• Like 0

The autostart desktop icon doesn't work.

It is the content of my desktop icon, please help
    I put them in ~/.config/autostart/, it doesn’t work, but I can open them manually.

[Desktop Entry]
    Comment[zh_TW]=xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"
    Exec=xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"
    Icon=application-default-icon
    Name[zh_TW]=FullRangeRGB
    Type=Application

• Like 0

@s9209122222
    Hi!
    Which desktop are you using?
    Do you launch through terminal with gtk-launch FullRangeRGB or other command? I guess just clicking the file doesn’t work you will need to create a launcher for it (at least i can’t launch .desktop from /usr/share/applications directly)
    If you want to launch a command on startup you can launch through script also.

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• Like 0

@fernandomaroto It will work if I double click on it, but it won’t open at startup.

• Like 0

interesting, then i guess the desktop is already set as executable (unless you set the file manager to execute it)
    Just in case open a terminal in that folder and type chmod +x [the_name_of_your_desktop.desktop] (perhaps the command doesn’t need the file extesion…
    Then reboot and see if it’s launched on startup…

I3wm - Mate desktop
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

• Like 0

@fernandomaroto It doesn’t work, I still need to double click it.
    Would it be caused by the desktop environment? I am using Deeping Desktop Environment.

• Like 0

.desktop files do not need to be executable, except if you would want to lauch them by doublke-clicking, for example as launcher on the desktop.

• Try putting “evince” as the command: if evince launches upon the next login, then you know it is not an issue with the desktop file itself
    • Perhaps delaying the command somewhat may help: change the command to
    Exec=sh -c 'sleep 5 && xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"'```
    This will delay the command by 5 seconds (adjust as needed). That might be needed, because gnome shell might not like you are changing the xserver settings while it is starting up.
  • Like 0

@s9209122222 I don’t know… i never tried to launch a .desktop file from startup, i usually create a .sh script.
    Try to follow @antimony instructions and see if it works, if not i’d recommend using a script until you find the proper solution…

I3wm - Mate desktop
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

• Like 0

hi! i discoverd mate desktop need another line in the .desktop file, perhaps your desktop need it too, example:

[Desktop Entry]
    Type=Application
    Exec=/path/to/executable
    Hidden=false
    Name=Autostart example
    Comment=This file shows that the line below is needed for MATE to autostart an executable
    X-MATE-Autostart-enabled=true

I3wm - Mate desktop
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

• Like 0

There is indeed such a line for gnome-shell:
    X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true
    but there is no need to add it. When the line is there with “false”, it effectively will prevent the autostart.

autostart7 work4 icon22 Posts 9Views 273