• Like 0

Unable to log in with LightDM after Gnome session freezed

Gnome session hanged (I think because of LibreOffice issue), I could change virtual desktops, but could not interact with any running applications, they did not react on any mouse clicks or keyboard. Finally I could start a gnome-terminal (I set up keyboard shortcut previously for start it), and I rebooted my laptop (Hp EliteBook).
    After reboot, the LightDM greeting appeared as usual, with my user name and password field. I entered my password, the screen faded to black as usual, but the login screen came back again! I can not log in! Please help!

• Like 0

I changed from LDM to GDM as described in another thread here, and I could log in using GDM, but only witg “GNOME on Xorg” or “Classic GNOME” sessions. When I selected the normal GNOME option, my system hanged totally. No tty terminals also. Stoned. How can I restore my Antergos?

• Like 0

@meander said

How can I restore my Antergos?

Hi! You can t really say “restore my Antergos” just because you changed a DM, can you? :innocent:
    As to your question, taking this

I could log in using GDM, but only witg “GNOME on Xorg” or “Classic GNOME” sessions. When I selected the normal GNOME option, my system hanged totally. No tty terminals also

and this

After reboot, the LightDM greeting appeared as usual, with my user name and password field. I entered my password, the screen faded to black as usual, but the login screen came back again!

into account, I believe your issue is because Gnome runs Wayland session by default, but your system is not able to.
    I suggest you try lightDM again (you know how to as I read) and do exactly as you did with GDM, Select “Gnome on Xorg” before you type your password.
    The above is valid of course if you know that before the problem you were running Wayland and not X11.
    Also:

No tty terminals also.

In GDM, the keyboard combination is not CTRL+ALT+F2. For me it was CTRL+ALT+F3, instead. Did you try other F keys?

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.04 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• Like 0

Thank You! Of course I know how to change to another tty with F keys. The problem is with LightDM, I can restore it with sudo systemctl enable lightdm.service, but my problem is simply the LightDM greeting can not load Gnome. I tried Classic Gnome, Gnome (Wayland), Gnome on Xorg, its the same. No error message, only after I typed in my pwd and pressed Enter, the screen fade to black (as normally when it loads Gnome), and fade back into the LightDM login screen again.
    Because I am using my laptop already about half year with Antergos and default Gnome Wayland, I think it’s not a Wayland problem.

gnome158 session7 unable21 lightdm71 Posts 4Views 182