• Antergos experience so far (questions and bugs)

Someone on irc mentioned I should make a post in the forums, so here I am – making this post. This is my first actual install on Antergos, pushed on by Chris Were’s latest youtube video on the subject. I’m on XFCE – the DE I find that has the least amount of problems.:laughing: :pensive:

Here’s a few issues solved right off the bat:

• the annoying pc motherboard speaker can be silenced by:
    sudo su
    echo "blacklist pcspkr" > /etc/modprobe.d/nobeep.conf
    exit
    reboot

Honestly like I said with the guy in irc, I have no idea why the pc speaker is enabled by default and why it’s making beeping noises when I…delete a file, for example. Really unnecessary. The only reason why I have it in the first place is so I can diagnose any potential bios trouble codes that might arise in the future. The guy in irc said it’s not supported to enabled with uefi, but it’s still beeping on z87 and x58 chipsets.

• qt4 wasn’t installed by default with xfce (via the minimal iso.) That means apps like vlc will not load until qt4 is installed.

• my conky config finally worked by installing “conky-lua-nv” from the AUR. Terminal said things about cairo errors, but the “regular” conky version in repo “extra” has a cairo dependency…so I have no idea. The temp sensors can be had by also installing “lm_sensors” in the regular repo.

Question time:

• Since there’s no such thing as /var/log/syslog in Arch, what’s the next best thing to conglomerate and then tail off of to get a quick “system status view” in my conky config?

• Even though I specified my correct timezone during the installer, the time still defaulted to UTC after installation (and yes, while connected to the internet.) So, I followed these instructions thinking this is a recent bug and that fixed the issue…until the next boot and now the system thinks that “my local time” == actual UTC and that “UTC” == my local timezone UTC offset. Yeah…help?:neutral_face:

• qt4 wasn’t installed by default with xfce (via the minimal iso.) That means apps like vlc will not load until qt4 is installed.

Reasonable considering neither xfce nor vlc require qt4, vlc has it as an optional dependency for its gui, this means you do need to install it yourself.

• my conky config finally worked by installing “conky-lua-nv” from the AUR. Terminal said things about cairo errors, but the “regular” conky version in repo “extra” has a cairo dependency…so I have no idea. The temp sensors can be had by also installing “lm_sensors” in the regular repo.

I don’t use conky, but my ultra quick test Extra/conky “works for me”, maybe your config has features not supported by default, but I’m guessing here.

• Since there’s no such thing as /var/log/syslog in Arch, what’s the next best thing to conglomerate and then tail off of to get a quick “system status view” in my conky config?

Try something like this, ‘10’ is the number of lines printed

${exec journalctl -n 10}

• Even though I specified my correct timezone during the installer, the time still defaulted to UTC after installation (and yes, while connected to the internet.) So, I followed these instructions thinking this is a recent bug and that fixed the issue…until the next boot and now the system thinks that “my local time” == actual UTC and that “UTC” == my local timezone UTC offset. Yeah…help?:neutral_face:

/etc/localtime should be a symlink to /usr/share/zonefinfo/<TimeZone> use

timedatectl list-timezones
    timedatectl set-timezone

will allow changing of the timezone settings, the man page explains all the timedatectl commands.

timedatectl list-local-rtc false

Will set the RTC to UTC, which is the recommended default.

Hope this helps a bit.

• @ial said in Antergos experience so far (questions and bugs):

Try something like this, ‘10’ is the number of lines printed

${exec journalctl -n 10}

Thanks for the tips, is this essentially just systemd activities? Any way to incorporate things like network status, smart hdd errors, anything else worth knowing about? In mine I had an execi 3 second interval for a short time delay so as to be able to read fast-moving logs.

timedatectl list-local-rtc false

I found out my bios clock was off for some reason and changed that first. And actually instead, I used

sudo timedatectl set-local-rtc 0

and that appeared to finally solve the issue.

Some other items worth mentioning appear to be affecting other distros, including Antergos:

• the numlock key isn’t activated during the cyptsetup unlock screen. the led indicator on the key itself apparently is not functional in this stage – but toggling will produce number characters – you just won’t know the toggle because the led is malfunctioning. i tested this with 2 keyboards on 2 different systems. I know Mint is affacted and I can’t remember if ubuntu mate is affected as well.
    • The “data choices” page in firefox is still blank. appears to be related to this longstanding issue. what works for me (since I have so many bloody customizations in firefox), is simply copy and pasting all items from a previous profile and that appears to bring in the “disabling” of telemetry/spyware options, as confirmed by about:telemetry. Can anyone confirm?

• Not tested with other distros: apparently using gksu with mousepad to edit the smb config file in /etc/samba/ really blew up things. Did i do a “no-no”?

1 other “recommendation question” coming from Mint…I like “mousepad” but really miss the highlighting code options in xed. Any good recommendations for text editors focusing in on editing basic code/config files in mind?

• Hey there, coming from Mint myself. I love Mint a lot and still want to hang onto it, but I’m at a point where I know enough not to break shit - or rather, I know how to fix shit after I’ve broken it - and need some of that rolling release crack to get a fix now. Stable is really nice, Debian is nice, but no matter what you do you are going to run into outdated libraries or unresolvable dependencies because they need to fix a bug that caused some people in China to get an error message. That and, lets get real here, Debian’s definition of “stable” means you could put a 100 monkeys in front of 100 Stable Jesse keyboards for a week and they wouldn’t be able to produce a crash worth rebooting over. I’m so far off track now and starting to rant…stable is just so boring. Not all Linux nerds hate surprises.

What I actually wanted to say is Gedit is what you’re looking for. Xed is essentially a stripped-down version of Gedit and both have nearly identical interfaces and functionality. I don’t know for certain how Arch repos install Gedit, but I know in Mint the “code coloring and format” plugin was a separate download with the plugin package. Xed also borrows interface ideas from Sublime though, which is a real code editor, so there could be a few things Xed has now that Gedit doesn’t, but nothing major.

• It seems to me that Arch is hasting kernel updates. The system is showing weird behaviour since 4.6 i guess.
    I noticed the num lock problem yesterday…
    Without messing up with my config files/system, i faced problems with middle click emulation, clock, num lock, can’t add printers…

Thanks, my clock was fixed with the commands from my thread (it just need login and wait a few seconds for the system to fix it - fix the clock every boot) I’ll check yours later.

I’m not a programer and see no big difference betwen gedit/pluma/xed, i guess you can try them and see what fits your needs.

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @d_K said in Antergos experience so far (questions and bugs):

1 other “recommendation question” coming from Mint…I like “mousepad” but really miss the highlighting code options in xed. Any good recommendations for text editors focusing in on editing basic code/config files in mind?

I see that Mousepad now has this functionality in xfce – which is nice because I much prefer mousepad’s gui over gedit. However, upon saving a config file, the code highlighting reverts back to default…hopefully the xfce devs can fix this?

help15 help wanted2 Posts 6Views 847