• Compiz Effects - Possible in Antergos?

Hey Guys,

I use to run Ubuntu and Linux Mint primarily as my distros 4-5 years ago. At that time, I was big on compiz (cube effect, wobbly windows, etc.). Now, I know probably a lot of those effects don’t work anymore, but is it possible to still get some of the basic ones like wobbly windows working?

I know silly question, but I miss some of those effects! =)

Thanks,
    Asif

• @a4orce84 yes you can install compiz from the AUR. Highly recommended reading material: Arch Compiz Wiki

You must choose wether you want the 0.9 or 0.8 version. Both are continued to be developed. I am using Compiz-Manjaro since it comes preconfigured for XFCE.

• Thanks @spinvis! What effects or features are you currently utilizing compiz for?

Thanks,
    Asif

• Compiz works with Mate Gtk2, installed from the [community] repo. It is not installed in Antergos by default.

┌──[just]@[alexarm]:~$
    └─> pacman -Q mate-desktop gtk2 compiz
    mate-desktop 1.16.1-1
    gtk2 2.24.31-1
    compiz 0.9.13.1-1

mate-about

desktop-cube

Compiz does not work with Mate Gtk3, installed either from the default [antergos] or from the [community] repos.

• @a4orce84 I primarily use it to get rid of tearing in XFCE. I only have the Cube effect enabled.

• @a4orce84 I use Compiz for the same reason - to avoid screen tearing with marco, the default window manager in Mate. All Compiz effects are enabled and work flawlessly. Eye-candy without limits.

• If you use Plasma5, kwin will offer you a lot of effects that also can be found in compiz, wobbly windws , the cube and many many more.
    J.

• What are my options if I am using Gnome desktop environment?

• There is no way to replace the window manager in Gnome3, so you have exactly no option at all.
    J.

• @Jeannie____ said in Compiz Effects - Possible in Antergos?:

If you use Plasma5, kwin will offer you a lot of effects that also can be found in compiz, wobbly windws , the cube and many … more.
    J.

Well said. KWin vs. Compiz.

Antergos 17.1 Kde = Plasma5:

Antergos-17.1-Kde_Plasms5

• So, to be clear, I cannot use KWin in Gnome3? Lame!

Thanks,
    Asif

• KWin is the default window manager in Kde 4 and Plasma 5.

Mutter is the default window manager in Gnome 3.

It is probably easier to use Plasma directly, than try to replace Mutter by KWin in Gnome.

• It is impossible to replace Mutter in Gnome 3.
    J.

effects4 compiz2 Posts 13Views 1350