• Like 0

NVIDIA driver installation question

Hello guys,
    After a problem setting up my 980ti, I finally landed on this Youtube tutorial:
    [https://youtu.be/gXUqAcp_BFY](link url)

It all works fine. Very happy with my distro.
    However, my curiosity brought me to take a peek in the Wiki of this distro. I noticed that they suggest to install nvidia drivers through bumblebee.

My question is: what is suggested? Is there any real benefit going through the extra hassle?

Thinking about it, the video makes sense: install the driver, (I had to manually install the Xserver for nvidia) and setting it up not to clash with the standard, pre-installed drivers.

Any thought? Any clarification is very appreciated!

All the best!

• Like 0

@VincenzoNard said in NVIDIA driver installation question:

…my curiosity brought me to take a peek in the Wiki of this distro. I noticed that they suggest to install nvidia drivers through bumblebee.

It’s a wrong conclusion. The AnteWiki article is not about installing Nvidia drivers on any and all Nvidia cards. It’s about installing Bumblebee on Optimus cards. Bumblebee is not a video driver. Single-GPU Nvidia cards are not hybrid Optimus cards. Simply speaking, these are two completely different cards, one from another.

The guy in the video has GTX 760. It’s a single-GPU card - not hybrid, not Optimus.

My question is: what is suggested?

The video guide you mention works for simple, single-GPU Nvidias. If applied to Optimus, it will immediately break video config, making it impossible to start the X server.

I’m not familiar with the 980ti card, and the post doesn’t specify whether it’s an Optimus or not. Further assumptions are useless.

• Like 0

I am pretty sure my Zotac 980ti is a single core card.
    Thanks for the deep explanation. :)

• Like 0

You’re welcome. The explanation wasn’t neither deep nor detailed, but Optimus and Bumblebee details are interesting for hybrid Nvidia owners only, so they were omitted :smile: .

nvidia91 graphics driver5 Posts 4Views 307