• Filezilla missing in Show applications

Hi guys and girls
    I hope you can help me.

Filezilla is missing from the applications menu, however, I can run it from the terminal by writing filezilla.

Can anyone help get it back to the applications menu?

I have tried uninstalling it, and reinstalling it, but didn’t help.

• @allanhansen what desktop are you using? have you looked under all the menus to see if they put in different area?

• @megaman I’m using Gnome 3.2.

• @allanhansen are you able to search for it in the menu? im not running gnome but i think there is a search option at the top of the menu.

alt text

alt text

• @megaman no, that was actually my initial frustration, which led me to the applications menu.

• @allanhansen have you tried restarting in between install. so install app and restart.

never had this issue in gnome before.

• @megaman just tried it, didn’t help thought.

It is a strange issue.

• @allanhansen that is very odd. hopefully someone comes along with a solution. there are also lots of ftp programs in the repos to choose from. just search ftp in pamac and see a whole lot of them. browser extensions ftp also with firefox and chrome. lots of options or just keep running from terminal which i like to do alot anyway with some of my apps.

• then you’ll need to creat a .desktop file in /usr/share/application so the icon will appear when you look for it…
    I don’t use gnome, but i notice some programs (rare cases) doesn’t appear directly

EDIT: it’s possible that your desktop is in /usr/lib/[your_app] like thunderbird… (when i have problems with some ICONS is because theur .desktop don’t exist in /usr/share/applications but are in /usr/lib/[application])

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @megaman very odd indeed. But thanks anyways. I haven’t found a decent FTP client to replace Filezilla yet.

@fernandomaroto thanks, I will try your suggestion tonight. I’ll let you know how it goes.

• @allanhansen I am having the same problem as you (missing Filezilla icon), but I have an additional twist. I am running Antergos in a VM (VMware Workstation 12 Pro 12.5.2 build-4638234). I’m running Gnome 3.22.1-1. When I try to run Filezilla from the command line, the VM freezes and I have no choice but to power off/on the VM [yes, I have to follow Roy Trenneman’s advice from The IT Crowd]. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this issue?

• /usr/share/applications/filezilla.desktop

exists after installation…

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    http://kamprad.net/howto-installing-antergos/
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/1883/how-to-include-system-logs-when-asking-for-help

• @joekamprad I concur. I also have /usr/share/applications/filezilla.desktop:
    0_1489001627362_upload-c595f1d9-935f-4548-886a-c14f2d879faf

• Sorry, i gave a “generic” answer since i don’t have filezilla installed here.
    I had to create a .desktop the way i described once, i was running gnome, to make the app appear in “dash to dock” bar and inside the “searching” mode…
    Specifically i made the shortcut to quickly launch “mate-panel” and worked…

I3wm - Mate desktop
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

• Well, strange thing here - I also have the filezilla.desktop file, but still the icon/application is missing.

• @allanhansen Weird…
    take a look here gnome if your .desktop has all the necessary specifications…

Like this line:
    Categories=GTK;GNOME;Utility;

I3wm - Mate desktop
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

• According to the link, it seems fine, but maybe there is something I’m not seeing. Here is my filezilla.desktop, can anyone see something missing?

[Desktop Entry] 
    Name=FileZilla 
    GenericName=FTP client 
    GenericName[da]=FTP-klient 
    GenericName[de]=FTP-Client 
    GenericName[fr]=Client FTP 
    Comment=Download and upload files via FTP, FTPS and SFTP 
    Comment[da]=Download og upload filer via FTP, FTPS og SFTP 
    Comment[de]=Dateien über FTP, FTPS und SFTP übertragen 
    Comment[fr]=Transférer des fichiers via FTP, FTPS et SFTP 
    Exec=filezilla 
    Terminal=false 
    Icon=filezilla 
    Type=Application 
    Categories=Network;FileTransfer; 
    Version=1.0

• @allanhansen well i don’t know how to help you further, a good tip is that you compare your filezilla.desktop with one that is working (appearing) fine in your gnome…

I3wm - Mate desktop
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

• There is something wrong with the file [filezilla.desktop] from installation, i create a new one and it works…

[Desktop Entry]
    Type=Application
    Exec=/usr/bin/filezilla
    Terminal=false
    Hidden=false
    Categories=Network;FileTransfer;
    Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/filezilla.png
    Name=FileZilla

There is also a tool to create this files Arronax

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    http://kamprad.net/howto-installing-antergos/
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/1883/how-to-include-system-logs-when-asking-for-help

• @joekamprad LOL, i’ll check this app, i’m using i3 and have to manually create (i made a script) the files… very usefull if works here…

I3wm - Mate desktop
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

application18 Posts 27Views 1675