• Results of failed installations

Right off, I want to make it clear I am not trying to spit blood at anyone. I really like the philosophy behind Antergos and I am wanting to use it on all of my machines. I am pretty frustrated at the moment, but I am not ready to give up, so please do not assume I am angry with anyone or anything.

If only it will allow me to do that…

To be sure, I am not a Linux guru, but I have been using various Linux distros for the last 7 years. Although this is my first attempt at using anything based on Arch. I’ve installed and used distros like Linux Mint, Linux Mint Debian Edition, Debian Sid, Debian Testing, Debian Stable, Fedora, openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, SimplyMEPIS, Mandriva, Tanglu and SolusOS. Yes, I’ve distro-hopped a lot, and have never really found anything other than Mint or SolusOS that would really keep me grounded. I like running Cinnamon, so I’ve never been far away from Mint. I was prepared to try Cinnarch, last year, but that was about the time you were abandoning Cinnamon, so I took a pass. Until a couple weeks ago, when I decided it was time to move to Antergos.

But trying to do that has been obstacles, piled atop frustration, piled atop aggravation, piled atop mystery.

I have an old Dell XPS410 that I use as a test machine, to see if a distro will suit me. It was running Linux Mint Debian Edition. I installed 32 bit Antergos/Cinnamon and was really impressed with everything I saw. Someone really needs congratulations for Cnchi, because it is clean and works a treat. After I installed Antergos, I could see it was worthy of becoming my distro of choice, until I ran into my first snag. I was unable to install Shutter, which is a must-have tool for me. I have a couple of machines where Shutter is never closed, because I use it that much.

I dropped the 32 bit DVD into a newer Dell XPS8100, which was running Linux Mint 16. The Live environment booted, but left me with no wired connection. I’ve had a handful of distros that were cantankerous about the wireless card in my laptop, but failure to see a wired connection?

Just for the record, lspci -v returns -

04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation Netlink BCM57780 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 01)  
    Subsystem: Dell Device 040d  
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 50  
    Memory at fbff0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]  
    Capabilities: <access denied\>  
    Kernel driver in use: tg3

I tried the 32 bit DVD in my Dell Inspiron 15R laptop, which was running SolusOS 2 Alpha 7. It booted in the Live environment, and immediately picked up on the wireless card and allowed me to log into the network. I plugged an Ethernet cord in and it also recognized that connection. I went ahead with a Cinnamon install and saw the same results - several Cinnamon Settings menus were blank.

I tried the 32 bit DVD in my iMac, which was running Linux Mint 16, and it will boot into the Live environment. It ‘sees’ the wired connection on that machine, as well. I did not try the wireless on that machine.

I gave up, at that point. I downloaded Manjaro Cinnamon, 32 bit, and it installed on the XPS410 with no problems. Ugly as the backside of a cow, but I was able to install Shutter, which Antergos could not accomplish. But Manjaro just does not have that certain ‘something’ Antergos has, so I knew it wasn’t going to be a keeper.

I decided I would try a 64 bit Cinnamon install on the XPS410, and it worked just fine, but several of the Cinnamon Settings menus were blank. I could not change themes, I could not install applets, I could not install desklets, etc. I could install Shutter, so that was a step in the right direction.

I tried the 64 bit DVD in the XPS8100, and it immediately hung, displaying the following error message -

ISOLINUX 6.02 ETCDisolinux: Disk error 01, AX = 4207 Drive EF

I tried the 64 bit DVD in my iMac and the installer would work for a bit and then stop at various points, on multiple attempts.

I then saw mention of the Testing .iso files, so I downloaded that in 64 bit.

Once again, I could install it on the XPS410, but the Cinnamon menus were still blank. I successfully installed a MATE version and did not care for it, at all. I finally went with a GNOME install, which went well. I’m not a big fan of GNOME, so I went ahead and added the Cinnamon desktop, figuring I could check it from time to time, to see if updates would get it working as intended. But I cannot seem to find a way to boot into Cinnamon. I’ve tried logging out and back in and I’ve tried restarting, and nowhere do I see an option to select Cinnamon, rather than GNOME.

