• How do I successfully install linux-mainline from the AUR?

I already installed linux-mainline once before but it would not boot, no matter what I edited in grub.cfg. According to some knowledgeable folks, this was due to the fact that I hadn’t edited the PKGBUILD. I am currently in the PKGBUILD and have not the faintest idea of what I am meant to edit to have a successful installation. I am also not sure which modules I am meant to have in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf to see any progress. Reading through the Arch wiki isn’t helping, unless I am looking in the wrong place or am too daft to see that what I am looking at is what I need.

The reason I wish to switch to linux-mainline is that my my AMD GPU requires Linux 3.13 at the minimum to be able to boot and display anything, while Linux 3.14 will give AMD’s open source driver for the card a considerable performance boost. I sadly keep hitting a brick wall, and not just with this particular issue.

• I already installed linux-mainline once before but it would not boot, no matter what I edited in grub.cfg. According to some knowledgeable folks, this was due to the fact that I hadn’t edited the PKGBUILD. I am currently in the PKGBUILD and have not the faintest idea of what I am meant to edit to have a successful installation. I am also not sure which modules I am meant to have in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf to see any progress. Reading through the Arch wiki isn’t helping, unless I am looking in the wrong place or am too daft to see that what I am looking at is what I need.

The reason I wish to switch to linux-mainline is that my my AMD GPU requires Linux 3.13 at the minimum to be able to boot and display anything, while Linux 3.14 will give AMD’s open source driver for the card a considerable performance boost. I sadly keep hitting a brick wall, and not just with this particular issue.

• Hi,

The 3.14 kernel will make it into the core repo soon. The Arch devs started working on it a week or so ago. In fact, its in the testing repo now so you could give it a try. Before you do that I recommend installing the LTS kernel just so you have a backup kernel to boot with in the event the 3.14 isn’t bootable. Let me know how it goes

Cheers!

Posts 3Views 829