• Which Display Manager are you using?

Maybe a question that’s more linked to the choose of desktop, but i am curious about that. Your choose plus a small “why” can maybe help some people, me included, to choose. Lightdm is good but no go for me, too much interface clutter and mouse and key clicks to get logged in, so now on gdm.

But gdm is buggy on my system, that’s why i search further.
    @fernandomaroto has point me too sddm, that i will try in the coming day’s.

Important display manager functionalities for me:

• secure
    • all user login (direct username plus password field)
    • desktop switch
    • battery

All direct visible and reageable, and maybe date and time.

• I go with lightdm, but i use the lightdm-gtk-greeter, it has a simple but good configuration tool:
    lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    http://kamprad.net/howto-installing-antergos/
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/1883/how-to-include-system-logs-when-asking-for-help

• My choice is SDDM as I have created about 11 different ones.
    It is so easy to customize and super reliable.
    Can have the last user show or not, which I think is somewhat of a security feature although kinda not needed in a single user home environment but perhaps useful in a business environment, as if Antergos would ever be used that way. No slight on Antergos, but business wouldn’t, in most cases, want a rolling-release, Debian, RedHat, Centos more likely.
    The only issue using SDDM on Debian/Mint I found, was it would drag i half of KDE.

• @bartatantergos said in Which Display Manager are you using?:

Lightdm is really no go for me, too much clutter and clicks to get logged in,

I assume you are referring to an old bug in our default lightdm greeter theme that made it impossible to get to the password prompt without using the mouse. That bug was fixed a year ago. All you have to do to get to a password prompt is press either enter or spacebar. I just wanted to clear that up so that people don’t continue to advertise inaccurate information about the greeter (really its a problem that all open source software faces–the continuous advertising of incorrect or out-of-date information about the software)

• @lots.0.logs No, that old bug i know and whas fixed. That’s why i don’t speak about a bug, but about the interface clutter (don’t know is the exact word in English) and too much mouse clicks.
    It’s also no complain, Lightdm is good, but 3-4 mouse clicks to login is too much for me.

I wil edit my post to make it more clear.

• @bartatantergos It does not take any mouse clicks to log in. Unless I have misunderstood you? :confused:

• @lots.0.logs My explanation is maybe not clear, with clicks i mean mouse clicks or key clicks, will edit my post.
    When i boot my system with Lightdm i have to:
    1 click (mouse or key click) too choose a user
    2 click (mouse or key click) then on the password field
    3 type the password
    4 click (mouse or key click) to enter
    And most of the times i have too click (mouse or key click) twice because the previous click is not accepted. Maybe something to do with the Mac hardware?
    Plus all other interface clutter like the background chooser.

When i boot my system with gdm i have to:
    2 type the password
    3 click (mouse or key click) to enter

One click (mouse or key click) more in interface design is one too much. :-)
    Anyway, i wil check sddm because what i read about that seams promising and also try to theme the Lightdm WebKit2 Greeter to my needs. It wasn’t clear to me that Lightdm is themeable.

When i boot my system with Lightdm i have to:
    2 click (mouse or key click) then on the password field
    3 type the password
    4 click (mouse or key click) to enter

Since the bug I mentioned has been fixed, the steps on a single-user system are now as follows:

1. Press Enter or Spacebar.
    2. Type password.
    3. Press Enter

The steps on a multi-user system are now as follows:

1. Press Enter or Spacebar.
    2. Select user account.
    3. Type password.
    4. Press Enter

I understand what you’re saying. I just wanted to clarify the steps for anyone reading this thread :wink:

@bartatantergos said:

It wasn’t clear to me that Lightdm is themeable.

The LightDM Greeter that we developed is themeable using HTML/CSS/Javascript. You can find the Theme API Docs here

• @lots.0.logs Thanks to make it more clear. My Antergos system is up to date so that bug is already a long time gone. I am already checking the API documentation here: https://doclets.io/Antergos/web-greeter/stable
    The link that you have put is a 403 Forbidden access page.

The link that you have put is a 403 Forbidden access page.

Whoops :sweat_smile:

• Using SDDM here. Allows all the points you mentioned. The reason for me to move there from, I think, LightDM was to start KDE Plasma in a Wayland session.

• How can one replace the lightdm with another login manager, i.e. slim?

Antergos with an XFCE, Core2Duo CPU E8200 and 3GB RAM in a Lenovo A57 box from 2009, nVidia GeForce GT 710 1GB, SSD 120GB

• @mirco you must:

1. install the new login manager sudo pacman -S slim
    2. open a terminal or tty (ctrl+alt+F2)
    3. type sudo systemctl disable lightdm to disable the current login manager (lightdm)
    4. enable the new one sudo systemctl enable slim
    5. reboot

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @fernandomaroto Thanks a lot, it worked. Now I tried slim and gdm, but I don’t like them. Now xdm. I disabled gdm and removed it via pamac-manager. But when trying to enable xdm, I get the following error message:

$ sudo systemctl enable xdm
    Failed to enable unit: File /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service 
    already exists and is a symlink to /usr/lib/systemd/system/gdm.service.

Antergos with an XFCE, Core2Duo CPU E8200 and 3GB RAM in a Lenovo A57 box from 2009, nVidia GeForce GT 710 1GB, SSD 120GB

• @mirco ou can reinstall gdm and try again to remove it, but may open your own treat on this issue… Which Display Manager are you using?: is the question here…

https://forum.antergos.com/topic/1883/how-to-include-system-logs-when-asking-for-help

• @mirco it seems you didn’t remove gdm
    sudo systemctl disable gdm
    sudo systemctl enable xdm
    reboot

@joekamprad i thought the post creator and @mirco were the same person…
    I’ll be more carefull with offtopic next time…

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @fernandomaroto It is only that a forum should be like a wiki… if we change the talkingpoint from what the topic is about, we are loosing this. {endpoint}

• I just wanted to let everyone know that you DO NOT have to reboot when switching display managers
    Use:
    systemctl disable “current DM” - -now
    then
    systemctl enable “new DM” - - now
    I think I got the syntax right.

• @fernandomaroto said in Which Display Manager are you using?:

@mirco it seems you didn’t remove gdm

I did remove gdm.
    But seemingly, that didn’t remove the link.
    It had to be removed it by hand.

• Hello all, if this thread is still open, i’d like to ask if anyone has any idea how to get CDM to work… im running i3 on plasma, cant get CDM to work

the error i get is -

cdm-xlaunch: waiting for ConsoleKit to register X session
    dbus-monitor: unable to enable new-style monitoring: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: "Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", 
    Falling back to eavesdropping

and the login prompt appears again.

if i set ConsoleKit=no in cdmrc then i get no error, but the login prompt keeps looping after each login. I tried setting xtty=‘keep’ but that didnt work either.

i could not find any solution on google, does anyone know a workaround?

thanks for helping!

display26 manager38 Posts 22Views 1640