I tried the 64 bit Testing DVD on my XPS8100 and it will boot into the Live environment, but it refuses to recognize the wired connection on that machine.

I tried the 64 bit Testing DVD on my iMac and it produces the same results. It starts loading and then stops at random points, on multiple attempts.

On my XPS410, I can live with the GNOME desktop, although I really would like to run Cinnamon. But the Cinnamon Settings menus are broken. And I am unable to log out of the GNOME desktop and into Cinnamon. Which is rather frustrating.

On my XPS8100, I cannot sort how to get my wired connection recognized. I tried some of the suggestions in the Arch wiki, but nothing worked for me. Out of curiosity, I pulled the Antergos DVD out and dropped in a Linux Mint Debian Edition DVD, which booted right up and has everything working. I then tried a Tanglu DVD and it boots right up, with everything working. But Antergos refuses to recognize the wired connection, which is more frustration.

On my iMac, I could live with a 32 bit install and GNOME, but that still leaves me wanting Cinnamon and without the ability to install Shutter. The iMac is my go-to machine, so trying to run it without Shutter just isn’t an option for me. More frustration.

I really do like Antergos. I really want to use Antergos, full-time. I really want to run Antergos, full-time, on all 4 of my machines. I’m not griping about how lousy Antergos is, I am saying it is really attractive and I want to use it. Now, all I need to know is what I need to do to start making that happen. I am wide open to any suggestions or solutions.

Anyone?

• Right off, I want to make it clear I am not trying to spit blood at anyone. I really like the philosophy behind Antergos and I am wanting to use it on all of my machines. I am pretty frustrated at the moment, but I am not ready to give up, so please do not assume I am angry with anyone or anything.

If only it will allow me to do that…

To be sure, I am not a Linux guru, but I have been using various Linux distros for the last 7 years. Although this is my first attempt at using anything based on Arch. I’ve installed and used distros like Linux Mint, Linux Mint Debian Edition, Debian Sid, Debian Testing, Debian Stable, Fedora, openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, SimplyMEPIS, Mandriva, Tanglu and SolusOS. Yes, I’ve distro-hopped a lot, and have never really found anything other than Mint or SolusOS that would really keep me grounded. I like running Cinnamon, so I’ve never been far away from Mint. I was prepared to try Cinnarch, last year, but that was about the time you were abandoning Cinnamon, so I took a pass. Until a couple weeks ago, when I decided it was time to move to Antergos.

But trying to do that has been obstacles, piled atop frustration, piled atop aggravation, piled atop mystery.

I have an old Dell XPS410 that I use as a test machine, to see if a distro will suit me. It was running Linux Mint Debian Edition. I installed 32 bit Antergos/Cinnamon and was really impressed with everything I saw. Someone really needs congratulations for Cnchi, because it is clean and works a treat. After I installed Antergos, I could see it was worthy of becoming my distro of choice, until I ran into my first snag. I was unable to install Shutter, which is a must-have tool for me. I have a couple of machines where Shutter is never closed, because I use it that much.

I dropped the 32 bit DVD into a newer Dell XPS8100, which was running Linux Mint 16. The Live environment booted, but left me with no wired connection. I’ve had a handful of distros that were cantankerous about the wireless card in my laptop, but failure to see a wired connection?

Just for the record, lspci -v returns -

04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation Netlink BCM57780 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 01)  
    Subsystem: Dell Device 040d  
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 50  
    Memory at fbff0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]  
    Capabilities: <access denied\>  
    Kernel driver in use: tg3

I tried the 32 bit DVD in my Dell Inspiron 15R laptop, which was running SolusOS 2 Alpha 7. It booted in the Live environment, and immediately picked up on the wireless card and allowed me to log into the network. I plugged an Ethernet cord in and it also recognized that connection. I went ahead with a Cinnamon install and saw the same results - several Cinnamon Settings menus were blank.

