• New install - a few minor problems...

Just installed Antergos with Xfce. I’ve been using Arch for quite a while, so I’m reasonably familiar with things.

I’m seeing a few problems. First, avahai is failing on startup. Checking the system journal, I’m seeing this:

Feb 14 18:32:54 altair systemd[1]: avahi-daemon.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=255/n/a
    Feb 14 18:32:54 altair systemd[1]: Failed to start Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Stack.
    Feb 14 18:32:54 altair systemd[1]: avahi-daemon.service: Unit entered failed state.
    Feb 14 18:32:54 altair systemd[1]: avahi-daemon.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

-- Unit avahi-daemon.service has begun starting up.
    Feb 14 17:26:35 altair avahi-daemon[4461]: Failed to find user 'avahi'.
    Feb 14 17:26:35 altair systemd[1]: avahi-daemon.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=255/n/a
    Feb 14 17:26:35 altair systemd[1]: Failed to start Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Stack.
    -- Subject: Unit avahi-daemon.service has failed
    -- Defined-By: systemd ```

Looking through /etc/shadow, there is no sign of an avahi user. I’ve checked an older Arch install and it has an avahi user with a UID of 84. I’ve not yet tried adding an avahi user - is this a known problem?

I’m also seeing an odd problem with accessing Samba shares through Thunar. The first time I click on “Browse Network”, nothing happens. After a little while, I get “Failed to open “/” Timeout reached”. However, a second attempt to browse the network usually works and I’m able to open a Samba share on my server (kept mainly for testing…). Looking though the journal, I’m seeing some other odd errors:

Feb 14 17:26:45 altair gvfsd-network[4494]: Couldn't create directory monitor on smb://x-gnome-default-workgroup/. Error: Operation not supported by backend
    Feb 14 17:27:00 altair gvfsd-network[4436]: Couldn't create directory monitor on dns-sd://local/. Error: Timeout was reached
    Feb 14 17:27:00 altair dbus[363]: system] Failed to activate service 'org.freedesktop.Avahi': timed out
    Feb 14 17:27:10 altair gvfsd[557]: mkdir failed on directory /var/cache/samba: Permission denied
    Feb 14 17:27:10 altair gvfsd[557]: mkdir failed on directory /var/cache/samba: Permission denied

Any suggestions?

• systemd-avahi-daemon-failed

Install a new Antergos today and have the same avahi failure…

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    http://kamprad.net/howto-installing-antergos/
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/1883/how-to-include-system-logs-when-asking-for-help

• @joekamprad

Looks like a bug in the installer. I’ve fixed the problem manually, which also fixes the problem I was seeing with Thunar accessing samba shares.

In order to fix the problem, I manually created the avahi group and user, using the UID and GID that I found in my Arch install:

sudo groupadd -r -g 84 avahi
    sudo useradd -r -u 84 -g avahi -d / -s /bin/nologin -c avahi avahi

No idea why the user and group weren’t created during the install, but that will at least get things working properly.

• I might be wrong, but imho this should be created by the package, not the installer.

Anyway, I’ll modify Cnchi asap to create that user and group.

Thanks!

• It does for initial setup-install:

avahi.install

post_install() {
      if ! getent passwd avahi &>/dev/null; then
        groupadd -r -g 84 avahi
        useradd -r -u 84 -g avahi -d / -s /bin/nologin -c avahi avahi
      fi
    }

post_upgrade() {
      if (( $(vercmp $2 0.6.32rc-1) < 0 )); then
        cat <<MSG
    >>> Avahi now needs to be enabled in order to launch.
        Run \`systemctl enable avahi-daemon\` if you wish
        to make use of Avahi.
    MSG
      fi
    }

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    http://kamprad.net/howto-installing-antergos/
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/1883/how-to-include-system-logs-when-asking-for-help

• @karasu said in New install - a few minor problems...:

I might be wrong, but imho this should be created by the package, not the installer.

Anyway, I’ll modify Cnchi asap to create that user and group.

Thanks!

Sorry, badly phrased. You’re quite correct, the package install should have fixed it. Looking at the .INSTALL in the package shows it checks for the user and group and creates them if needed. So its strange that it didn’t happen during the install.

problems5 minor1 Posts 6Views 517