• Antergos Base + i3

I’m completely inexperienced with Linux in general and all I can really do is install Antergos and have done so before with Xfce. However, after trying out i3-wm, I really liked it and thought I’d like to do a reinstall of Antergos with the Base installation which then I’d install i3-wm from. But I’m not sure how to go about this. When I was still using AntergosXfce, to install i3 all I did was install i3-wm in Pamac and it simply worked when I selected it at login. However, I imagine it might be a different story when I want to install i3-wm onto the Base install of Antergos. I’d have to setup something additionally so that my laptop autologins with i3 right? I’m not sure, which is why I’m here.

If there’s anyone who can help me with this, I’d appreciate it.

• first you can get info here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/I3
    But if you install only base system you have to install it from commandline.
    And you do not have any packages installed for running a x-server…

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• @joekamprad

" And you do not have any paclkageses installed for running a x-server…"

Sorry, I don’t understand the implications of this.

• Base System install is “headless” without X means you will only have a commandline to install your system

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• @joekamprad

So should I first install X before installing i3? I don’t know, so I ask here if anyone can assist me in going through with this.

• You can install xorg along with i3.

I’d recommend this:
    https://github.com/erikdubois/AntergosI3

Is a collection of scripts that you can download and it will help you with the installation. Read it carefully, it’s a wonderful guide.

Cheers!

• @karasu

I decided to not use that guide and instead just installed xorg-server and then i3-gaps which worked without any problems. But thank you anyway. I knew about that guide beforehand but I wanted to know if there was a simpler way and if it was possible to simply install i3 onto Antergos Base without doing anything complicated.

base5 Posts 7Views 2127