• Disappearing Bootloader

Hello there!

Specs:
    i7-5820k
    Asus X99-E WS
    4x4GB Corsair LPX DDR4-2133
    GTX 1070
    GTX 760 (Recently reinstalled)
    Samsung 850 128GB (As of recently, Windows)
    Samsung 840 500GB (All Antergos partitions)
    2TB HDD

I’ve been using Antergos for a bit and quite like the experience, had a few small problems getting my rtl8192cu wifi module working, getting my system to utilize my GPU properly and KDE (Those seem to be par for the course though).

None of that was unsolvable for me, however, my bootloader has disappeared multiple times (4-5) attempts to reinstall it have been made, but always failed.
    Google research pointed towards issues with dual boot, as every time it would happen it’d be replaced by the Windows Bootloader, however, I did not have Windows on a separate partition or even on a separate Disk.

All the usual UEFI suspects were disabled.

The most recent time it happened I was installing my old GTX 760 in hopes of using it as my main Graphics Card, while passing my GTX 1070 through to a Windows KVM.
    While installing it I accidentally unplugged the disk (500GB Samsung) that had Antergos on it and booted.
    Being unable to boot I noticed that the disk was not listed in the BIOS and plugged the power connectors back in.
    Upon booting again I was greeted with what usually happens when my bootloader inexplicably disappears; a black screen with a cursor that blinks twice in the left corner of the screen, then jumps to the middle, blinks again, disappears and throws me back into the BIOS.

I’m at a loss of what to do, this does not happen on my laptop which actually has a Linux and a Windows partition on a single disk.

This happened on GRUB2 as well as systemd-boot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• @FeelsBanjoMan said in Disappearing Bootloader:

rtl8192cu

We appear to be in the same boat. Are you able to install/boot from the LTS kernel?

• @d_K No, I don’t even get to GRUB/Systemd-boot, just stuck in UEFI.

disappears4 bootloader14 disappearing1 grub79 Posts 3Views 430