• live usb hangs on black screen after making boot selection

the live usb will boot but will not boot into the desktop to install, both uefi and legacy. i have used the dd command and imagewriter on multiple usb drives. all will work on my laptop but not my desktop (which is where im trying to install it). secure boot and fast boot are disabled in my bios. im at a loss here and its extremely frustrating…any ideas?

• Hi @slade752,

When you say ‘hang’ does it literally lock up the system and become unresponsive to any input or can you change TTY session using CTRL+ALT+F[1-6]?

Also, what hardware are you using?

Regards,

jdmac

• I have the exact same issue. Just downloaded the ISO today. It’ll boot to the splash screen, but once I press enter to boot into live, I just get a black screen. I tried all the different boot options at the bottom and same issue. Weird thing is, the only distro that’ll boot on this computer is Ubuntu 16.04 and Linux Mint 18 (although I had Nvidia issues with Mint) Not sure why.

My desktop:
    Asus ROG-G20
    Intel i5
    Intel HD graphics and Nvidia GeForce GTX 750
    8GB RAM

• Try to start up with one more boot parameter; it may be added to the boot line at the bottom of the LiveMedia screen:

modprobe.blacklist=nouveau

• Sorry, forgot to mention I tried that option as well with no success. I added it after “quiet splash” with no success and before with no success.

• If the BIOS allows to choose between Integrated (Intel) and Discrete (Optimus, Nvidia) GPUs, then disable Discrete GPU. Make sure the computer will use Integrated GPU.

If the BIOS has video GPU Detection by OS option, and if it is enabled, disable it as well.

• My suggestion was going to be the same as @just because I have had the same problem.

Since that doesn’t resolve it for you, look to boot without “quiet splash” so you can see where it is getting to.

Atleast that way you get more of an idea, try to watch for any failures and errors.

EDIT: I would try checking what @just has proposed in BIOS first.

• This post is deleted!
  • If I disable the second part in BIOS like you say, then I won’t be able to install the need Nvidia driver card right?

• Disabled Nvidia in BIOS and working with Intel HD graphics only now and changed the cable to do this. Still exact same black screen with nothing after splash screen. No words or mouse either. Tried to remove “quiet splash” with black screen still. Thought it was a kernel thing since Ubuntu 14.04 wouldn’t work but 16.04 does. Guess not the case since Antergos ships with the most recent Kernel right? This stinks and I want it to work lol Solus wouldn’t work either.

• @platt478 said in live usb hangs on black screen after making boot selection:

Disabled Nvidia in BIOS and working with Intel HD graphics only now and changed the cable to do this. Still exact same black screen with nothing after splash screen. No words or mouse either. Tried to remove “quiet splash” with black screen still. Thought it was a kernel thing since Ubuntu 14.04 wouldn’t work but 16.04 does. Guess not the case since Antergos ships with the most recent Kernel right? This stinks and I want it to work lol Solus wouldn’t work either.

Was there any text or output shown when you booted without “quiet splash”?

• Try adding nomodeset to the boot parameters in grub; that allowed me to boot after having the same problem, but the graphics are extremely low resolution. I suspect Intel Haswell+ graphics issues with the kernel included with the installer (I have a Skylake Xeon with the 530 GPU and it has the same problem).

• I removed “quiet splash” and still no text. Only black screen. I also tried adding “nomodeset” to the boot parameters in grub w/ same issue :( No idea what else to do?

• can’t help but for was it is worth for:
    My MacBook Pro (UEFI) graphics/display hardware is: Intel HD Graphics 4000 + NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
    And only with rEFInd first installed in the EFI (ESP) partition i can boot into almost all Linux distributions Live USB’s i have dd created. The three latest Antergos iso’s boot without modifying GRUB.

(except BunsenLab (no UEFI version?) and openSUSE)

www . rods books . com/refind/installing.html#windows

The spaces in the URL are there because otherwise Akismet blocks my reply.

• Also have this issue. Maybe an issue with the uefi system on the board? My board is uefi but does support legacy. I can also live boot into ubuntu insallation media but after install and reboot it does not want to boot. With this one i click boot into efi installer and the only words i can see, for like half a milli second is: SEcure-boot not active. Would love to get antergos up and running asap, need to get back into the linux world

• Not trying to be disrespectful, but seems Manjaro will at least boot on this machine in live mode, so not sure what’s going on? :( But, course Manjaro has an issue where it won’t boot after I install it LOL

hangs10 live31 black30 usb52 Posts 16Views 1342