacnew also for antergos ;)

OK, I see, thanks. The fact is that on my computers I never see antergos-mirrorlist.pacnew. The new antergos-mirrorlist directly overwrites the old antergos-mirrorlist here.

While I was writing these posts, I thoroughly followed the package upgrade - it was upgraded right now. The old antergos-mirrorlist was directly overwritten with the new one…

Oh, probably I know the reason. I almost never modify the old antergos-mirrorlist by hand. If there are no user changes in the config file, pacman overwrites it directly, without pacnew. Pacnew is created only when pacman sees that the user has modified a file. To not loose user changes, pacman creates a pacnew.

issues28 updating9 recently1 Posts 16Views 514