• Howdy

I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.

I’ve been using various distros for the last 7 years, but I had never found anything I really wanted to stick with until I discovered SolusOS, a couple years ago. After that project was abandoned, I moved back to Linux Mint and Linux Mint Debian Edition. Everything worked well, but I still found myself wanting something a little different. I noticed Max (maxpro4u) posting a lot about Antergos on Google+, so i started snooping around. I was never one to stray very far from Debian and Debian-based distros, but I decided to see if Max was pulling everyone’s leg.

Wow. Max, you were absolutely correct. After only a couple hours since installing Antergos, i can say I am really impressed. I am running the Cinnamon version and I am amazed at how fast this old machine is running.

I’ve been getting software installed and I’ve hit a snag with trying to install Shutter. I will have to get settled in and then see what I need to do to get it working, but other than that, Antergos is earning some really high scores with me.

• I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.

I’ve been using various distros for the last 7 years, but I had never found anything I really wanted to stick with until I discovered SolusOS, a couple years ago. After that project was abandoned, I moved back to Linux Mint and Linux Mint Debian Edition. Everything worked well, but I still found myself wanting something a little different. I noticed Max (maxpro4u) posting a lot about Antergos on Google+, so i started snooping around. I was never one to stray very far from Debian and Debian-based distros, but I decided to see if Max was pulling everyone’s leg.

Wow. Max, you were absolutely correct. After only a couple hours since installing Antergos, i can say I am really impressed. I am running the Cinnamon version and I am amazed at how fast this old machine is running.

I’ve been getting software installed and I’ve hit a snag with trying to install Shutter. I will have to get settled in and then see what I need to do to get it working, but other than that, Antergos is earning some really high scores with me.

• Good to see you here! I just installed Shutter using the AUR build. It took a while as there are many dependencies to be met. I don’t know if it makes a difference but if you are using 64bit, enable the multi-lib repo. I was getting some errors installing a few things and after enabling multi,everything was fine.
    $ yaourt shutter

[img:1pt1tebw]http://i59.tinypic.com/33e3r08.png[/img:1pt1tebw]
    [b:1pt1tebw]Don't forget to mark your thread as [SOLVED] [/b:1pt1tebw]

• Thanks, Max.

This is a 32 bit machine. I am wanting to install Antergos on the iMac I use as my daily driver, but Shutter is one of those must-have tools for me. I own a few forums and Shutter’s editing abilities on screenshots is just the ticket for me, when answering trouble tickets. As soon as I can work my way through getting Shutter installed on this one, I will try a 64 bit install on the iMac.

I should probably say that although I have run Linux for a few years, I really am not a techno-geek. I prefer my operating system to work for me, rather than my having to work on it. I keep saying I am going to start delving deeper into technical aspects, but as long as distros can keep me being productive, then I just keep plugging along.

• I’ve found that it is usually not needed to edit pkfiles so when the installer asks say no.

• It looks like the snag occurs when trying to build libxml-perl. I get an error saying -

==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
    Aborting…
    ==> ERROR: Makepkg was unable to build libxml-perl.

• you should reboot and try again

• Well, as much as I really like my 32 bit Antergos install (with the exception of not being able to install Shutter), the 64 bit version has worn me down to dust.

After two, separate downloads, on two,separate computers, running two, different Linux flavors, I was never able to get booted into a 64 bit Live environment. After a lot of hunting, I finally found mention of the testing .iso, so I downloaded it and tried booting a system with it. On the first attempt, the boot process ground to a halt after starting the Network Manager. I shut the machine down and tried a second time. With marginal success, as I actually got into the Live environment. But (and this was a first), it refused to recognize my wired connection. I’ve run Debian from Sid to Stable, Mint, LMDE, openSUSE, Mandriva, PCLinuxOS and various Alpha, Beta and Stable releases of SolusOS on that machine, and never had any of them fail to recognize a wired connection. ??? And no matter what Wiki suggestion I tried, I never could get that machine online.

