• Brave Browser issue with Antergos package

Brave do not start after last update:

╭─[email protected] ~  
    ╰─➤  brave
    [1580:1580:0211/133217:FATAL:zygote_host_impl_linux.cc(107)] No usable sandbox! Update your kernel or see https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/docs/linux_suid_sandbox_development.md for more information on developing with the SUID sandbox. If you want to live dangerously and need an immediate workaround, you can try using --no-sandbox.
    [1]    1580 abort (core dumped)  brave

brave --no-sandbox

works

And brave-git from AUR works too

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad I’m having the same problem with Brave—installed from the repos not AUR.
    Is it safe to run it with no sandbox?

• As it says “No usable sandbox!” and “If you want to live dangerously” Seems not to be a good idea…
    As far as i understand sanbox is used for security reason, like a firewall…
    "The sandbox is a C++ library that allows the creation of sandboxed processes — processes that execute within a very restrictive environment. The only resources sandboxed processes can freely use are CPU cycles and memory. For example, sandboxes processes cannot write to disk or display their own windows. What exactly they can do is controlled by an explicit policy. Chromium renderers are sandboxed processes. "
    https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=598454

For newer Kernels seems that another sandbox will be used: User namespaces sandbox instead of the Linux SUID Sandbox

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad I understand that without sandboxing a great deal of security is lost. I’ve read your bug link as well as the link that @judd posted. This bumps up against my technical know how.
    I was using Brave regularly until this problem arose. It is now effectively a useless browser.
    Is there a way to hack a solution? Should this be a bug filed against Brave?

• Yea i do not get it also what the problem is…

You can install brave-git from AUR also brave-bin both are working.

I post the issue because the brave package is from Antergos Repo.

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad Thanks, I was thinking of posting to the Brave forum.
    Before I install Brave from AUR, I need to completely remove the current version.

• no if you go for brave-bin it is the same version like this from Antergos, ask you for deinstalling brave while installing it self…

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad OK, Thanks for your help!

• BUG:
    https://github.com/Antergos/antergos-packages/issues/164

The reason for this is due to the fact that user namespace features are not compiled into Arch’s default kernel. Without this the Chromium sandbox needs to be SUID to root in order to setup a suitable secure environment.

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

browser28 brave3 Posts 10Views 952