I tried the 32 bit DVD in my iMac, which was running Linux Mint 16, and it will boot into the Live environment. It ‘sees’ the wired connection on that machine, as well. I did not try the wireless on that machine.

I gave up, at that point. I downloaded Manjaro Cinnamon, 32 bit, and it installed on the XPS410 with no problems. Ugly as the backside of a cow, but I was able to install Shutter, which Antergos could not accomplish. But Manjaro just does not have that certain ‘something’ Antergos has, so I knew it wasn’t going to be a keeper.

I decided I would try a 64 bit Cinnamon install on the XPS410, and it worked just fine, but several of the Cinnamon Settings menus were blank. I could not change themes, I could not install applets, I could not install desklets, etc. I could install Shutter, so that was a step in the right direction.

I tried the 64 bit DVD in the XPS8100, and it immediately hung, displaying the following error message -

ISOLINUX 6.02 ETCDisolinux: Disk error 01, AX = 4207 Drive EF

I tried the 64 bit DVD in my iMac and the installer would work for a bit and then stop at various points, on multiple attempts.

I then saw mention of the Testing .iso files, so I downloaded that in 64 bit.

Once again, I could install it on the XPS410, but the Cinnamon menus were still blank. I successfully installed a MATE version and did not care for it, at all. I finally went with a GNOME install, which went well. I’m not a big fan of GNOME, so I went ahead and added the Cinnamon desktop, figuring I could check it from time to time, to see if updates would get it working as intended. But I cannot seem to find a way to boot into Cinnamon. I’ve tried logging out and back in and I’ve tried restarting, and nowhere do I see an option to select Cinnamon, rather than GNOME.

I tried the 64 bit Testing DVD on my XPS8100 and it will boot into the Live environment, but it refuses to recognize the wired connection on that machine.

I tried the 64 bit Testing DVD on my iMac and it produces the same results. It starts loading and then stops at random points, on multiple attempts.

On my XPS410, I can live with the GNOME desktop, although I really would like to run Cinnamon. But the Cinnamon Settings menus are broken. And I am unable to log out of the GNOME desktop and into Cinnamon. Which is rather frustrating.

On my XPS8100, I cannot sort how to get my wired connection recognized. I tried some of the suggestions in the Arch wiki, but nothing worked for me. Out of curiosity, I pulled the Antergos DVD out and dropped in a Linux Mint Debian Edition DVD, which booted right up and has everything working. I then tried a Tanglu DVD and it boots right up, with everything working. But Antergos refuses to recognize the wired connection, which is more frustration.

On my iMac, I could live with a 32 bit install and GNOME, but that still leaves me wanting Cinnamon and without the ability to install Shutter. The iMac is my go-to machine, so trying to run it without Shutter just isn’t an option for me. More frustration.

I really do like Antergos. I really want to use Antergos, full-time. I really want to run Antergos, full-time, on all 4 of my machines. I’m not griping about how lousy Antergos is, I am saying it is really attractive and I want to use it. Now, all I need to know is what I need to do to start making that happen. I am wide open to any suggestions or solutions.

Anyone?

• Hi,

I’m really sorry to hear that you’ve had such a hard time installing Antergos on your machines. I am more than happy to assist you in any way I can. Let’s jump right in…

@“Mike”:24n8lec8 said:

I was unable to install Shutter,[/quote:24n8lec8]What prevented you from installing Shutter? Were there any errors? I just installed it on my machine to try and see what the issue might be but the install went smoothly.

