• Gufw won't start - been like this for months

Lenovo Thinkpad X260 i7
    When running gufw from gnome gui it asks for password and nothing happens.
    When ran via terminal this is the output:

Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyUnable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused
    Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyUnable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused

(gufw.py:1718): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_keymap_get_for_display: assertion 'GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed

(gufw.py:1718): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_keymap_get_modifier_mask: assertion 'GDK_IS_KEYMAP (keymap)' failed

(gufw.py:1718): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_keymap_get_for_display: assertion 'GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
    (gufw.py:1718): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_keymap_get_modifier_mask: assertion 'GDK_IS_KEYMAP (keymap)' failed

(gufw.py:1718): Gtk-CRITICAL **: _gtk_replace_virtual_modifiers: assertion 'GDK_IS_KEYMAP (keymap)' failed
    /usr/bin/gufw-pkexec: line 13:  1718 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) python3 ${LOCATIONS[${i}]} $1

A word on fix would be welcome.

• Anyone? Firewall Configuration (gufw) won’t start.

• Hi @gozo ,

I cannot reproduce it here. How did you install gufw? Are you running it with your user?

It’s obvious it’s crashing, but I don’t know why.

Have you tried to remove it and reinstall it?

sudo pacman -Rnsc gufw
    sudo pacman -S gufw

Did you install it using pip or pip2? Then you should remove it and reinstall it with pacman.

Check that you have this file:
    /usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/gufw/gufw.py

I don’t have more ideas… sorry.

• HI @karasu,

I did not install Gufw myself, it came with Antergos under name Firewall Configuration.
    I not, as per your instructions, uninstalled it and installed again, 3.7 megs install, all completed flawlessly.

However, still, when I click icon Firewall Configuration or try running gufw from terminal, it asks for root password and does nothing. In other words - breaks. This is a native machine, not virtual.

Anyone?

Thanks.

• @gozo

/usr/bin/gufw-pkexec: line 13:  1718 Segmentation fault

Line 13 is the end of the skript… so may it is caused by a dependency?
    I would try what karasu say uninstall it with

pacman -Rsn gufw

and remove the rest:

rm -R /etc/gufw
    rm -R /root/.cache/gufw.py

then reboot and reinstall

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    http://gofccyourself.com
    my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad Tried it, does not work. Here is the last few error lines:

(gufw.py:1415😞 Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_keymap_get_for_display: assertion ‘GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)’ failed

(gufw.py:1415😞 Gtk-CRITICAL **: _gtk_replace_virtual_modifiers: assertion ‘GDK_IS_KEYMAP (keymap)’ failed

(gufw.py:1415😞 Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_keymap_get_for_display: assertion ‘GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)’ failed

(gufw.py:1415😞 Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_keymap_get_modifier_mask: assertion ‘GDK_IS_KEYMAP (keymap)’ failed

(gufw.py:1415😞 Gtk-CRITICAL **: _gtk_replace_virtual_modifiers: assertion ‘GDK_IS_KEYMAP (keymap)’ failed
    /usr/bin/gufw-pkexec: line 13: 1415 Segmentation fault (core dumped) python3 ${LOCATIONS[${i}]} $1

Stupid problem…

• can you try to use another theme?

my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• I tried, ARC and Numix Frost - not working.

Interesting thing is - when I try from a virtual machine, using VirtualBox, Antergos Mate has the same issue.

• Still having the same issue.

• Hi,

Interesting thing is - when I try from a virtual machine, using VirtualBox, Antergos Mate has the same issue.

Then I’ll try this in a clean system in order to reproduce it. Did you install gufw using the installer?

• i will try now in virtual with gnome…
    Bild Text
    Bild Text

So no problem here

my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• Maybe you can find some helpful info here? : https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/52599

• Thank you Dazzled. It’s good to know gufw team knows about it, and someone is working on it.

• reading thru the bug report they come up with this typical wayland problem on “root apps can not start”

@gozo plz type this in a terminal:

echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE

if it shows wayland you need to do that:

xhost si:localuser:root

to allow root to start graphical-app under wayland session owned by your user…

Source: gparted
    gparted wants to run as root. Before starting it, allow root user to display applications on your desktop by typing the following in a command line

my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad thank you. Issue solved by typing in your suggested two commands.

• @joekamprad Hi. I have the same problem and errors like topic creator but i use X11. Plz help. xhost si:localuser:root dont work.

gnome260 gufw4 thinkpad x2601 Posts 16Views 2151
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.