So I booted my laptop into the 64 bit Live environment. It immediately saw my wireless connection, so I plugged a cable in and it picked right up on that, as well. I installed everything with Cinnamon and everything seemed to be working. I even managed to get Shutter installed. Suddenly, I realized there was no clock on the panel, so I opened the applets menu in Cinnamon settings, only to discover the menu is blank, as is the Themes menu, the Desklets menu and the Extensions menu.

I’ve been wrestling with one problem after another for over 4 hours. When I realized I could have re-installed a fully-operational Alpha version of SolusOS 2, which is an abandoned project, in less than 10 minutes, I decided it was time to gracefully retreat from Antergos. I am even more disappointed about that, than I am frustrated with all the snags Antergos threw at me. I really like how smoothly and how fast Antergos runs, but I use my computers to help support myself, so I cannot be spending time researching every last jot and tittle on this wiki or that Web page. I’ll keep an eye on how Antergos progresses, and will likely keep the 32 bit install on my test machine. I hope the rough edges get polished off, and if they do, I will certainly be ready to give Antergos another shot. Until then, I need a distro that will work for me, rather than against me.

Max, I appreciate your input and will see you over on G+.

• I hear ya! It seems that arch decided to break xiphos today and I am using fedora20 now.

• Just to update all of this, I have never been able to get Antergos installed on my iMac, but it is running on two of my PCs, as well as my laptop. And I am delighted with how well it is working for me. My iMac used to be my daily driver, but a week ago, I rearranged the systems to get a Dell XPS-8100 with Antergos moved onto the desk where the iMac once sat. And now, the iMac is pretty much going ignored, although it has a wonderful install of Mint 16/Cinnamon on it. Mint works fine, but it just doesn’t have the same attraction I’ve discovered with Antergos.

I’ve always been bound at the hip to Debian and Debian-based distros, so I figured trying to learn a new system would be difficult. Actually, I’ve been enjoying the time I’ve been spending, learning some of the ins and outs. And don’t even get me started on package availability, because it seems everything is there, just waiting for me. I bet if I tried a yaourt -S Heaven, it would tell me Antergos is already installed.

I’ve always said I just want a distro to install, to work and to stay out of my way, so I can get things accomplished. Antergos is doing all of that, and providing a measure of excitement, along the way. Using a computer is a lot more enjoyable, when the operating system is this much fun. I’ve been a fan of Cinnamon since it’s initial release and as far as I am concerned, Antergos with a Cinnamon desktop is a work of art.

• Hi Mike
    Did you ever get shutter installed? The website seems to have been down for quite some days. I ran yaourt on shutter and installed a bucket load of perl stuff but it could not get the shutter source code from shutter-project.org.

To do a quick and dirty test I downloaded a rpm from [rpmfind[/url:1bj9k4zc] and used rpmextract.sh (Arch repo= to get the contents. To my surprise it ran ok from within a terminal window, complained about some unity stuff.

Have not copied it to the /usr folder as I should make a pkg file to install it properly I guess.

regards
    Martin]0

• @“maxpro4u”:328m7v3m said:

I hear ya! It seems that arch decided to break xiphos today and I am using fedora20 now.[/quote:328m7v3m]

Looks like a problem with GTK. I could fix the download link (version is now 3.2.0) but [i:328m7v3m]config[/i:328m7v3m] failed with error that gtk libs could not be found:

Checking for GNOME related libs  
    > pkg-config --errors-to-stdout --print-errors "gconf-2.0" "gmodule-2.0" "glib-2.0" "libgsf-1 \>= 1.14" "libxml-2.0" --cflags --libs libglade-2.0 webkit-1.0 "gtk+-2.0 \>= 2.14" "gtkhtml-editor" "libgtkhtml-3.14 \>= 3.23"   
    > Package gtkhtml-editor was not found in the pkg-config search path.  
    > Perhaps you should add the directory containing \`gtkhtml-editor.pc'  
    > to the PKG\_CONFIG\_PATH environment variable  
    > No package 'gtkhtml-editor' found  
    > Package libgtkhtml-3.14 was not found in the pkg-config search path.  
    > Perhaps you should add the directory containing \`libgtkhtml-3.14.pc'  
    > to the PKG\_CONFIG\_PATH environment variable  
    > No package 'libgtkhtml-3.14' found  
    > not found