The Live environment booted, but left me with no wired connection. I’ve had a handful of distros that were cantankerous about the wireless card in my laptop, but failure to see a wired connection?[/quote:24n8lec8]When you have the time boot using the latest testing iso, unplug your ethernet cable, and run these commands:

sudo modprobe -r tg3  
    > > sudo modprobe broadcom  
    > > sudo modprobe tg3

Then plug your ethernet in and let me know if it works.

but several of the Cinnamon Settings menus were blank. I could not change themes, I could not install applets, I could not install desklets, etc.[/quote:24n8lec8]I haven’t seen this before with Cinnamon. If it happens again would you mind posting a couple screenshots. Also post your .xsession-errors and journal log (sudo journalctl -b)

Best Regards,
    Dustin

• Thanks for stepping up, Dustin. I appreciate the help.

When I was trying to install Shutter in 32 bit, PacmanXG would just keep looping 'round and 'round with attempting to build libxml-perl.

When I tried going with yaourt, I saw this error -

==\> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().  
    Aborting...  
    ==\> ERROR: Makepkg was unable to build libxml-perl.

When I got a 64 bit install up and running, Shutter installed without a hitch.

I will try your suggestion on my XPS8100 and see if that gets a connection going. And I will try to get some screenshots of the empty Cinnamon Settings menus, as well as data from the logs.

• Dustin, you are my newest hero!

The modprobe commands worked! There is one round I owe you.

I fired up my laptop and booted it. It rocked and rolled into the log-in screen, but that was where it ended. I could enter a bad password and it would let me know something was wrong, but if I entered the correct password, it would just come right back to the password prompt.

I edited GRUB, to invoke Bash and tried to re-set the password there, but it produced the same results.

So, figuring I needed to get you some screenshots and log data, I started from scratch and re-installed everything. When the process was complete, I booted straight in, with no problems and everything is working just fine, including all of the Cinnamon Settings menus! So that means I now owe you a second round.

And since Cinnamon is looking so fine on the laptop, it is now installing on the XPS8100. Don’t go counting your drinks before the cork has been pulled, but if that install works out, that will likely be a third round I will owe you. But only if you will explain what I will have to do on that machine, in order to get the modprobe commands to stick.

And, if you can help me sort how to get a 64-bit DVD to boot in this doggone iMac, I will owe you the entire bottle. Even if there is a way to get libxml-perl to build in 32 bit, I would pretty much settle for that.

Seriously, I do appreciate your help. This distro is simply too good to settle for going back to running Mint. Mint has been good to me, through the years, but it doesn’t hold a candle to Antergos. This is one time when being stubborn paid off, because I was not going to give up on trying to get Antergos running.

I drug my feet on submitting this for a few minutes, and I can now say that Cinnamon is working on the XPS8100! No, I didn’t just dance a jig. You didn’t see anything, there are no other witnesses, that’s my story and I am sticking to it.

If you get a chance, let me know about what I will need to do, to get the modprobe settings to stick on the XPS8100, and what I can do about getting this iMac knocked into shape. The iMac is my daily driver and it is time to trade Mint green for some Antergos blue.

• Ha! What a delight. Whilst installing Antergos, I just used the same partitions where Mint had been installed. I left the /home partition un-formatted, to carry over all the personal data.

I installed Firefox and Thunderbird and got ready to set up the e-mail accounts I monitor on that machine. And they were already there! Same with all the bookmarks in Firefox. That just saved me some time.

Most people don’t get this enthused about operating systems, but I own a few Web sites, so I spend a lot of (read: too much) time using my systems. And I am always pretty excited when I find something that works half as nicely as Antergos is now working. A big thank you to everyone involved with developing Antergos, because this one is a real winner.

• I am glad to see it’s good news (who doesn’t like good news, right?). I am in a slight rush so I’m going to answer what I think are the only 2 remaining issues (but if I read too fast and missed something let me know)…

Making the module settings persistent:

Edit /etc/mkinitcpio.conf Add this to the MODULES line:

broadcom tg3

Then regenerate your kernel init images with:

sudo mkinitcpio -p linux

You should be good to go after that

Shutter build failure:

I’ll need to see all of the output when trying to install shutter using:

yaourt -S shutter --noconfirm

Gotta run, I’ll check in later today…

CHEERS!

