• Webkit2GTK 2.14.3 update prevents LightDM from loading

Webkit2GTK got an new update yesterday and it’s causing an issue where LightDM doesn’t load during boot. What logs are needed?

I managed to circumvent it by installing the previous version, but will go back for the update to get the logs.

Thanks!

• Same issue here. As a workaround I have disabled lightdm and installed gdm and back into my laptop. I am still interested to see a workaround to keep lightdm running.
    Let me know the type of help I can provide.

PS: Forgot to add the error message

** (lightdm-webkit2-greeter:685): WARNING **: Error running javascript: An exception was raised in JavaScript

• I have seen erors often with lightdm on this forum. Why not just insall SDDM. I have never had any issues. Customizeable.

• @herbie one more screw up with lightdm and I will try your sddm ;-)

• @dirkme I think it should be fixed. Yesterday was (again?) a new patch. For me it works know.

• actually, I changed to sddm and it looks fine too. Lightdm is a little nicer but having no more black screen in the future is worth the switch ;-)

• @dirkme Great to hear ;)

• I made the change to SDDM too, seems to work better than LightDM. I just wish it had a lockscreen feature.

• What worries me most is this pacman warning!

>WARNING: WebKitGTK+ 2.4 is known to have many security vulnerabilities that will NOT be fixed. Avoid browsing with it

@dirkme said

Lightdm is a little nicer but having no more black screen in the future is worth the switch

There s a sddm configuration module foe the KDE desktop sddm-kcm

• I haven t looked (in pamac) if there s an equivalent for other desktops.

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @anarch said in Webkit2GTK 2.14.3 update prevents LightDM from loading:

What worries me most is this pacman warning!

>WARNING: WebKitGTK+ 2.4 is known to have many security vulnerabilities that will NOT be fixed. Avoid browsing with it

@dirkme said

Lightdm is a little nicer but having no more black screen in the future is worth the switch

There s a sddm configuration module foe the KDE desktop sddm-kcm

• I haven t looked (in pamac) if there s an equivalent for other desktops.

Devs are working on moving to QtWebEngine:

“With that in mind we are currently working on moving to QtWebEngine as the backend (which is based on Chromium). Our hope is that QtWebEngine will prove to be more stable than WebKitGTK has been.”

Source: https://github.com/Antergos/Cnchi/issues/693

• @got-it-man , didn t know that. Got it man!!! :clap:

Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500

• @anarch Glad if I can help and contribute ;) This Antergos community is a lot more welcoming than the Arch :P

• @got-it-man Yea, at Arch all you get is… check the Wikki :-)

• Hello everyone! Its my first post in these forums. I am still a bit confused by this issue. I downgraded webkit2gtk package so that lightdm works again.

I read that the issue has since been resolved. But I haven’t seen an update to the lightdm-webkit2-greeter package (my antergos install shows 2.2.1 as the latest version) nor any update to the webkit2gtk package other than 2.14.3 that caused the issue in the first place in my available updates.

Should I wait longer for the updated packages or was the issue fixed in webkit2gtk 2.14.3 package and the version just didn’t change?

Thank you.

• @DimitrisC said

nor any update to the webkit2gtk package other than 2.14.3 that caused the issue

webkit2gtk version is now 2.14.3-1. If this is the version you have, then the issue with “lightdm-webkit2-greeter” should have been fixed.

• Just updated to webkit2gtk-2.14.3-1 and the problem is still there. Just a black screen and a mouse cursor instead of lightdm.

Had to downgrade again to webkit2gtk-2.14.2-2 to bypass the issue.

Seems I should wait longer for another update or an update to the lightdm-webkit2-greeter package.

• @DimitrisC just switch to sddm, it looks almost as nice as lightdm but hazzle free ;-)

• I did a fresh install with a fresh ISO from last week. The issue was still persistent and ended up with a black screen. Took a console and updated my system. Ended with webkit2gtk-2.14.3-1 and the issue was gone.

• @dirkme said in Webkit2GTK 2.14.3 update prevents LightDM from loading:

@DimitrisC just switch to sddm, it looks almost as nice as lightdm but hazzle free ;-)

I will do exactly that! :)

• @DimitrisC I wanted to wait till next trouble, then I thought: why? So I did it already and it looks nice too.

prevents2 2.14.31 webkit2gtk2 lightdm96 Posts 21Views 2865