• Black screen instead of login screen

Hello, I just installed Antergos on a external hard drive.
    But when I boot it, instead of a login screen there is just a black screen with visible mouse pointer.

I’m using Openbox and tried MATE too, same problem.

My specs:

CPU
    Intel Core i7 2670QM @ 2.20GHz
    Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
    RAM
    8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Motherboard
    MEDION X682X (SOCKET 0)
    Graphics
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 (MSI)
    1535MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M (MSI)

Thank you.

• @Spewks when u’re installing, are u checking nvidia and amd drivers?

• @johnmcmuffin I tried it checked and unchecked, its the same result.

• Try to boot with one additional parameter:

modprobe.blacklist=nouveau

• @just Nope that didn’t work.
    In case I did it wrong because I’m new: http://i.imgur.com/ziJ2kWq.jpg

• @Spewks said

when I boot it, instead of a login screen there is just a black screen with visible mouse pointer.

Sorry if I sound silly (I m no expert with NVIDIAs) but when was the installation done?
    Could the issue with the broken LIGHTDM be the culprit here, so entering a TTY screen and getting the latest updates worth a try??

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 18.04 64bit Gnome
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @Spewks said in Black screen instead of login screen:

In case I did it wrong…

You did it in a wrong way. The parameter must be added to the kernel’s boot line, not as a command in the grub shell (on the photo).

To add a parameter to kernel’s boot lines, press e to start editing them. There are two lines. The first one starts with “kernel …”. You must edit this one.

Ar the bottom of the screen Grub 2 lists all keys you can use to move around.

At the end of the first line add ** modprobe.blacklist=nouveau **. Separate it with one or more spaces from preceeding parameters. Place one or more spaces after added parameter.

Press F10, or another key suggested by Grub 2 at the bottom, to boot with the modified “kernel …” boot line.

I do not use Grub 2 boot loader and don’t remember all its editing keys, so I may be wrong with the keys. Search somewhere how to edit the boot line(s) in Grub 2.

• @anarch This is my second install and I didn’t check the nvidia drivers this time (I thought that was causing the problems but no)
    I updated my system but the problem was still there.
    I reinstalled lightdm-webkit2-greeter and lightdm, now the login screen appears but when I login I get a grey screen… 😐

• @Spewks If is MATE DE there is a bug with it that display a grey screen…

Portergos site
    https://github.com/Portergos/portergos-iso

Still in love with Antergos (default OS)
    I3wm

Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @fernandomaroto Nope its openbox

• @just This is the only line with kernel I see:

echo ‘loading linux kernel…’

• When you see Grub 2 menu on the screen, press the e key. It will place you in the edit mode for currently selected menu option. You’ll be able to modify the boot parameters, adding the new one.

Edit

Probably, in Grub 2 the kernel loading line starts not with “kernel …” but with “linux …”.

It may look like

linux /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=aaaa-bbbb-cccc-ddd-eee quiet splash

Add the new parameter at the end:

linux /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=aaaa-bbbb-cccc-ddd-eee quiet splash modprobe.blacklist=nouveau

Press Ctrl+x to boot with it.

• @just It indeed starts with linux, now I get it.
    I did how you told me, but it still doesn’t work.

I don’t think its a problem with nvidia

After reinstalling lightdm-webkit2-greeter the login screen appears but when I login I get a grey screen.

After reinstalling lightdm-webkit2-greeter the login screen appears but when I login I get a grey screen.

Can’t help with lightdm-webkit2-greeter, because I substitute it with lightdm-gtk-greeter, and then skip it entirely with autologin.

• @Spewks said

don’t think its a problem with nvidia

Did you run the live media(Try Antergos) before installing it? Were there any issues there?

Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500

• @anarch Yes, and I didn’t had any problems.

• The only idea I can come up with is trying another DM. There were a number of reports where some systems did not like lightdm at all and refused to work with it…

@fernandomaroto Nope its openbox

i don’t use openbox, but look this link… [https://forum.antergos.com/topic/5869/openbox/4]([link url]

It seems openbox is broken (MATE as well)

PS: so i guessing is not a Login manager problem, but a DE problem

Portergos site
    https://github.com/Portergos/portergos-iso

Still in love with Antergos (default OS)
    I3wm

Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @fernandomaroto So I picked a broken DE twice…

Tomorrow I’ll try to reinstall it with a different DE and see what that gives.

Thanks for the help everyone

• @just Have also tried this one. After booting I only get a blackscreen with a blinking underline character. Never had so many problems with Antergos… An older version in December run flawlessly…

@Spewks Yeah please keep us up to date if changing fixes the problem.

login99 black61 Posts 28Views 8017
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.