I downloaded the PKGBUILD file with cower -d xiphos, ran makepkg, got the error and then looked again at the configure file for xiphos:

\#!/bin/sh  
    > cat - <<\\EOF  
    > ----------------------------------------------------------------  
    > "configure" is no longer used in building Xiphos.  
    >   
    > please run "./waf --help" to understand current build habits.  
    > for recent (i.e. gnome3) linux and unix, we recommend  
    > ./waf configure --prefix=/usr --debug-level=optimized --enable-webkit-editor  
    > for distribution-ready builds.  
    > then  
    > ./waf build  
    > and  
    > sudo ./waf install  
    >   
    > note that the --backend option is gone -- only webkit is used now.  
    > ----------------------------------------------------------------  
    > EOF  
    > exit 1  
    > 

Aha, not a normal configure file.
    To see what was happening I ran the ./waf configure … and it worked, although told me my sword-svn was not up to date. Fixed that with a yaourt sword-svn.

With a bit of tinkering, the PKGBUILD file that worked for me looks like:

\# Maintainer: Menche <menche\_mt at yahoo dot com\>  
    > \# Contributor: Alexander Rødseth <[email protected]\>  
    > \# Contributor: Andrea Scarpino  
    > \# Contributor: Stefan Husmann <[email protected]\>  
    > \# Contributor: TripleE <[email protected]\>  
    > \# =======================================================  
    > \# Xiphos is now at version 3.2.0, need new sha256sum as well  
    > \# Download link needed some adjustment to work for me  
    > \# MJF 201405010  
    > \#  
    > pkgname=xiphos  
    > pkgver=3.2.0  
    > pkgrel=1  
    > pkgdesc="Bible study tool for GTK+"  
    > arch=('x86\_64' 'i686')  
    > url="http://xiphos.org/"  
    > license=('GPL')  
    > depends=('webkitgtk2' 'libgsf' 'libglade' 'gtkhtml4' 'sword')  
    > makedepends=('waf' 'gnome-doc-utils' 'intltool' 'python2')  
    > conflicts=('gnomesword')  
    > provides=('gnomesword')  
    > replaces=('gnomesword')  
    > install=xiphos.install  
    > \# source=("http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gnomesword/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz")  
    > source=("http://optimate.dl.sourceforge.net/project/gnomesword/Xiphos/3.2.0/xiphos-3.2.0.tar.gz")  
    > sha256sums=('06684363a4f52cc15089ac9409841501661927aca91fdeda9b421f4cf6eb8e31')  
    >   
    > build() {  
    > cd "$pkgname-$pkgver"  
    >   
    > sed -i '0,/python/s//python2/' waf  
    > \# ./waf configure --gtk=2 --prefix=/usr  
    > \# replace the above line with that below  
    > ./waf configure --prefix=/usr --debug-level=optimized --enable-webkit-editor  
    >   
    > ./waf build  
    > }  
    >   
    > package() {  
    > cd "$pkgname-$pkgver"  
    >   
    > ./waf install --destdir="$pkgdir"  
    > }  
    >   
    > \# vim:set ts=2 sw=2 et:  
    > 

I could then install the .pkg.tar.xz file with pacman -U xiphos…

Hope this helps
    regards
    Martin

• @“badwolf9”:1w9q81gc said:

Did you ever get shutter installed?[/quote:1w9q81gc]
    Yes, I did get it installed. There was an issue with base-devel not being installed. Once I added that, Shutter slid right into place.

Thanks to lots.0.logs for picking up on the problem and getting me on the right track.

Posts 13Views 2017