• Compiz Effects - Possible in Antergos?

Hey Guys,

I use to run Ubuntu and Linux Mint primarily as my distros 4-5 years ago. At that time, I was big on compiz (cube effect, wobbly windows, etc.). Now, I know probably a lot of those effects don’t work anymore, but is it possible to still get some of the basic ones like wobbly windows working?

I know silly question, but I miss some of those effects! =)

Thanks,
    Asif

• @a4orce84 yes you can install compiz from the AUR. Highly recommended reading material: Arch Compiz Wiki

You must choose wether you want the 0.9 or 0.8 version. Both are continued to be developed. I am using Compiz-Manjaro since it comes preconfigured for XFCE.

• Thanks @spinvis! What effects or features are you currently utilizing compiz for?

Thanks,
    Asif

• Compiz works with Mate Gtk2, installed from the [community] repo. It is not installed in Antergos by default.

┌──[just]@[alexarm]:~$
    └─> pacman -Q mate-desktop gtk2 compiz
    mate-desktop 1.16.1-1
    gtk2 2.24.31-1
    compiz 0.9.13.1-1

mate-about

desktop-cube

Compiz does not work with Mate Gtk3, installed either from the default [antergos] or from the [community] repos.

• @a4orce84 I primarily use it to get rid of tearing in XFCE. I only have the Cube effect enabled.

• @a4orce84 I use Compiz for the same reason - to avoid screen tearing with marco, the default window manager in Mate. All Compiz effects are enabled and work flawlessly. Eye-candy without limits.

• If you use Plasma5, kwin will offer you a lot of effects that also can be found in compiz, wobbly windws , the cube and many many more.
    J.

• What are my options if I am using Gnome desktop environment?

• There is no way to replace the window manager in Gnome3, so you have exactly no option at all.
    J.

• @Jeannie____ said in Compiz Effects - Possible in Antergos?:

If you use Plasma5, kwin will offer you a lot of effects that also can be found in compiz, wobbly windws , the cube and many … more.
    J.

Well said. KWin vs. Compiz.

Antergos 17.1 Kde = Plasma5:

Antergos-17.1-Kde_Plasms5

• So, to be clear, I cannot use KWin in Gnome3? Lame!

Thanks,
    Asif

• KWin is the default window manager in Kde 4 and Plasma 5.

Mutter is the default window manager in Gnome 3.

It is probably easier to use Plasma directly, than try to replace Mutter by KWin in Gnome.

• It is impossible to replace Mutter in Gnome 3.
    J.

effects5 compiz3 Posts 13Views 4248
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.