• Hey Dustin. You Helpinator

I just wanted to jump in because you said that you don’t know about the Cinnamon menu issue.
    I had the same problem with Cinnamon. It seems that the is a bug at Cinnamon itself.
    Broken theme/addons/plugins will also brake the windows trying to show them e.g. Themes window.
    Are there custom Antergos Themes or addons that the Antergos devs integrated to Cinnamon?

Here is a user of our forum with the exact same problem:
    [http://forum.antergos.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1570][0]">viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1570

It looks like this(random google picture):
    [http://i.imgur.com/T2uY2.png][0]">[http://i.imgur.com/T2uY2.png][1]

Look here:
    [http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=108748][0]">[http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=108748][2]
    and here
    [http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=208&t=106909&p=602721][0]">[http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p][3] … 9&p=602721

I then proceeded to unzip it and copy it to /usr/share/themes…

But you can see for yourself what happened when I then was going to choose the theme from Cinnamon settings… Removing the folder makes it possible to bring up the theme settings again in Cinnamon settings…

Usually when you have broken themes/applets/extensions, the corresponding pages are broken as well.

: <a href=
    [1]: http://i.imgur.com/T2uY2.png
    [2]: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=108748
    [3]: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p

Please give a feedback after you get help so the thread can be set to solved.

• Dustin, I made the file edits you suggested.

I don’t have a 32 bit installation of Antergos, at the moment. If there is no way to get my iMac to boot into the 4 bit Live environment, I will move forward with a 32 bit install on that machine. But I am going to be doing that on faith, because I really need that machine to have Shutter running on it.

b1n0ry, that image looks exactly like what I was seeing, previously. The only menus I can remember being blank were Themes, Applets and Desklets.

And here is an interesting issue I am now seeing on the Cinnamon panel. I tried installing a weather applet on the panel and the calendar/clock disappeared. And the weather applet did not appear. The applet settings page shows both are installed and are both active, but neither one appears.

I did some searching and it seems the weather applet might not be compatible with Cinnamon 2, so naught to be done but wait on that one.

The interesting one is the calendar applet. If I try to configure it, from the applets settings, nothing happens. If I remove it from the panel, I see the other icons closing in on themselves.

[img:19xa1ywu]http://mlepics.com/computer/linux/antergos/applet001.png[/img:19xa1ywu]

And the opposite occurs, when I try to add it to the panel.

[img:19xa1ywu]http://mlepics.com/computer/linux/antergos/applet002.png[/img:19xa1ywu]

See how that gap appears?

The applet is installing, but it doesn’t actually appear, nor can I configure it. I can click in that area and a menu opens, giving me the option to configure or remove the applet, but click on configure accomplishes naught.

[img:19xa1ywu]http://mlepics.com/computer/linux/antergos/applet003.png[/img:19xa1ywu]

I have to agree with b1n0ry, that something wonky is happening with Cinnamon.

• The notification area icon issue is sadly a WIDELY reported issue that has been around for at least a year. I must admit that it has gotten a lot better but its still buggy. I am sorry to say that I don’t expect things for Cinnamon on Arch to improve anytime soon. Now that the Mint devs have completely split Cinnamon away from GNOME they have no reason to maintain compatibility with the latest GTK+ versions (they are always at least two versions behind the latest in Mint). Maybe some other devs will step up and help in this area

For now this will help tremendously::

Cinnamon Settings\>\>Panel\>\>Use custom panel size\>\>Allow Cinnamon to scale icons/text\>\>Set any size that is not the default size

@“Mike”:2twfjb5w said:

If there is no way to get my iMac to boot into the 4 bit Live environment, [/quote:2twfjb5w]What happens when you try to boot?

Regarding the theme and blank menu issue, did this happen with the default configuration that you booted after install or did it occur only after trying to switch themes?

• GAK! This old keyboard has a dead 6 key. After ‘only’ 8 years, no less.

If I try to boot into the 64 bit Live environment, it takes off, as you might expect it to do, but then it will suddenly stop at some point. If you try it again, it will stop again, but generally it will stop at a different point.

