• Like 0

Black screen instead of login screen

Hello, I just installed Antergos on a external hard drive.
    But when I boot it, instead of a login screen there is just a black screen with visible mouse pointer.

I’m using Openbox and tried MATE too, same problem.

My specs:

CPU
    Intel Core i7 2670QM @ 2.20GHz
    Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
    RAM
    8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Motherboard
    MEDION X682X (SOCKET 0)
    Graphics
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 (MSI)
    1535MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M (MSI)

Thank you.

• Like 0

@Spewks when u’re installing, are u checking nvidia and amd drivers?

• Like 0

@johnmcmuffin I tried it checked and unchecked, its the same result.

• Like 0

Try to boot with one additional parameter:

modprobe.blacklist=nouveau

• Like 0

@just Nope that didn’t work.
    In case I did it wrong because I’m new: http://i.imgur.com/ziJ2kWq.jpg

• Like 0

@Spewks said

when I boot it, instead of a login screen there is just a black screen with visible mouse pointer.

Sorry if I sound silly (I m no expert with NVIDIAs) but when was the installation done?
    Could the issue with the broken LIGHTDM be the culprit here, so entering a TTY screen and getting the latest updates worth a try??

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.04 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• Like 0

@Spewks said in Black screen instead of login screen:

In case I did it wrong…

You did it in a wrong way. The parameter must be added to the kernel’s boot line, not as a command in the grub shell (on the photo).

To add a parameter to kernel’s boot lines, press e to start editing them. There are two lines. The first one starts with “kernel …”. You must edit this one.

Ar the bottom of the screen Grub 2 lists all keys you can use to move around.

At the end of the first line add ** modprobe.blacklist=nouveau **. Separate it with one or more spaces from preceeding parameters. Place one or more spaces after added parameter.

Press F10, or another key suggested by Grub 2 at the bottom, to boot with the modified “kernel …” boot line.

I do not use Grub 2 boot loader and don’t remember all its editing keys, so I may be wrong with the keys. Search somewhere how to edit the boot line(s) in Grub 2.

• Like 0

@anarch This is my second install and I didn’t check the nvidia drivers this time (I thought that was causing the problems but no)
    I updated my system but the problem was still there.
    I reinstalled lightdm-webkit2-greeter and lightdm, now the login screen appears but when I login I get a grey screen… :|

• Like 0

@Spewks If is MATE DE there is a bug with it that display a grey screen…

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    MATE desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

• Like 0

@fernandomaroto Nope its openbox

• Like 0

@just This is the only line with kernel I see:

echo ‘loading linux kernel…’

• Like 0

When you see Grub 2 menu on the screen, press the e key. It will place you in the edit mode for currently selected menu option. You’ll be able to modify the boot parameters, adding the new one.

Edit

Probably, in Grub 2 the kernel loading line starts not with “kernel …” but with “linux …”.

It may look like

linux /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=aaaa-bbbb-cccc-ddd-eee quiet splash

Add the new parameter at the end:

linux /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=aaaa-bbbb-cccc-ddd-eee quiet splash modprobe.blacklist=nouveau

Press Ctrl+x to boot with it.

• Like 0

@just It indeed starts with linux, now I get it.
    I did how you told me, but it still doesn’t work.

I don’t think its a problem with nvidia

After reinstalling lightdm-webkit2-greeter the login screen appears but when I login I get a grey screen.

• Like 0

After reinstalling lightdm-webkit2-greeter the login screen appears but when I login I get a grey screen.

Can’t help with lightdm-webkit2-greeter, because I substitute it with lightdm-gtk-greeter, and then skip it entirely with autologin.

• Like 0

@Spewks said

don’t think its a problem with nvidia

Did you run the live media(Try Antergos) before installing it? Were there any issues there?

Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500

• Like 0

@anarch Yes, and I didn’t had any problems.

• Like 0

The only idea I can come up with is trying another DM. There were a number of reports where some systems did not like lightdm at all and refused to work with it…

• Like 0

@fernandomaroto Nope its openbox

i don’t use openbox, but look this link… [https://forum.antergos.com/topic/5869/openbox/4]([link url]

It seems openbox is broken (MATE as well)

PS: so i guessing is not a Login manager problem, but a DE problem

MATE desktop
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

• Like 0

@fernandomaroto So I picked a broken DE twice…

Tomorrow I’ll try to reinstall it with a different DE and see what that gives.

Thanks for the help everyone

• Like 0

@just Have also tried this one. After booting I only get a blackscreen with a blinking underline character. Never had so many problems with Antergos… An older version in December run flawlessly…

@Spewks Yeah please keep us up to date if changing fixes the problem.

• Like 0

@Spewks You don’t need to install all the system again, just another DE, if this is really the problem.

MATE desktop
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

login53 black27 Posts 28Views 1332