• Like 0

Second screen freezes both Gnome and openBox

Strange and little different problems while connecting second screen with Gnome and openBox.

When i connect second screen …

Gnome:
    … before boot, then computer freezes to both black screens.
    … after boot, then computer has bad resolutions on both screens, tweaking the settings doesn’t do too much for the second screen.

openBox:
    … before boot, then computer freezes to both black screens.
    … after boot, then computer has same good resolution on main screen, the second screen stays black.

I think that this has to do with the Apple Mini Display port on the MacBook Pro.
    The connection: MacBook Pro Mini Display port to DVI adapter —> DVI cable to DVI input second screen.

Tips & tricks, please.

• Like 0

@karasu Hi, i have already running xrandr for a while. I will have to tweak it better. Will xrandr work/does the fix in Gnome?

• Like 0

@bartatantergos xrandr works at xorg level, so if it works in one desktop it will work in all of them ;)

• Like 0

@karasu Thanks, but weird xrandr works different in Gnome then open box, see my post above.
    In Gnome second screen works when connected after login but none of the available resolution are ok for my second screen.
    In openbox no second screen detected at all.

Terminal output in Gnome:

Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 2720 x 1024, maximum 16384 x 16384
    LVDS-0 connected primary 1440x900+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 331mm x 207mm
       1440x900      59.90*+
    DP-0 connected 1280x1024+1440+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 510mm x 290mm
       1920x1080     60.00 +
       1280x1024     75.02    60.02* 
       1152x864      75.00  
       1024x768      75.03    60.00  
       800x600       75.00    60.32  
       640x480       75.00    59.94 

This list of possible resolutions are working from 640x480 till 1024x768. When i choose one from 1152x864 till 1920x1080 both screens become black and i have to reboot. Second screen can do 1920x1080 maximum.

I can’t work without properly second screen, so i have to find a fix or screen that will work with Antergos Gnome (and if possible with open box).

• Like 0

My second screen is 16:9 but in Gnome desktop only the 4:3 settings are working, with a stretched desktop as result. The 16:9 settings in Gnome freezes my computer into two black screens.

• Like 0

You are using p®əˈprī-iˌterē Nvidia Drivers or nouveau?

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    http://kamprad.net/howto-installing-antergos/
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/1883/how-to-include-system-logs-when-asking-for-help

• Like 0

@joekamprad Nvidia driver (compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0)

• Like 0

@bartatantergos said in Second screen freezes both Gnome and openBox:

compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0

what do you do for installing this???

https://forum.antergos.com/topic/1883/how-to-include-system-logs-when-asking-for-help

• Like 0

@joekamprad Nothing it’s installed like this during Antergos installation. Maybe that extra info isn’t needed, i have put that for if it’s needed to help understand the problem.

• Like 0

Nobody who knows a kind of solution or can point me to a place where i could start?
    I have checked a lot on this but still i am lost, could be something simple. Without second screen i can’t work.

• Like 0

Have you tried using Gnome xorg session instead of wayland?

• Like 0

@karasu No, i am searching now how to do the switch or maybe i better ask; how to do the switch? edit: Stupid question from me. Tested and Gnome xorg session gives the same problem. To be sure, also tested with Gnome classic, with same problem.

Maybe this can help to understand the problem:
    When at login screen and then i connect the second screen the two screens becomes black, but now on the first screen the mouse pointer stays visible but distorted, pixelated like arcading games. ;)
    I will switch display manager to check if that’s the problem.

• Like 0

On sddm i can choose from:
    Gnome, Gnome Wayland, Gnome Classic and Gnome on Xorg
    Default it whas Gnome, but what means this?
    Gnome Wayland gives me direct two black screens, nothing more.

Now back on Lightdm where i can choose from:
    Gnome, Gnome, Gnome Classic and Gnome on Xorg
    Twice Gnome, no Gnome Wayland? The second i think is Wayland.
    Still when i connect second screen first screen get pixelated, second stays black. When i want to change second screen to 16:9, two black screens and have to reboot.

With lichtdm and second screen already connected first screen is distorted but visible, icon’s are not visible, second screen black.

• Like 0

@karasu: Is it possible that it has to do with the sequence order when desktop is build and second display is connected?

I have to ask this: Are there people out there who are using Antergos Gnome on a (Mac) computer connected to a second screen?
    What’s your setup, system and hardware?

• Like 0

When i run while second screen is connected:

xrandr -q

I get:

LVDS-8 connected primary 1440x980+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 331mm x 207mm
       1440x980       59.98*+
    DP-8 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
       1920x1888     60.08 +
       1280x1824.    75.02
    ... And so on 
    DP-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    DP-2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    DP-3 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    DP-4 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    DP-5 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

Why it is DP-8 and DP-0 isn’t existing?
    My primary (build-in) screen is also LVDS-8 and not LVDS-0.
    Strange or not?
    I have only one screen/display out port.

• Like 0

Also: Is it normal that there isn’t a /etc/X11/xorg.conf file?
    Read a lot of arch related posts but all posts are old and/or without proper solutions. And making me more confused. :-/

• Like 0

/etc/X11/xorg.conf is not used conf files are under
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ now…

• Like 0

@joekamprad Thanks, that’s one thing less confusing. That’s because of systemd?

• Like 0

Could this be the fix:

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/334612/how-to-properly-configure-external-monitors-in-arch-with-macbook-pro-11-4

Which consequences or other problem could come up with switching to the linux-lts 4.4 kernel?

second screen3 Posts 20Views 518