• How to remove driver nouveau?

Hi, I’ve been reading and looking for information for many hours but I have not found anything.

I installed bumbleed on my laptop and it works perfect. I have uninstalled the nouveau drivers but when I run inxi they appear to me.

$ Inxi -Gxx
    Graphics: Card-1: Intel HD Graphics 520 bus-ID: 00: 02.0 chip-ID: 8086: 1916
                      Card-2: NVIDIA GK208M [GeForce 920M]
                      Bus-ID: 01: 00.0 chip-ID: 10de: 1299
                      Display Server: X.Org 1.19.1 drivers: nouveau, intel (unloaded: modesetting, fbdev, vesa)
                     Resolution: [email protected]
                    GLX Renderer: DRI Intel HD Graphics Table 520 (Skylake GT2)
                   GLX Version: 3.0 Table 13.0.4 Direct Rendering: Yes

In the file /etc/mkinitcpio.conf I do not have the module nouvea.

I have changed in the file /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau.conf and I have set modeset = 0

I’ve also rerun sudo mkinitcpio -p linux and sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

The nouveau driver is not loaded but it still appears to me when running inxi -Gxx

How can I remove it?
    Thanks

• It looks rather unusual. Without xf86-video-nouveau, inxi doesn’t mention nouveau here.

Running on Intel GPU:

┌──[just]@[alexarm]:~$
    └─> inxi -Gxxc0
    Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
               bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0126
               Card-2: NVIDIA GF106M [GeForce GT 555M] bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:0dcd
               Display Server: X.Org 1.19.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: modesetting) Resolution: [email protected]
               GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.4 Direct Rendering: Yes
    └─>

Running on Nvidia GPU:

└─> optirun inxi -Gxxc0
    Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
               bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0126
               Card-2: NVIDIA GF106M [GeForce GT 555M] bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:0dcd
               Display Server: X.Org 1.19.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: modesetting) Resolution: [email protected]
               GLX Renderer: GeForce GT 555M/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 375.26 Direct Rendering: Yes
    └─>

• Thanks for answering.
    I do not understand it either,

$ pacman -Qi xf86-video-nouveau
    error: el paquete «xf86-video-nouveau» no se ha encontrado

• @trasgo @trasgo Yes, it means that xf86-video-nouveau package is not installed.

Nevertheless, try to boot with one more parameter, leaving all others unchanged:

modprobe.blacklist=nouveau

It doesn’t harm in any case, even if nouveau is not present. I always add it to Grub on all Optimus computers, to get rid of nouveau nightmare and forget it forever.

• @trasgo

As far as I know the nouveau driver is inside the kernel (Linux) if I recall correctly they merged since 2012, the package xf86-video-nouveau it’s only a “translation layer” to work with Xserver.

You still can blacklist nouveau if isn’t already done.

Anyway you can test if it’s really working with inxi -Gxxc0 for your intel chip and optirun inxi -Gxxc0 for your nvidia chip as @just posted above.

• @just @Edwin-Foss
    I have modified the file /etc/default/grub and added GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT = "modprobe.blacklist=nouveau quiet"
    I have regenerated GRUB
    Optirun works but loads the nouveau driver

[[email protected] ~]$ optirun inxi -Gxxc0 
    Graphics:  Card-1: Intel HD Graphics 520 bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:1916
               bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:1299
               Display Server: X.Org 1.19.1 drivers: nouveau,intel (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
               GLX Renderer: GeForce 920M/PCIe/SSE2
               GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 375.26 Direct Rendering: Yes

• @trasgo said in How to remove driver nouveau?:

@just @Edwin-Foss
    I have modified the file /etc/default/grub and added GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT = "modprobe.blacklist = nouveau quiet"

One or more consecutive space(s) are used by Grub as parameter delimiters. There are two spaces in your command - before and after the equal sign. Grub just silently ignores it.

The correct command line for Grub 2 may be:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT = "modprobe.blacklist=nouveau quiet"

• @just said in How to remove driver nouveau?:

@trasgo said in How to remove driver nouveau?:

@just @Edwin-Foss
    I have modified the file /etc/default/grub and added GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT = "modprobe.blacklist = nouveau quiet"

One or more consecutive space(s) are used by Grub as parameter delimiters. There are two spaces in your command - before and after the equal sign. Grub just silently ignores it.

Sorry, it was a mistake to write it
    In the file is well written

Could you show the parameters you’re booting Linux with?

cat /proc/cmdline

• @just said in How to remove driver nouveau?:

@trasgo said in How to remove driver nouveau?:

Could you show the parameters you’re booting Linux with?

cat /proc/cmdline

At the end I have reinstalled from 0, I have added modprobe.blacklist = nouveau in the livecd and in the first boot.
    Then uninstall the nouveau drivers and re-performed the steps above and now if everything is correct.

$ optirun inxi -Gxxc0 
    Graphics:  Card-1: Intel HD Graphics 520 bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:1916
               bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:1299
               Display Server: X.Org 1.19.1 drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
               GLX Renderer: GeForce 920M/PCIe/SSE2
               GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 375.26 Direct Rendering: Yes

Thank you for your help.

• @trasgo @just

I prefer to blacklist nouveau with a file in /usr/lib/modprobe.d/ or /etc/modprobe.d/ called nvidia.conf with the line blacklist nouveau as many distros script does.

Also there is another way to blacklist in grub cmdline which is nouveau.blacklist=1 or nouveau.blacklist=yes, since when they changed I don’t know but looks better and more direct.

• @Edwin-Foss said in How to remove driver nouveau?:

@trasgo @just

I prefer to blacklist nouveau with a file in /usr/lib/modprobe.d/ or /etc/modprobe.d/ called nvidia.conf with the line blacklist nouveau as many distros script does.

Yes, this is perfectly correct.

Also there is another way to blacklist in grub cmdline which is nouveau.blacklist=1 or nouveau.blacklist=yes, since when they changed I don’t know but looks better and more direct.

This is correct too. Linux allows to get the same result in many different ways.

…now if everything is correct…

That’s really great - I was installing Antergos once more, to make various clean tests.

I’ll mark the topic as [Solved], if you agree.

• Guys, always remember to check /etc/mkinitcpio.conf … in case there is a MODULES="nouveau" there. (I don’t know if this was the op problem or not, but it’s always wise to check it).

Cheers!

• Thanks for the help and advice, it was already marked as solved, thank you.

nouveau13 remove15 driver35 Posts 15Views 1075