The 32 bit DVD boots up without issues.

If you like, I can try booting it a few times and make some notes of where it stops loading. It will have to happen tomorrow, as I need to start getting ready to go to work. (Have I ever mentioned How badly it sucks to work nights?) Let me know if you want me to do that.

• Hmm…it’s like a puzzle

I can’t think of a reason why the installer would be failing on 64bit but not on 32bit. Hmph…If you could grab the contents of /tmp/cnchi.log after it fails that would be helpful. Also what generation iMac are we talking about here?]

Cheers!

• The iMac is a 20", mid-2007 model.

I am not sure how to get you the contents of that log. I think running cnchi -dv from the Live environment might work, but since I can never get booted into the Live environment…

I am trying to boot the Live environment and here is the information showing on the screen -

[ 3.264767] radeon 0000:01:00.0: Invalid ROM contents
    switch-root: old root filesystem is not an initramfs: Success
    [ OK ] Started LiveMedia Config Script.
    Starting Permit User Sessions. . .
    [ OK ] Started Permit User Sessions.
    Starting Light Display Manager
    [ OK ] Started Initializes Pacman keyring.
    [ OK ] Created slice system-systemd\X2dbacklight.slice.
    Starting Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:radeon_b10. . .
    [ OK ] Reached target Sound Card
    [ OK ] Started Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:radeon_b10.
    Starting Accounts Service. . .
    { ***] (2 of 5) A start job is running for Network Manager (1min6s / 1min 42s)[ 85.045925] b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file “b43/ucode11.fw” not found
    [ 85.045925] b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file “b43/ucode11.fw” not found
    [ 85.045925] b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to [http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware][0]">[http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Dri][1] … cefirmware and download the correct firmware for this driver version. Please carefully read all instructions on this website.
    [ OK ] Started LiveMedia Config Script
    Starting Permit User Sessions. . .
    [ OK ] Started Permit User Sessions.
    Starting Light Display Manager
    [ OK ] Started Initializes Pacman keyring.
    Starting Accounts Services
    [ OK ] Started Authorization Manager
    [ OK ] Started Accounts Service
    [ OK ] Started Light Display Manager
    [ OK ] Started Network Manager
    [ OK ] Reached target Network
    [ OK ] Started Modem Manager
    [ OK ] Reached target Multi-User System
    [ OK ] Reached target Graphical Interface

From there, everything winds to a stop.

Does that help?

[0]: <a href=
    [1]: http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Dri

• When you boot up the iso, in the boot menu where “start antergos live” is, there are boot parameters under the selection menu.
    add this to the end

b43.blacklist=yes

and then enter. I don’t know if this works this way but I am sure. See if it does boot.

By the way: How exactly does it stop? I had problems with all antergos installations. I could never boot up the system after installation. It seems to “stuck” but actually something was wrong with the graphics. I always had to change to tty2, remove nouveau, install nvidia and finally restart and reach my freshly installed system.
    Maybe your boot is also frozen but maybe your can change the tty? Try CTRL+ALT+F2 first.

• The iMac uses rEFIt, so I do not see the same boot menu as I normally would in Windows.

• You should replace it with refind then. I see no other way.

• Sorry for my absence. It’s been non-stop at work lately.

When the black text only boot screen shows up try pressing “e” That should allow you to edit the kernel command line. Add this to the end of whatever is there:

If it works, you will end up at a command prompt. Login as "root" (there wont be a password). From there you can try to simply continue the boot normally (this works for some systems) by entering:systemctl isolate graphical.target

If it still hangs try switching VT’s (Ctrl+Alt+F2). Hopefully it will let you switch so you can look at the logs. (They wouldnt be useful when viewed from multi-user mode and because this is a livecd they arent retained after reboot.)

journalctl -b

Press the “End” key on your keyboard and read from the bottom of the log upwards (any relevant errors will be near-ish to the bottom) Let me know how it goes.

Cheers!

• @“lots.0.logs”:2z1uwl03 said:

Sorry for my absence. It’s been non-stop at work lately.[/quote:2z1uwl03]
    No apology necessary, I appreciate all the help you’ve provided.

When the black text only boot screen shows up try pressing “e” That should allow you to edit the kernel command line. Add this to the end of whatever is there:

If it works, you will end up at a command prompt. Login as "root" (there wont be a password). From there you can try to simply continue the boot normally (this works for some systems) by entering:systemctl isolate graphical.target

I made it all the way to this point, then everything stalled. It went directly to a blank screen with a flashing cursor, the optical drive stopped and that was the end of it.

If it still hangs try switching VT’s (Ctrl+Alt+F2).

And that didn’t accomplish anything.

The iMac has Mint running on it, so I guess I will just stick with it for the time being. I booted up the Antergos 32 bit Live environment, with the intention of installing it and trying to get Shutter installed, but since the machine uses rEFIt, not having the ability to tell the installer where to install GRUB was the deal-breaker there. Since the iMac is my daily driver, I really wanted to get Antergos on it, but at least we gave it a solid try.

I installed the system with GNOME on one of my PCs, but then added the Cinnamon desktop files to that install. But I cannot seem to locate where to select Cinnamon, when booting and logging in. Where is that option selected?

• There must be a reason why Mint runs on your machine and Antergos does not.
    Maybe there are some modules you have to play with at booting.
    And maybe there’s something changed in the newer kernel that makes troubles. It could be something in 3.11 Kernel.

• @“b1n0ry”:2f5z45wb said:

There must be a reason why Mint runs on your machine and Antergos does not.
    Maybe there are some modules you have to play with at booting.
    And maybe there’s something changed in the newer kernel that makes troubles. It could be something in 3.11 Kernel.[/quote:2f5z45wb]
    I agree, there most certainly is a reason one will install and run without issue, whilst one will not.

But that brings us to one of the core issues in the ‘great debates’ about Linux use. Since I started running Linux, back in April 2007, I’ve been hearing how every subsequent year would be The Year Of The Linux Desktop. Which is bunk, every last bit of it. There will never be such a thing, because Linux is so diverse. And make no mistake about it, I think that is one of the most beautiful things about Linux. But when there are so many differences existing between all the flavors of Linux, those differences are going to manifest themselves in different ways. And this particular machine, with all the problems it has brought to the table, is an excellent example.

But another of the differences is the reasoning that has brought people to using Linux. Some people use Linux because it allows them to dig deeper into the actual nuts and bolts of their individual computer systems. Some people, like myself, use Linux because of the speed, the stability and the security Linux offers. Perhaps if I were more like the former, then I would be better-versed in working through the obstacles this machine has presented. Perhaps if this machine were more of a hobby machine, then I could use it as more of a learning machine. But when I have Web sites requiring daily care and maintenance, that has to be my focus, moreso than being able to roll up my sleeves and digging into things like why some Linux flavors will work just fine on this machine, when Antergos won’t.

I remember I once installed openSUSE on one of the machines, because people were speaking so highly about it. I got it all installed and then spent over two hours, trying to sort why my sound card was not being recognized. When I realized I was burning daylight and not really getting anywhere with it, I put a SolusOS DVD back in the machine, and in less than 15 minutes, I was ready to actually get back to using the machine, rather than having it using me. But even that represents a difference. In the couple hours I did have openSUSE running, I realized it really was not all the impressive to me. And after I wiped it off the machine, I never went back to it. With Antergos, I am thoroughly impressed, enough so that I fully intend to stick around, I intend to continue using it on my other machines and I intend to keep tracking its progress, in the hope that I might be able to ultimately use it on this machine.

Apologies for being long-winded…

And just so the question doesn’t get lost in the shuffle, can anyone tell me how I can opt into using Cinnamon, rather than GNOME, when booting one of my other machines?

Posts 30Views 4393